Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Create group that allows users to reply to closed threads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create group that allows users to reply to closed threads?

I'm looking for some forum software that allows certain groups of users to reply to closed threads. You may not see the benefit of it, but I have reasons to be able to do this. I need the group option because I have need to move various users in and out of this group when they need/don't need the option of replying to closed threads (their own closed thread btw).

I have read and understand that moving them into the smod group would do this, but I do not wish for them to have any more power than a regular users, other than replying to closed threads. Can this be accomplished with vB? It would be most influencial in my buying decision

thanks

Only the Mods groups have this power in vB. Chaning this requires modifying the code. We don't provide official support for code modifications, but once you are a customer you can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

What I'm looking for is software that will allow only 1 user to post in a certain thread, but that thread must exist in a forum that everyone else has access to... is this possible in any fashion with vB without modifying the code (my superiors will not want to do this).

Comment

Yes, there is a permission that will only let thread starters post in their replies

Comment

Make an admin demo account, create a test usergroup, on the specific forum, give it "can start new thread?" set to no (or yes, depending on your need), give it "can reply own thread?" set to yes, give it "can reply to other thread?" set to no. Then test to see if that's what you need.

Cheers
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            Yes, there is a permission that will only let thread starters post in their replies
            Zachery, could you please provide a little more detail? I would like to have ONE user have the ability to add posts to a thread that he started - while it's closed to everyone else. This is only for ONE thread - not the whole forum. Thus I don't want to assign him to any special group. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by erkme73
              I would like to have ONE user have the ability to add posts to a thread that he started - while it's closed to everyone else. This is only for ONE thread - not the whole forum.
              Limit him to just one thread? No. There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The only thing I can think of that would be similar to what you're asking for, is to:
                Put the user in a usergroup of their own, give that usergroup the ability to open/close their own threads for the forum in which you want them to be able to accomplish this. That will make it so that user can open/close the thread to post what he needs (not sure if it will allow him to post without opening it) while others cannot.

Comment

Steve, thanks for the prompt response.

I may be over-complicating this. I want this one user to be able to post replies to closed threads - but only the ones HE started. If that's forum wide, that's ok, because chances are he's only started a couple of them anyway - and none of the others have been closed.

So, what I needed from you was the location of the switch that permits a user to continue posting to a thread he started - even after it's been closed. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by erkme73
                    I may be over-complicating this. I want this one user to be able to post replies to closed threads - but only the ones HE started.
                    This can be done with forum permisssions and usergroups:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Can Post Threads -> Yes
                    Can Reply to Own Threads -> Yes
                    Can Reply to Others' Threads -> No

You would need to create a usergroup and place this member in it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      This can be done with forum permisssions and usergroups:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Can Post Threads -> Yes
                      Can Reply to Own Threads -> Yes
                      Can Reply to Others' Threads -> No

You would need to create a usergroup and place this member in it.
                      Got it. I created a new group, and turn on permissions for the items you indicated. However, if the thread is closed, while logged in as the user, I cannot click on the "closed" button to add a post. I get a "Sorry thread is closed" error. I can open the thread, post, then reclose it, but it's not like it is when I'm logged in as the admin - where I click the closed button, and it functions as a reply button.

Should the user of the group above be able to reply to his own thread if it's closed, or does it first have to be reopened?

Comment

No, only Admins and Mods can reply to closed threads. Sorry I didn't see this in your title.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Daggonnit you're fast... So really what I need to do is under forum permissions allow this special usergroup to be able to open/close threads that user started. That seems to do the trick. Except, my concern is that during the time it's opened others may start posting. Or, more likely, the guy will forget to close it after he's done updating the thread.

The idea of turning him into a moderator is interesting. There is no way to make a moderator of a THREAD only - vs. the forum, correct?

Thanks again...

Comment

No, Mods can only be assigned to a specific forum. Whay are these threads closed to begin with? If the permissions are set correctly then only the people allowed to do so can reply to them.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

You should not close it. If you want all users to only post and reply in their own threads in that forum, then set the same permissions for all, but leave the threads open.
                              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X