Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AzhriaLilu
    replied
    On the positive note, welcome to the world of VB ... there's no turning back now, you know... Once you're here, you're here for life

Leave a comment:

• Mikes33Ponce
    replied
    It appears all the "it's easy" comments assume familiarity with online hosting environments and with Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP, of which I have none.
    Anyway, as I said, I got help from someone and the forum is live: http://forums.33ponce.org/

Leave a comment:

• BlueFlame
    replied
    It does offer very user friendly setup interface, that pretty much walks you through the proccess

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Installing vBulletin is AMAZINGLY easy. I was terrified I'd mess it up when I first installed it, and afterwards I was like "That's it?"

As others have said, it really is a piece of cake. Even for a novice...

Leave a comment:

• Mikes33Ponce
    replied
    Originally posted by Khaleel
    Could not have been put better, myself and thousands of people here will do this and help you for free! Simply because vBulletin members are unique breed community which supports one another, its brilliant.
    Joel of http://www.vbwebmaster.com/ did the install for me. It was really nice of him.

Leave a comment:

• Khaleel
    replied
    There are many people who would install it for you without needing anything it return. But you could probably do it yourself, it's very easy.
    Could not have been put better, myself and thousands of people here will do this and help you for free! Simply because vBulletin members are unique breed community which supports one another, its brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• Realystic
    replied
    With vbulletin the time it takes to load the files onto your host and setup a mysql database (cpanel/plesk best). Then you just click the next button 13 times or so... its quite painless.

adding styles (layouts etc depends on if you buy a style or code one your self which in it's self is quite fun) if you buy a premade layout for your forum once you have it setup it takes about 5 mins to upload art files via ftp and 15 seconds to grab style xml and updoad it ..

Leave a comment:

• Lurk
    replied
    vBulletin's installation process is probably the simplest of all forums I've seen. All you have to do is edit the config.php file with the proper MySQL information, run the install script, and there you have it. Installed.

Leave a comment:

• Mikes33Ponce
    replied
    By shell access, you mean Linux shell, right? (I have zero Linux experience.)

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    I upload the GZ file and then extract it. It creates the directories and moves the files almost instantaneously. But this requires shell access.

Leave a comment:

• Mikes33Ponce
    replied
    Yeah, good point. OTOH, I see all the people *****ing about their webhosts, and for my business I'm not sure I'd want to trust a webhost to "do the right thing." BTW, what if you forum?

Leave a comment:

• AzhriaLilu
    replied
    That's why I leave server side stuff to others and pay for hosting lol I've found so long as my host has php/mysql I'm good to install whatever software I need from that point in

Leave a comment:

• Mikes33Ponce
    replied
    Originally posted by AzhriaLilu
    I have a test board on my harddrive (like a lot of people here) and have installed apache/php/mysql on there so I can run a vb test board for any changes I need. So what I meant was if it was easy for me to install the required software on my harddrive so I can run a localhost testboard, then I don't think it'd be much harder if I was installing in a server - I'm sure one of the "in the know" guys will either confirm or deny that - as I'm no server-side expert
    Server side requires security issues that localhost does not.

Anyway, what's your prior PC experience? It's just that I am sooooooo tired of trying to get server software to install. Every time I've done it at work it's become some huge open-ended time sink where some stupid little thing keeps it from work; something that I had no idea to consider. My experience is I've done a lot of development, and am good at it, and less of net admin, and I really suck at that.

Leave a comment:

• AzhriaLilu
    replied
    I bought hosting with a company that offered php/mysql so I didn't have to install that side of things myself. All I needed to do was add a database, change the vb config.php details as per the instructions, upload the files and go through the step-by-step install process (which is nothing more than clicking next every so often).

I have a test board on my harddrive (like a lot of people here) and have installed apache/php/mysql on there so I can run a vb test board for any changes I need. So what I meant was if it was easy for me to install the required software on my harddrive so I can run a localhost testboard, then I don't think it'd be much harder if I was installing in a server - I'm sure one of the "in the know" guys will either confirm or deny that - as I'm no server-side expert

Leave a comment:

• Mikes33Ponce
    replied
    When I first used vb, I'd never touched php or mysql, but the instructions for first time installation that comes with the software are so concise, I had no problems at all with it.
    Were you running a hosted machine, or your own server on your own T1? If the latter, how did you do it w/o installing PHP and mySQL?
    While I personally can't help you on the installation of php/mysql on a server, I know it's pretty simple to install on the harddrive (hell, if I can do it anyone can!) and I don't imagine the procedure is much more different (if at all) for a server.
    I understand from everyone it is *easy*, but my experience with server software installs is that I will have to spend a good bit of time learning each package, open-ended time at that, and I simply don't have the time. I just want to get a forum and be down with it. Also, since it is for a small condo community, there is no budget other than what I'll personally pay out of my own pocket to get it done.

It's a shame vBulletin does not offer a more turnkey option.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X