• Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Welcome aboard! . Don't forget to register for priority support

Leave a comment:

• aflax045
    replied
    Well, I just purchased my license. Thanks for your help everyone.

Leave a comment:

• aflax045
    replied
    Originally posted by MarcoH64
    1 board, with one look and feel, with some public areas for all, and some privat forums for just some users, would be ok.
    That's pretty much it.

Leave a comment:

• Marco van Herwaarden
    replied
    You might want to wait for an official answer from one of Jelsoft Support Staff, but i think that as long as it is viewed as 1 big board, you are ok.

Example:
    - 1 board, with one look and feel, with some public areas for all, and some privat forums for just some users, would be ok.
    - 1 board that depending on the url you come from, will show you a different title/look/feel, and a seperate set of forums, would be not ok with the license agreement.

Leave a comment:

• aflax045
    replied
    Yeah, this isn't really a big deal at all. I mean at most an administrator might need to edit/add/remove boards. Maybe even alter some of the permissions of their category. I just wanted to make it as flexible as possible for the other game areas rather than relying on the people who head the entire community.

While on the subject of the license and the terms. I was wondering about the following which clearly applies to what you were getting at:
    "The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft."
    It's clear for the most part, but I was wonding if I could get some clarification on the "assign/pledge" portion of that term.

For example:

With the current bulletin board my group uses, to pull in interest from the gaming community, we open offers to other groups/clans/etc. We offer board space with one category, maybe 2-3 general forums under that category. We do this completely free of charge, a simple email with the request and some information about their group helps us make the decision of whether or not to take them on and help them out. The idea is if their members are using our boards to use their private forums, they will be using our public boards as well.
    I find it kind of hard to understand if you don't allow this...I would question what the point of usergroups/forum permissions is in the first place.

However, if you don't allow this, what would my group have to do to go about getting consent from Jelsoft?

(Btw, I appreciate your quick responses. Thank You)
    Last edited by aflax045; Sun 3 Jul '05, 1:43am.

Leave a comment:

• Marco van Herwaarden
    replied
    I don't know what kind of tasks you want them to perform.

I think you can get pretty far with normal Moderator permissions, combined with Public Joinable groups, with the same people running that forum set as Group Leader.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Alright, just being sure there.

There is no way you can limit which forums what person can admin, but you can limit which board a person can moderate.

That's as far as it goes I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• aflax045
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    It sounds like you want to rent or lease part of your forum...correct?
    No. Actually I would think that's against the license agreement with vBulletin. Of course I would comply with the terms of the license I buy (that is if I decide to purchase one).

Actually, the reason I asked this is because the group I run is a gaming community. There are different gaming sections for the individual games as well as a public board for everyone to use. These private boards for each game are run by sub-staff that have upper staff who discuss important things with the other games' upper staff members.

It's the same group, but like I said, each works for their specific game. It would be a lot easier if the head person of each group could completely manage their own boards on the forum rather that me or another super-administrator having to do it for them upon request. I suppose I would just have to make them super administrators if there's no way to do what I asked about.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    It sounds like you want to rent or lease part of your forum...correct?

Leave a comment:

• aflax045
    started a topic Administrators with special permission

Administrators with special permission

Hello,
    My group has been looking for a new board for a while now. I have been familiar with a number of bulletin board programs including vBulletin for quite some time now. I don't know why, but my eyes always seem to fall back onto vBulletin as my favorite as a user. Now that I need a good board myself for a community that is growing as I finally want it to, I decided to check out the admin demo and found myself even more interested in Vbulletin than I had been as a user. Let's just say your admin panel looks fantastic and the functionality/customability makes me see how great the price you label your board with actually is. It's well worth the money for what you "could" be charging people.

So here's the question. (Finally )

I did a bit of searching for this on these boards and unfortunately didn't find the answer I was looking for. If it has been answered before, a link to the thread would be just fine.
    I noticed the edit administrator permissions in the admin control panel. Obviously this wasn't accessible as it said without being able to edit the .cfg.
    In this administrator panel, is it possible to limit all the control an administrator can have including what specific boards an administrator is able to have complete reign over?

Forum Setup Example:

Main Board (all users have access)
    --Sub Boards
    Apple Board (apple usergroup has access)
    --Sub Boards
    Orange Board (orange usergroup has access)
    --Sub Boards

Basicaly, I want a super administrator (maybe a few) with access to all the boards as well as the entire control panel. I would also like specific apple administrators that may only access/edit/control the apple board. At the same time, orange administrators who may only access/edit/control the orange boards. These "sub-administrators" should not be able to access anything at all but their specific category/boards.

Is this possible?

Thanks
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X