Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums that transfer well?

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on starting a new site in the next few months and had a question for you all. I won't be able to use vBulletin right off the bat because the $160 ($197 Canadian) combined with the cost of the host I plan to use is a bit much to spend all at once in my current situation (I'm immigrating to Canada and that crap is expensive).

I'd like to use a free forum software for a couple of months after my site launches just to stay in the "green" and have time to save up for an owned liscence. What I would like to know is what forum software transfers over to vBulletin the absolute best? Passwords, attachments, profiles, everything. From what I've experienced in helping people move from IPB to vBulletin there's always a couple things that don't get moved over (everyone had to reset their passwords with the IPB move).

Thanks for your help!

I have only used phpBB before vBulletin so not sure of the others.

I had no problems moving my forum from phpBB even though it was heavily modified,all my users ,forums,posts ETC all moved over nice and smooth.

Comment

Thanks, playstation I was considering using phpBB for a little bit but I thought I'd make sure it would transfer EVERYTHING over when the time came.

Comment

I suppose you could just get vB directly and don't worry about transfering, or go down the line the list of importers and see which combination imports best.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102412
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

The problem with importing is that I don't know of any other forum script that uses vB's password system, so it's likely you'll have to reset passwords anyways (please correct me if I'm wrong). All other data is pretty safe, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Icheb
            The problem with importing is that I don't know of any other forum script that uses vB's password system, so it's likely you'll have to reset passwords anyways (please correct me if I'm wrong). All other data is pretty safe, though.
            Just get a forum that uses a standard MD5 hashing and you'll be fine
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X