Is this too many categories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too many categories?

I have a few questions before I purchase my third license.

I want to use vB for a site because I love its power and capabilites but my new project might not be the best place to use vB. I'll explain. I am planning on having LOTS of categories. Basically I want to use the forum as a business directory where people can start new threads under each business (category). So basically it will look like this:

Country Name (5-15 categories)
    > Business Names (20 - 150 categories)
    >> Threads that relate to that business

For each category (Business Name) there will be a unique moderator who will be the business owner and they will monitor the posts.

If I turn things off such as "Enable Category Jump" and stuff like that, do you think vB would be suitable to my needs or should i seek other alternatives?

Another question pertaining to the large number of categories. If you have 50 categories, will the categories be broken across multiple pages via a pager or paginator?

Finally, the place I notice a lag in performace is not on the live site but in the admincp when i go to edit categories (especially with the vbagallery i have which has tons of cats and sub-cats though i know vbagallery and vb.com are not related in terms of development...at least im pretty sure) it really taxes the system and takes a "long time" for all the cats and sub-cats to appear. I imagine that the situation would be the same if I were to have lots of cats in the forum. Is there a way to limit the number of cats shown in the admincp so that I only see 1 level of categories (depth = 1) instead of seeing all the cats? i hope that question made sense.

Thanks guys. i really hope i can use vB on this new project because you guys make the forum SOOOOO easy to use!

eric
    Websites For Sale | Adsense Ready Blogs For Sale

Rather a lot I have to say, it is good to add forums when they are needed rather than add them all and have no posts within

Comment

Originally posted by rh2004
      Rather a lot I have to say, it is good to add forums when they are needed rather than add them all and have no posts within
      I realize that but its not my question. I am not wanting to use vB the traditional way so the "start small & grow" theory does not exactly apply to my situation.

I am only concerned with how much stress lots of categories will put on my server.

eric

Comment

1. Yes you can use vB like this. If it would be practical would be a different question.

2. I don't think the current version support pagination of Categories.

3. There is no way in the current version to limit the number of categories in the AdminCP.

2 & 3: You might want to ask at vbulletin.org if someone can make a modification to help you improve these things.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

thanks. i'll definitely have to look for a way to limit
          categories in the admincp because that might be too much to access.

Comment

Amount of forums and categories: 169
            - on my work-in progress site.

I have had over 270 @ one time avj. 80 on-line @ a time w/o problems.
            http://www.szone.us | http://www.gzhq.net
            Twitter | Facebook | My:Hacks @ vBulletin.org
            Member of Kiwanis Club of Chatsworth

Comment

Originally posted by HarryButt
              Amount of forums and categories: 169
              - on my work-in progress site.

I have had over 270 @ one time avj. 80 on-line @ a time w/o problems.
              Thanks, thats great info for me. it helps me make my decision. i have a question for you; how does admincp respond to all those cats?

eric

ps, your forum looks sharp! nice job

Comment

Originally posted by Oreamnos
                Thanks, thats great info for me. it helps me make my decision. i have a question for you; how does admincp respond to all those cats?

eric

ps, your forum looks sharp! nice job

0.114615202 sec.
                on a 550pIII, 384 Ram, windows 2k, 3.1 gig HD / Test server.
                - On Default setting.

But there is a nice option in the admin section. (Collapsible) if there is problems w/ a load of forums.

Forum Manager Display
                There are three options for the display of the Forum Manager:

Default - Displays all of the forums on one page but may not work on all browsers, especially if you have a large number of forums.

Collapsible - Allows collapsing/expansion of certain forums within the forum manager. This may reduce the ease of usability of the forum manager, but will prevent rendering problems with the dropdown menus with certain browsers/operating systems.

Single - Display a single dropdown from which you may choose the forum you wish to modify. This is most useful if you have a large number of forums.
                Thanks on the site comment , It's a bit of a mess. I still have a load to do and never the time.

Comment

I had never seen those forum manager options before. thanks! i think i'll go with vb for this project. if it gets too big i figure something out...

Comment

Originally posted by Oreamnos
                    I had never seen those forum manager options before. thanks! i think i'll go with vb for this project. if it gets too big i figure something out...
                    Good luck. There are tons of great people on this site and vbulletin.org (3rd party hacks and add-ons)

Comment

Forum Manager Display
                      There are three options for the display of the Forum Manager:

Default - Displays all of the forums on one page but may not work on all browsers, especially if you have a large number of forums.

Collapsible - Allows collapsing/expansion of certain forums within the forum manager. This may reduce the ease of usability of the forum manager, but will prevent rendering problems with the dropdown menus with certain browsers/operating systems.

Single - Display a single dropdown from which you may choose the forum you wish to modify. This is most useful if you have a large number of forums.
                      was this a hack? i cant seem to find it in the admin...

Comment

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Admin Control Panel Options -> Forum Manager Display
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It would work, but you'd have to perhaps hire someone to better engineer the system so the forum / sub-forum base selection isn't incredibly intense.

I personally think I have over-done the forums / sub-forums on my site to the point where it may be difficult for my users to keep track and I only have about 30 forums.

Comment

I am running 3.0.7 i currentley have 43 categories 65 forums, 30 sub categories and well over 200 sub forums, it is not unusual for me to have 300+ users online at one time. there are 30 categories that are what i call sub categories (they are categories )under a forum within a new area we are building that has and additional 60 forums under that so far it is under construction still and we are adding more forums daily. vb has worked great for me. and the support has been excellent for over 2 years now. i have not had a performance problem as of yet ecept in the admin cp when bringing up the forum manager and that was solved by using the collapse option i do full maint on my board monthly i run every maint and counter option except the statistics reset hope that helps you with your question

Comment

cool, thanks for the info!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X