Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naive question?

Hello,

So you know where I'm coming from, I've never done anything like starting a forum or even publishing a web page. I do work in the IT field and am familiar with HTML/CSS as well as programming languages like C, C++ etc. I'm really eager to get started with this.

I've been reading the vBulletin help file and have just received the OK to start a work related forum and wanted to clear something up first. I'm assuming that I'll be able to load the software on my PC (WinXP) so that I can customize it before putting it on the web. Is that correct or must I get it online to begin to tweak it?

If I am correct, to further the discussion, is that how a lot (most/all) of users make major modifications, like appearance, to an active forum by doing the testing offline and then uploading the modified files?

I realize the best way to learn is to jump in and get started, which I'll do in the next few days when I have some time, but wanted to get a little more of an understanding than I did from the help file. Thanks in advance,

Mark

you will have to install apache/mysql/php on your computer first if you want to customise it before uploading to the web.

I use:

http://www.appservnetwork.com/

Comment

Originally posted by markv
      If I am correct, to further the discussion, is that how a lot (most/all) of users make major modifications, like appearance, to an active forum by doing the testing offline and then uploading the modified files?
      Appearance is not a "major modification" and is not done by downloading or editing files. The appearance of vBulletin is controlled by HTML templates and CSS which is handled through the built-in Template Editor.

Comment

what are you talking about?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X