Some general questions about vBulletin for a newb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some general questions about vBulletin for a newb

Hi - I'm pretty new to php and mysql - and I fancy getting a forum up and running. I've read through the beginnings of the manual and feel confident I can install it, get it up and running, etc.

However, I'm not sure about a few things and want to clarify them for my own peace of mind before I purchase. I'll try and keep it quick.

1. Say I succeeded in getting a forum with maybe 1500 members and fairly regular posting (200-300 posts a day?) - how big could I expect the MySQL database to get?

2. The host I want to use offers a number of MySQL databases, limited to 200mb each - if I need to can I use multiple databases and is that fairly easy to sort out (for a newb like moi)?

3. I'm not quite sure what goes into the database - is it just members details, account info sort of things or is it all the actual post contents?

Cheers

The size of the database varies from what you turn on or off, and allow, ie attachments, thumbnails, avatars, etc.

Basically everything you see on vBulletin is SQL driven in someway, whether it be colours, layout, or templating, or user/post information
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thanks - just wanted to confirm that - so if i have a limit of 200mb for a database it could cause a problem?

Comment

in the long run perhaps....

I know my database size for vBulletin has barely reached 150MB....
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thanks - I've done a quick bit of digging and feel a lot more comfortable about it now. Will be making a purcahse very soon. Thanks for the help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X