my phpbb got hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my phpbb got hacked

Hi i am running a phpbb board, and it got hacked, and it pisses the hell out of me. I was running 2.0.15

the jerk messed up the board competely. but it looks like th user table and posts table are intact.

two questions..

1. can i still import my previous phpbb board?

2. Is vbulletin more secure??? (please dont say yes just to get me to buy it, but be honest here)
    My site
    www.coolservice.dk

vBuleltin is very secure., If a security hoel is found it is patched within 24 hours, usually within 12 but 24 is the max. I'm not sure about your first question. But vBulletin is VERY secure and usually security holes are found and fixed before they can be exploited.

Comment

Are any other tables missing? For instance the post and user tables rely on ddata from other tables as well.

We do have an import script for phpBB. You can read about it here (it's confirmed to work with 2.0.15):

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...06&postcount=2
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by TruthElixirX
        vBuleltin is very secure., If a security hoel is found it is patched within 24 hours, usually within 12 but 24 is the max. I'm not sure about your first question. But vBulletin is VERY secure and usually security holes are found and fixed before they can be exploited.
        That's a pretty bold statement. Nothing is secure. I'm willing to say vBulletin is as secure as it can be at the moment.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Nothing is 100% secure; true. However I think TruthElixir was trying to say vBulletin is more secure than phpBB
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
            Nothing is 100% secure; true. However I think TruthElixir was trying to say vBulletin is more secure than phpBB
            Looks like a bot just attacked your site btw.

Comment

*raises eyebrow*
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer81
                Hi i am running a phpbb board, and it got hacked, and it pisses the hell out of me. I was running 2.0.15

the jerk messed up the board competely. but it looks like th user table and posts table are intact.

two questions..

1. can i still import my previous phpbb board?

2. Is vbulletin more secure??? (please dont say yes just to get me to buy it, but be honest here)
                That is the MAIN reason I bought vB....

Comment

Yeah, vB is a lot more secure then phpBB. No one ever hacked me when I used phpBB but there were always posts from people on the phpBB site saying they got hacked. I guess I was lucky lol.
                  <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
                  <Onimua> You're a daddy.
                  <Chroder> eh
                  <Onimua> :)
                  <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

If a security hoel is found it is patched within 24 hours, usually within 12 but 24 is the max
                    Ok, well i am on holidays now, which is why i didn't see the new version of phpbb comming. Does vBulletin auto update critically security holes? Or do i have to manually do it? Which is impossible when you are on holidays, And then i am just as far as with phpbb
                    My site
                    www.coolservice.dk

Comment

You have to manually update.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Basicly you reuplod the files, I think this is a near standard proceedure with any online software.

Comment

I am huge vbulletin fan - phpbb does not even compare. Its features and security is severely lacking. I've been using vb for my busy forum since 2001. I added a separate forum last year that I didn't value too much and unfortunately used phpbb. I had either 2.0.14 or 2.0.15 and was just hacked too. Luckily, the day the hacker got access, I was transferring to a new server. I saw a suspicious "member" at that forum, but since I was moving everything I didn't get too concerned. I just deleted that member, then forgot to check on things. It's been a little over a week, and the old server, that has nothing active on it, had a load of 15. I logged in and found a hacker running all kinds of stuff on it. It was a phpbb exploit. Needless to say, I'm here at vbulletin to find out if there is a import script, and of course there is. I am switching my secondary forums over to vb so my server will be more secure. The cost of vb is worth not having to worry about these exploits every week.

And don't sweat the upgrades. The security issues with vbulletin have been few and far between - You won't be upgrading as often as you have to with phpbb.

Comment

Id like to make a comment on my own topic.

so i ended up buying vbulletin since i had the money on my paypal, and they were just standing there for no reason at all, so why not just use them, so i did.

I cannot say how happy i am. I should have bought vbulletin from the beginning! then i'd have a much bigger board now.

phpbb is good for personal private sites, small!, but not for big sites, well all sites start small, but i hope mine will grow though! that's the plan.
                            Last edited by dreamer81; Sun 31 Jul '05, 11:26am.
                            My site
                            www.coolservice.dk

Comment

Wait.. your saying vBulletin isn't good for large sites O.o ?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X