X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expect in line moderation. When? VB 4?
    A month or so. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138544

Comment

You need to go read more because they just made an announcement about the next release. Lot of wind there for nothing.

Edit: Mike..

Comment

Originally posted by brisk_99
        You need to go read more because they just made an announcement about the next release. Lot of wind there for nothing.

Edit: Mike..
        When I'm typing the damn thing too... But good too see some of mine and others suggestions are being put to use this time 'round.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
          No one here at VB can seem to give a straight answer. Thats sad. If you were someone looking for a forum that had inline moderation for example, and a few other features...and found IPB and Vb to be close with the inline being your breaking point, then were told by the VB crowd, "sorry...you'll find out when its released' or 'we don't tell'...who would you go with? Even if you were close to plunking down money on VB3 and would still buy it if you knew for fact it would be released soon. The one being open to the customer about its boards future intentions or one that felt you didn't have a right to know? Who would you put your money on? Especially if you didn't need support or it was a minimal issue?IMO.
          Whitetigergrowl, your timing is impecable

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138544

Comment

Originally posted by GreggH
            Whitetigergrowl, your timing is impecable

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138544
            First for everything it looks like. Good to see they will put 3.5 here first for testing before going beta. Good to see a few other things coming as requested. HOWEVER....unless I missed it or misunderstood some of what was said...what about forum thread marking? Will that finally get fixed? I hate looking at one thread of my 3.0.7 forum, only to go back and find all of them marked as read.

As for the timing...yeah...story of my life.
            Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Tue 10th May '05, 6:18pm.

Comment

From the announcement:

Database-Based Thread and Forum Read Marking

Yes, it's finally here! Now, instead of using cookies and inactivity timeouts to determine what should be considered unread versus read, you can now opt to track this via the database.

Individual threads are considered read only if you have actually read them. Also, as soon as you have read all threads in a forum, it's light bulb will go out; no need to visit the forum list!

Of course, it's also an option. Should you wish to stick with the original system, you'll be able to do so.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl
                First for everything it looks like. Good to see they will put 3.5 here first for testing before going beta. Good to see a few other things coming as requested. HOWEVER....unless I missed it or misunderstood some of what was said...what about forum thread marking? Will that finally get fixed? I hate looking at one thread of my 3.0.7 forum, only to go back and find all of them marked as read.

As for the timing...yeah...story of my life.
                It looks like they have improved the forum thread marking...
                Database-Based Thread and Forum Read Marking

Yes, it's finally here! Now, instead of using cookies and inactivity timeouts to determine what should be considered unread versus read, you can now opt to track this via the database.

Individual threads are considered read only if you have actually read them. Also, as soon as you have read all threads in a forum, it's light bulb will go out; no need to visit the forum list!

Of course, it's also an option. Should you wish to stick with the original system, you'll be able to do so.
                By the way, even though I criticise IPS because of the way they treated me, I am glad that IPS exists. IPS pushes Jelsoft and vice versa. The competion is good for the customers of both companies. And seriously, I didn't make anything up in my posts, those are cut and paste, word for word, quotes that were written to me by Charles and other IPS staff.

Comment

Originally posted by GreggH
                  By the way, even though I criticise IPS because of the way they treated me, I am glad that IPS exists. IPS pushes Jelsoft and vice versa. The competion is good for the customers of both companies. And seriously, I didn't make anything up in my posts, those are cut and paste, word for word, quotes that were written to me by Charles and other IPS staff.
                  Indeed. Competition is good for us users. It gives companies good reasons to improve their products as much as possible if they want to stay ahead.

whitetigergrowl might have been a bit too vocal with his criticism and his mostly pro-IPS posts, but he did make a good point that Jelsoft should be a bit more open about their plan, to help make both existing and potential customers make more informed decisions.

I have been using vBulletin on my forum for over 3 years and my members are very happy with the product. We are now almost near 60,000 members and about 3 million posts. From what I see in the developer update, I am sure I will continue to use vBulletin for years to come.
                  Last edited by Thunderfall; Tue 10th May '05, 6:49pm.
                  War is only fun when you are winning.

Comment

Appears VB is xhtml standards compliant, why is it not faster!
                    Can forum login be used on the whole site, and restrict site permissions, are there hacks to look at?
                    Can members post via email?

Comment

I think asking on this site will give you a bias answer.

TBH though, IPB doesnt compare to vBulletin. Go look around popular sites/forums, which package do they use?

Welcome to vBulletin
                      Last edited by ]SK[; Tue 10th May '05, 10:54pm.

Comment

I personally have a license for both products. I like features in both of them, but in the end I chose IPB. I happen to be very happy with their product. Like stated test them both out as much as you can, and then and only then make your decision. Don't just listen to the pro-vB fans or the pro-IPB fans. They are just telling things from their point of view, and alot of people are biased to the product they are using. The best thing to do is test them both out for yourself. Start out by buying the one year license for both, and see which you like best, and after that buy the lifetime license of the one you like best. Yes I have to admit that IPB does have a better lifetime option for the license than vB does, but that is just my opion.

Comment

Talk about bumping an old thread...

Comment

Well, if anyone still can´t decide, the fact that the IPB guys obviously spend more time trolling and spamming on competing boards than on support for their paying customers should tell you everything you need to know.

There´s no doubt that both of them offer good quality software, but in my opinion the company behind the product does matter also. IPB has broken promises to their customers about the pricing policy of their board, vB has never done this. As for the support, well, it´s been said in this thread often enough. I´ve found myself in trouble a couple of times and they were always very, very fast in their responses.

One thing I do not understand is the importance of a roadmap. I´ve been using phpBB for a long, long time, and there always was a roadmap. And it was completely worthless because the things that were standing on it were simply not happening (and still aren´t by the way).
                            With vB you get info on what´s coming up, but no promises or deadlines that will be broken anyway.

The only bad thing I can say about vB is that the permissions system can be very intimidating when you have a lot of sub-forums and a lot of usergroups. Mistakes are bound to happen there because of the sheer mass of options you have to take into account, which isn´t the most ideal way.
                            Other than that I can´t recommend this software enough. More colorful admin panel? Puleeeze.
                            MovieGod.de - Wer mit Popcorn schmeißt, fliegt raus.

Comment

I've used both for over 3 years. (might as well say 5) I go all the way back to lead IPB developer Matt mecham's days with IkonBoard (the good free board before IPB came around) and I can tell you..

Vb has always been better, and will continue to be better. The momentum is very very important to consider.

PS. When I say used, I mean it. Skinning, hacking. I know this kind of software like the back of my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by baki
                                Now lets look at IPB's perpetual license.

Perpetual License · $185.00

This will give you a perpetual license to use Invision Power Board for one installation on all current and future versions. Selecting this option will also give you access to upgrades to the software for all future versions and one year of support is included.

Hey it may be more expensive but you do get unlimited upgrades and also 2 free installations done by staff.
                                And how much do they charge for support after the initial year? We don't charge, except for access to new software updates. You still get support untli the version you are running is no longer officially supported. We haven't officially dropped support for any version we have released.

Now, if you want to compare apples to apples, I was helping someone the other day with a 2.2.1 board. That was released 2+ years ago, so call it 3 years. This person had run the owned license for 3+ years and upgraded just before their access expired, so that really totals out to 4 years.

vBulletin
                                $160/4 = $40/year

IPB
                                $185+(30*3) = $68.75/year

Even if you elected to keep members area access, vBulletin still works out to only $62.50/year, or still $6.25/year cheaper.

The only way you save money going with IPB is if you'reonly interested in keeping your forum open for a year, and I think the difference in our support more than makes up for that $15.05, but I may be prejudiced in that since I'm one of the support guys.

That's a comparison of apples to apples.

Incidentally, with the IPB Lease, you only save $1.20/year over a 4 year period. Very odd pricing structure.
                                Last edited by Martin; Fri 10th Jun '05, 12:59am.
                                Webmaster:
                                @forumz

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X