my phpbb got hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidpaddle
    Everyone praises VBulletin here. Couldn't we expect that on the official VBulletin forum?

I began to love discussion boards on Internet as soon as they appeared. I know VBulletin since early releases, and liked it. I still do, by the way

I'm not a web expect, but I started to play with an online portal to see and understand how easy this can be set up. I'm running a site with open source code only, including phpBB as discussion forum.

I must say I'd like to swith to vBulletin, but we're a really small community, and I'm used to pay between $50 and $100 for software. $160 is a bit too much for a discussion forum used by so few people, in my case.

Security vulnerabilities happens with phpBB, but it's biggest advantage is that it's free, and yet supported. If you run a site for close friends, phpBB is a good option.

That said, that's true: vBuletin is a very good forum. I may buy it in the future, if I have any real use of a web site with a discussion forum.
    I used phpbb for a secondary forum, and thought some of the same things because that community wasn't worth $160 to me. However, having phpbb on my server puts the whole server at risk. Hackers gained access to my server through phpbb. I thought keeping things up to date would be enough, but it isn't. If you run phpbb, you're putting a target on yourself.

Anyway, I bought a second license the other night and transferred my second forum over to vB. I feel much better now, and the members like the better features.

Comment

so there are no themes included with the purchase of VB?
      lincolnsofdistinction.org

Comment

Originally posted by mikecp421
        so there are no themes included with the purchase of VB?
        No, but there are many available for download on this site, vbulletin.org and vbulletin-style.com. They're very simple to insatll.

Comment

are they free? Or are there costs associated?

Comment

There are a number of free vBulletin Styles available to licensed customers here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

You can see most of these in action here:

http://www.vbullletin-styles.com
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              that link doesn't work for me.

Comment

Try this one http://www.vbulletin-styles.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                  Wait.. your saying vBulletin isn't good for large sites O.o ?
                  No for small sites
                  come on zach

Comment

omg I just bought it and I don't know what to do next! lol, I have to somehow move my phpbb to vb without pulling my hair out

Comment

Originally posted by mikecp421
                      omg I just bought it and I don't know what to do next! lol, I have to somehow move my phpbb to vb without pulling my hair out
                      Start here:
                      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...x_installation

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        There are a number of free vBulletin Styles available to licensed customers here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95

You can see most of these in action here:

http://www.vbullletin-styles.com
                        Is vb-styles now preferred over vb.org Templates forums?
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

I used to like phpBB because it was free mainly. But after having a chance to look at the admin interface of vB, it changed my mind totally. Nearly everything is customizable, whereas I'd have to hackup phpBB for a feature. Of course there are plenty of vB hacks too to get that extra detail in.

$160 is a tad much if you're running a small forum; phpBB isn't the only option for running a free/small forum. punBB is a very compact, straight to the point forum, and is more secure than phpBB. However if you do have $160 to spend, vB is a very, very, very worthwhile investment.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcoH64
                            Is vb-styles now preferred over vb.org Templates forums?
                            No. I only mention that because vbulletin-styles.com has most of these free styles installed so people can see them in action. There is nothing keeping vbulletin.org ferom doing the same.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X