Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WebBBS > vBulletin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WebBBS > vBulletin

    I am not familiar with how to set up a bulletin board system. I belong to a non-profit group and have been basically delegated to move our bbs to our new server. Currently we have 18k+ records on WebBBS, and our new server doesn't support it. I have no idea what to do, but many people have recommended vBulletin.

    Is there a conversion that will definitely work?

    Can I do this myself without any working knowledge of cgi, php, etc.?

    Can I set up vBulletin to look and work relatively identical to our current system?

    http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/coun...cords/index.cgi

    I would appreciate any information before we purchase anything

    Thank you

  • #2
    Honestly I don't believe that vB can be made to look and act like that at all, at least not without some very intense customising.

    Also there is currently no import script for WebBBS. It may be possible to create one. Do you know how the data is stored?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

    Steve Machol Photography


    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by clarkcogina
      I am not familiar with how to set up a bulletin board system. I belong to a non-profit group and have been basically delegated to move our bbs to our new server. Currently we have 18k+ records on WebBBS, and our new server doesn't support it. I have no idea what to do, but many people have recommended vBulletin.

      Is there a conversion that will definitely work?

      Can I do this myself without any working knowledge of cgi, php, etc.?

      Can I set up vBulletin to look and work relatively identical to our current system?

      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/wi/coun...cords/index.cgi

      I would appreciate any information before we purchase anything

      Thank you
      As for functioning like your site above, first off why would you want it to? Secondly, you can achieve close to the same thing by using threaded mode display. Try clicking the 'Display Modes' button above and changing it to "Threaded Mode".

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe try importing it to another software then to vBulletin?

        Comment


        • #5
          What do you mean "why would you want it to?"

          It's what we've had for a long time. There are many of us who enter hundreds of records at a time into it. And people who aren't official volunteers can still post and add to the records that are there.

          I'd like the data to be stored in a safer way, webbbs is rather unpredictable and apparently going obsolete.

          Where would I find someone to make an "importer"?

          -G

          Originally posted by cmiller1014
          You could certainly find someone to make an importer for you for a cost.

          As for functioning like your site above, first off why would you want it to? Secondly, you can achieve close to the same thing by using threaded mode display. Try clicking the 'Display Modes' button above and changing it to "Threaded Mode".

          Comment


          • #6
            hmm. I have the data backed up in html format through httrack, otherwise it's stored on the server in webbbs format. Unfortunately I don't know if I'm qualified to intense customizing

            Originally posted by Steve Machol
            Honestly I don't believe that vB can be made to look and act like that at all, at least not without some very intense customising.

            Also there is currently no import script for WebBBS. It may be possible to create one. Do you know how the data is stored?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Blootix.com
              Maybe try importing it to another software then to vBulletin?
              I'll keep looking around for something. Thanks.


              I wonder why my "instant email notification" on this thread isn't working ??

              Comment


              • #8
                It works for me on other threads in the pre-sales forum.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do not go to 3rd parties for importers, if you need one written, send me a message, there is no cost, and it will be supported unlike others.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

                  Blog | Me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jerry
                    Do not go to 3rd parties for importers, if you need one written, send me a message, there is no cost, and it will be supported unlike others.
                    If there is one really good reason to use vB, this would be it.

                    How many places would offer to do this?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DJDarknez
                      How many places would offer to do this?
                      I don't know to be honest, though I know we do
                      I wrote ImpEx.

                      Blog | Me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jerry
                        Do not go to 3rd parties for importers, if you need one written, send me a message, there is no cost, and it will be supported unlike others.
                        Jerry, I have some WebBBS on disc and some on a servers. Come on down to Lopez Island for a BBQ and make it happen. You do like BBQ... right?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          WebBBS --> phpBB - http://warped.org/linux/webbbs_to_phpbb_0.8.tar.gz

                          phpbb --> vBulletin - vBulletin ImpEx

                          It's complicated, but it might work.
                          Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                          http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Very happy with my import

                            Hi,

                            Jerry done an import of Deluxe Portal for me, it worked perfectly if you decide to go for VB take him up on the offer, he done mine within 3 days, and it didn't cost a penny, the other work around mentioned above would probably work but why bother when it can be done with impex, and be supported.

                            taffy
                            Free Kick
                            https://apps.facebook.com/freekick-net/forums.php

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thank you very much. I will do some checking as this is a not for profit site and will have to allocate some $$. And obviously I'm gonna need a lot of help

                              Gina

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X