X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about purchase

Hi,

I'm the owner of www.Applianceblog.com
    I use WowBB 1.65 currently as my board, it has been almost a year now, but i do like this board much better.
    My Moderators have been not happy about the new upgrade WowBB just did with the text editor as far as no choice between standard and WYSIWYG in their firefox browser's.

But I'm abit nervous about importing to this board because I'm afraid of losing my search engine forum post links, which makes up about half of my traffic.

If i can be sure i won't lose that traffic, i would gladly switch over.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeAppliance; Mon 18 Jul '05, 10:12am.
    Applianceblog.com forums

Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

If you're site's staying on the same URL and the forum is in the same place, I don't think search should be affected too much outside of a few days I think. Not too sure of that, but I switched a few forum systems before and search engine links were unaffected.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Yes, its staying in the exact same place, which is another question,

I read about what Jerry said, to keep my old running while testing some imports on the new board, but if i upload this new board, wouldn't i have to upload it to my same directory "/forums" as the old board?

Or would i make a new directory like "/forums2" to test, then rename the directory back to "/forums" when all was done?

Thanks,

Jake
      Applianceblog.com forums

Comment

/forums2 is fine.

Comment

Both should work. ImpEx won't actually need the files, but rather access to the database to import.

Also, as wowBB probably doesn't use the same filenames and variables as vBulletin, search engine links to direkt pages will probably fail. What you can do is make any pages that would give a 404 error a redirect to your forums main page, with htaccess.
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Ok, I just thought that there might be a way of importing threads and posts to just transfer over with the same identical links, but the htaccess redirect would probably be ok.

I could just explain to my guests and members about the old links coming to the main board till the search engine bots re-index the site with the new links.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Jake
            Applianceblog.com forums

Comment

Yes good.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X