Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering purchasing upgrade option

Hi,

I have vBulletin installed on one site, however I also have a few hacks installed (Ushop, V3Arcade and vBookie).

I would like to upgrade to the most recent, secure version of vBulletin, but I am not sure how to go about upgrading whilst keeping the hacks in place. If I was to purchase the upgrade option would you be able to handle this for me?

Thanks
    James

Sorry to inform that vbulletin doesn't handle hacks in the first place.

What you can do is after the upgrading of the software you can try rehack it yourself or you may ask for help in vb.org
    Site Administrator :: LifeStyleX Community

Comment

Depending upon how many versions there are different, you can compare a virgin copy of the vB you are running with a virgin copy of the new vB and make those same changes to your modded vB.

In other words, compare showthread.php 3.0.1 version to showthread.php 3.0.7 version and then make the same changes in your showthread.php 3.0.1 (hacked).

Nobody said it's easy though.

The alternative is to download vB3.0.7, make a copy of it, and re-hack all those files and then upload em. And you'll have to check vbulletin.org to see if any of those hacks require tweaks to work with newer versions of vB.

Comment

sounds like a nightmare!

Comment

What version are you on at the moment?

If you are on v3.04/5 or something like that, you can just apply the updated init.php files (and others) from the announcements to patch your vBulletin and fix any security problems. That is however only if no hacks changed your init.php file.
          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

Originally posted by JBD
            sounds like a nightmare!
            Pretty much. The more hacks you add, the more work subsequent upgrades to vB are.

People download vB3 and then get carried away and spend 4 hours hacking it to pieces. Then they are upset when vB3.0.x comes out and it's time for another 4 hours of hacking.

Hopefully Jelsoft will add a module system where software can hook into vB's admin control panel, user control panel, threads, posts, users, etc. without requiring major surgery like it does now. Upgrades won't be 1-click, but they won't take 3 hours either.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X