How Hard to Install vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Hard to Install vBulletin?

I'm considering vBulletin, and would like to find turnkey vBulletin hosting, but might consider doing it myself. I have lots of Windows Server, SQL Server, IIS, and ASP experience, but zero PHP and mySQL experience. How hard is it? I looked at the installation docs and it didn't answer my questions RE:what the computer config needs to be before starting to install vBulletin.

Do you know of any webhost that will install it?

Here's another question: have you considered offering a "vBulletin Appliance" (i.e. vBulletin preloaded and ready to run on a server?)

If you have experience with MSSQL and ASP, you should have very little problems adapting to it.

Also, an appliance application technically would probably not be fesbile because of the complexity when it comes to licensing out the software. It costs money for each license
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      If you have experience with MSSQL and ASP, you should have very little problems adapting to it.
      Actually, I should have stated I'm only experienced with the programming part of ASP, not net admin. Also, I have very little time to devote to this, unfortunately, since it is only for my community and not my business. So I'm looking for as brain-dead simple solution as possible. From your docs, I can't figure out how to get PHP on the machine, how to get mySQL on the machine, etc. I know nothing of that world, and don't have 8-10 hours to research different version compatibility and working through all the installation issues for this project. Do you not have an approved software stack that is simple to install?

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      Also, an appliance application technically would probably not be fesbile because of the complexity when it comes to licensing out the software. It costs money for each license
      Why would it technically not be feasible because of licensing fees? I wasn't suggesting you'd give the software for free. Appliance vendors build the cost of their software into the price of the appliance. There are a lot of server appliances sold, and they are sold for a lot more than the hardware would cost w/o the software. BTW, I was thinking of this for a later project that I'd implement via my business which would have a lot more traffic.

FYI, at the moment my business is using both InstantForum.NET and Community Server for ASP.NET for two different forums, but I think I like the functionality of vBulletin better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes33Ponce
        Who are you? (i.e. what company?)

There are many people who would install it for you without needing anything it return. But you could probably do it yourself, it's very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by TCM

There are many people who would install it for you without needing anything it return. But you could probably do it yourself, it's very easy.
          Specifics regarding the questions I asked above?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikes33Ponce
            Specifics regarding the questions I asked above?
            Doh. Missed that. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TCM
              Doh. Missed that. My bad.
              Takes like 5 mins to install all you do is enter your database name,usrname,pass,db host,and location of your forums in a file and upload to your server, than all you do is run a simple script. its a piece of cake. took me about 2.5 mins to install (seriously)

Comment

Originally posted by cyberxp8
                Takes like 5 mins to install all you do is enter your database name,usrname,pass,db host,and location of your forums in a file and upload to your server, than all you do is run a simple script. its a piece of cake. took me about 2.5 mins to install (seriously)
                c'mon, uploading all the images takes more than 2.5 minutes.

Comment

The uploading can take a while, depending on your connection speed, but the install takes minutes.

When I first used vb, I'd never touched php or mysql, but the instructions for first time installation that comes with the software are so concise, I had no problems at all with it. Added to that is the fact that when you purchase the software you get free support in these forums (where responses are usually fast) where everyone is more than willing to help talk you through and hopefully resolve any problems you come across, plus there's the support ticket system as well. So someone somewhere will be able to get you up and running without too much trouble.

While I personally can't help you on the installation of php/mysql on a server, I know it's pretty simple to install on the harddrive (hell, if I can do it anyone can!) and I don't imagine the procedure is much more different (if at all) for a server.
                  I know violence isn't the answer . . . I got it wrong on purpose
                  Rep Owners - New forum for reptile owners/lovers
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AzhriaLilu
                    When I first used vb, I'd never touched php or mysql, but the instructions for first time installation that comes with the software are so concise, I had no problems at all with it.
                    Were you running a hosted machine, or your own server on your own T1? If the latter, how did you do it w/o installing PHP and mySQL?
                    While I personally can't help you on the installation of php/mysql on a server, I know it's pretty simple to install on the harddrive (hell, if I can do it anyone can!) and I don't imagine the procedure is much more different (if at all) for a server.
                    I understand from everyone it is *easy*, but my experience with server software installs is that I will have to spend a good bit of time learning each package, open-ended time at that, and I simply don't have the time. I just want to get a forum and be down with it. Also, since it is for a small condo community, there is no budget other than what I'll personally pay out of my own pocket to get it done.

It's a shame vBulletin does not offer a more turnkey option.

Comment

I bought hosting with a company that offered php/mysql so I didn't have to install that side of things myself. All I needed to do was add a database, change the vb config.php details as per the instructions, upload the files and go through the step-by-step install process (which is nothing more than clicking next every so often).

I have a test board on my harddrive (like a lot of people here) and have installed apache/php/mysql on there so I can run a vb test board for any changes I need. So what I meant was if it was easy for me to install the required software on my harddrive so I can run a localhost testboard, then I don't think it'd be much harder if I was installing in a server - I'm sure one of the "in the know" guys will either confirm or deny that - as I'm no server-side expert
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a test board on my harddrive (like a lot of people here) and have installed apache/php/mysql on there so I can run a vb test board for any changes I need. So what I meant was if it was easy for me to install the required software on my harddrive so I can run a localhost testboard, then I don't think it'd be much harder if I was installing in a server - I'm sure one of the "in the know" guys will either confirm or deny that - as I'm no server-side expert
                        Server side requires security issues that localhost does not.

Anyway, what's your prior PC experience? It's just that I am sooooooo tired of trying to get server software to install. Every time I've done it at work it's become some huge open-ended time sink where some stupid little thing keeps it from work; something that I had no idea to consider. My experience is I've done a lot of development, and am good at it, and less of net admin, and I really suck at that.

Comment

That's why I leave server side stuff to others and pay for hosting lol I've found so long as my host has php/mysql I'm good to install whatever software I need from that point in
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, good point. OTOH, I see all the people *****ing about their webhosts, and for my business I'm not sure I'd want to trust a webhost to "do the right thing." BTW, what if you forum?

Comment

I upload the GZ file and then extract it. It creates the directories and moves the files almost instantaneously. But this requires shell access.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X