X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
    To clear things up.

As an owner of both boards, why should I have to visit either forum and see blatant bashing of boards (and in some cases flat out lies or disinformation), especially when in the rules of this forum, it's supposedly not allowed.

As for my sig, honestly...would you endorse something that can be easily faked? Especially considering we are just expected to take his word for it? That sig is a cut down of Greg's sig with one or 2 minor alterations. I consider what he is saying libel, especially considering his only proof is his word and stuff that could be easily faked. Yet its allowed here just because it bashes IPB. Maybe it did happen, maybe it didnt. But look at how often he mentions or makes reference to it on this board AND in HIS sig. That happened how long ago?! I mean really...let it go already. And it seems a few others hold onto that like gospel even though they are just taking his word. And one time on here I caught him trying to pass it off like it happened to someone else.

Of course I'm going to go on the defensive when I see blatant lying, libel, or otherwise about a board I support and enjoy as much as IPB (or VB) being allowed to run rampant and with no or little interjection from mods or admins...when in the rules it states "No board bashing". Maybe what supposedly happened with Greg did happen. I'm not one to judge, and I'm not one to just take a person word without proof to back up claims. But what would you consider what he's doing? Stating an opinion a few times is fine. But to be continuing this crap on VB to directly try and persuade people from IPB....what he and a few others have been on are anti-IPB campaigns on this board, and they are being allowed to happen.

And as an owner of both boards, I find it disrespectful and a blatant blow to the rules here, to allow me to get ripped to pieces from some people just because they are anti-IPB, and to allow it to happen, but I put out my voice about IPB and I'm being basically told, "We also allow your posts which frankly are almost uniformly critical of us and in defense of IPB.". Funny, out of all the posts that I have made, how many have been 'uniformily critical' of VB? Very few, and if so, for good reason. Then again they are opinions. I thought those were allowed. Its not like I'm bashing VB.

I've posted many other things on here that are not IPB related and I work to keep my posts sensible. It's contradictory to say, "While we are quite happy to have constructive comparative conversations about competitor's products, we will not tolerate blatant adverts or the sort of 'ooh look, yet another bulletin board' threads.", then to say, "Also, we would appreciate it if you refrain from blatant bashing of other boards.", but then to allow it to happen. I support both boards. I'm not someone that just joined to piss people off. I have a lifetime for both boards. Thats alot of money to put down on boards I don't supposedly like or know anything about wouldn't you think? And whats worse, no one has ever said I was lying about anything I said about IPB. Something to think about.

BTW, show me a thread where I belittled anyone. And the only reason Greg got brough up is because of his blatant campaign here and on other boards thats being allowed to happen. If he can have his sig, so can I. (Especially seeing its his thread minus a few lines.) And like I said, I only go on the defense if I see libel or downright lies or misinformation.

And re-read this thread. Didn't you know I'm a spy for IPB just because I support them too and try to be the voice of reason?!

And how did this thing with me start in this thread? Right here, anti-IPB crap. Board bashing.:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=20

I rest my case. If others are allowed to do this, why am I the one being singled out, especially since the minority of my posts have to deal with IPB or even being supposedly critical of VB. And thats with around 88 posts. And with the bashing and such being allowed to happen against forum rules...whats not to be upset about?
    White,

If you are modifying what Greg originally posted, and quoting him as saying that, then you're being libel and defamatory. I'm surprised he hasn't sued you for defamation yet.

While you claim to support both boards, so far all we have witnessed is your anti-vbulletin/pro-IPB sentiment. If you want to argue go post your arguments on the IPB boards and see how well received they are. I'd like to see what sort of response you'll get.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I rest my case. If others are allowed to do this, why am I the one being singled out, especially since the minority of my posts have to deal with IPB or even being supposedly critical of VB.
      That's your case? Okay then. At least you've had your say, and continue to have your say. I have not censored you in any way and you've been free to criticize us (frankly sometimes justly, sometimes not) and also go after anyone else who posts any negative experiences that have had with IPB.

Note there is a difference between bashing and sharing experiences, albeit I agree it often falls into the 'eye-of-the-beholder' category. Nonetheless your sig is obviously false and is designed to attack the credibility of another member of these forums, while you have absolutely no proof that the person you are criticizing is lying about his experiences. However since he continues his assertions in his sig, I consider your response in the 'fair game' category, although IMO it's a very strange vendetta you have chosen for yourself. But you seem to have appointed yourself the defender of IPB on these forums and it's clearly a role you perform with gusto.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If you are modifying what Greg originally posted, and quoting him as saying that, then you're being libel and defamatory. I'm surprised he hasn't sued you for defamation yet.
        Much the same way Matt could sue him for libel don't you think?! What proof beyond his words does Gregg have or have shown? None. And its not like Gregg has just stated an opinion, he's plastered his crap all over VB.com forums and elsewhere and tried using it to persuade others from using IPB, and like I said earlier, one time catching him acting like it wasn't him it happened to. If Gregg can't prove what happened as true beyond his words, what he is doing could be considered libel. Plain and simple. Especially plastering the crap any chance he can get.

While you claim to support both boards, so far all we have witnessed is your anti-vbulletin/pro-IPB sentiment. If you want to argue go post your arguments on the IPB boards and see how well received they are. I'd like to see what sort of response you'll get.
        Your right. Thats why I'm not a lifetime owner of a VB board. Because it sucks right? Get real. ( I am a lifetime owner.) I shouldn't have to be saying anything about IPB...if people were telling the truth and not bashing the board when others ask about it. Just look at a typical Pre-Sales thread when someone asks to compare the 2. I see more people comparing IPB 1.3 to VB 3.5 than anything else. Almost totally ruling out 2.0 OR 2.1's features...amazingly and convienantly being left out. That does not give a fair comparison or a true comparison. If I were to ask the same question, and found out I was being lied to by people on that board, or purposely being given an unfair comparison, I would not buy that board. Why would I want to be associated with those that like to manipulate the truth for gain? I wouldn't. It would show their lack of integrity. Look at my previous posts here. When someone has asked, and I tell them to try out both boards and use which one suits their needs best. I could give an opinion all day long. (LOL I'm sure many of you would agree.) But in the end only after they test both boards themselves can they have a true feel for what will work best for them. Is there a feature both boards have? Simple, use something else for comparison.

Btw, thank you Steve.
        Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Thu 14 Jul '05, 6:52pm.

Comment

Considering that Charles was quoted, and there's been NO demand on IPS's part to get GreggH's comments removed, don't think it's gone beyond the point of libel and maybe its the pure truth? Plus GreggH can prove it if he desires; he's one of the original parties involved. You aren't. GreggH probably has emails/copies of PMs of his communique with Charles. You don't have any records of conversations b/w GreggH and Charles.

Plus the burden of proof still lies with you on proving Charles didn't say such a thing. Plus all your challenges has been at Gregg. Have you ever stopped and asked Charles himself if he ever said such a thing?
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

In fairness to the original thread starter, this has gotten way off track. If anyone has more comments about Gallery options then please post them.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If vB could provide a means to view attached image thumbnails in posts as medium or large pic (if there is a large),
              Even as ... 26.K 236.K beside thumbnails

Then we could have forums as galleries and threads as albums.
              (And our many dialup members would be happy)

Otherwise I'm very happy using 3 PhotoPost applications/with our vB because I can integrate some essential user functions while still having an independent look, management and user permission controls with each app.
              However both apps are primarily intended to be used as user interactive intermediatories to gather, file and prepare content for other webpages at the site. This part is still in development

If I could rate my satisfaction with vB and PhotoPost, I would give 'em both 90%
              It's the 10% diss that bugs me the most as it revolves around seeing both apps needing to be more user-friendly. (say no more)
              I accept this as part of being at the forefront of cutting edge technologies and anticipate a resolve for most of my needs in the next year of 3.5 release.

I am so glad there are other software products on the market. Wouldn't it be terrible if all web sites were cloned with the same `footprint'!

Mark
              Mark

Comment

great thread, but staying on topic

I want a Gallery option of some sort, i currently use gallery1.44 for my site but i really would like some choice, i have the choice of software i dont like, i want to be able to show images as they are now in my gallery but with a VB skin, not fully integrated, just 'blended'
                ideas gratefully received

Comment

Okay, my turn.

As an owner of both boards, I find them relatively the same.

They both hold a database of members, posts, images; run off php; etc... They're both message boards and they're both ok.

But when you weigh it out, vB is better. Period.

I find IPB to have more hacks and skins.
                  That's probably due to the fact that it was free for so long and all the open-source kids jumped on. Granted a good majority of those are hacks to simulate a vBulletin feature that IPB couldn't pull off and I got tired of having to run and make a mod request everytime I wanted a vB feature.

I find vB to be 1 step ahead and I like the friendly staff.

I do not like Matt Mecham or anyone at IPS. They are makers of a community software, but their dictatorship ways go against everything a community stands for: voice.

Yes, vB annoys me sometimes. Something so simple as hiding your Admins IP from your mods should come stock on ALL BOARDS.

but I'm just used to a a certain routine, which is: If the board does not do it, download the mod to make it do it. So far, I have have little success finding stable mods.

Comment

Much the same way Matt could sue him for libel don't you think?! What proof beyond his words does Gregg have or have shown? None.
                    Greggish, you say? Oh yea, I remember that... Was there the same hour it happened.

To back his case, Greggish allowed 3 Invisionize members access to his IPS forum account to confirm the PM from Charles. One of them being a Moderator.

I even had "I highly suggest you quietly fade away" -Charles in my sig for a while.

I know Greggish. He wouldn't lie.
                    Much the same way Matt could sue him for libel don't you think?!
                    Just as Greggish couldn't lie his way out of a mattress store, Matt Mecham doesn't have the resources to sue anyone: HE'S BROKE.

And I bet you he'll get slammed the second he enters the courtroom. Why? because of IPB 2.0f.

Even though Matt removed the code from the next version, there are people that purchased it still using that version today... Like me.

And if Matt came to court against me in Texas... FOR ANYTHING, I'd bury him alive.

Last edited by ; Sat 16 Jul '05, 7:52am.

Comment

Now that I've got vBAdvanced Gallery, I actually wish that the gallery looked a little LESS like the forum and that users could pick the style/color scheme they want their subgalleries to look like. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably use something like Menalto and figure out how to do the logins and maybe insert the 4 latest photos on my forum home.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                        Now that I've got vBAdvanced Gallery, I actually wish that the gallery looked a little LESS like the forum and that users could pick the style/color scheme they want their subgalleries to look like. If I had it to do all over again, I'd probably use something like Menalto and figure out how to do the logins and maybe insert the 4 latest photos on my forum home.
                        Now isn't that what I've been saying all along?

Comment

Much the same way Matt could sue him for libel don't you think?! What proof beyond his words does Gregg have or have shown? None.
                          I don't really want to get in on this or anything, but the fact that IPS ended up giving Greggish the refund is proof enough (to me) that what Greggish was saying is true.

Anyways, as for the gallery people.. vBadvanced is my recommendation. If you want it to look different from the forums, you can change the templates yourself, or get someone else to do it for you.

From what I've seen at Deviantart, it shouldn't be a difficult task to pull off.

Comment

I think this thread can no longer keep on track so it's best too close it now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X