Old User Coming Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old User Coming Back

It's been awhile since I ran a forum .. about to jump back into the game and know that vBulletin was the perfect forum for what I need. Just a couple of questions before I invest:

1) Does the newest board give you the ability to change the look of each individual forum? (i.e. - Forum Car is Red while Forum Bus is Blue)

2) I remember that someone created a hack that allowed vBulletin to control your main page .. basically the entire site (posts were put to the front page for news etc.) .. does this hack still exist and will it work with the newer versions?

3) If the hack above does still exist would someone out there be willing (for a fee) to help me install it (and how much)?

Thanks!
    ~Kat

Aracnakat, I'm not 100% sure about the first question, but yes there is software available that allows you to control your frontpage (I call them "portals"), and if you are interested, I will install it for you (or help you, whichever you prefer), just PM me, or IM me, and we can arrange the conditions.

Thank You
    -steve

Comment

Thanks for the offer to help Steve, that's very much appreciated. I still need to buy my domain and get a web provider (this is going to be an adventure in itself I think).

My 1st question probably doesn't make any sense ... as a better example, using this message board .. there are seperate categories or forums. The one we are in now is the vBulletin Sales Forum. So my question would be:

Can the following forums "look" differently.

*vBulletin Sales Forum: Blue with graphic set 1
      *vBulletin 3.5 Forums: Red with graphic set 2
      *vBulletin 3.0 Forums: Green with graphic set 3

**the term graphic set is used only to indicate that each forum would have different graphics for things like "Post Reply" button etc.

Blah blah blah .. I make no sense to myself, I hope that someone out there understands what I'm trying to communicate

~Kat

Comment

Answer: Yes each forum can have its own custom style
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

You have a lot of control over this. You could have all the same graphics between the 3 styles BUT Green with graphic set 3 has a different set of buttons and status icons, for example.

Comment

Thanks! I thought so .. I believe this could be done back when I owned my forums before.

~Kat

Comment

But with vB3, you have inheritable styles. Didn't have that with vB3. Let's say you wanted to have 2 styles. If you changed ONE template in style 1 and wanted that change in style 2, you had to make a copy of style 1. Then, as you made improvements to any of the templates in style 1, you'd have to also make those changes to the same templates in style 2.

Now, you can have 2 styles with one inheriting templates from the other.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                But with vB3, you have inheritable styles. Didn't have that with vB3. Let's say you wanted to have 2 styles. If you changed ONE template in style 1 and wanted that change in style 2, you had to make a copy of style 1. Then, as you made improvements to any of the templates in style 1, you'd have to also make those changes to the same templates in style 2.

Now, you can have 2 styles with one inheriting templates from the other.
                Indeed...

There are several frontpage/portal modifications available on vBulletin.org

Depending on which version of vBulletin you are using (3.0.7 or 3.5.0 Beta 4) there are 2 main portals that I know of that do a similar job

These are vBindex3 and vBadvanced...

There is a slight performance and ease-of-installation advantage to installing vBindex3, however vBadvanced is a slightly more modular system, with additional scripts that plug-in to it

If you need assistance choosing and/or installing either of these on 3.0.7, please feel free to PM me

Satan

Comment

Originally posted by Aracnakat
                  1) Does the newest board give you the ability to change the look of each individual forum? (i.e. - Forum Car is Red while Forum Bus is Blue)
                  Yes. I've got a standard template that I use for most of the subforums, but there's a few special templates that I use for sponsored subforums. You can use an inherited/parent-child style, but my alternative templates don't.

Default style
                  http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Branded subforums
                  http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
                  http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27
                  http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

You can also use different button sets with different templates if you want.
                  Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                  http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X