Post Via Email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo Groups type functionality

I have a Snitz Forum which is moderately used along with a 2000+ user Yahoo Group which is VERY active. After much investigation I believe vB is the right solution to replace the current Snitz board BUT I can't rationalize the money and conversion work without the ability to merge the Yahoo Group into it.

If the base vB code or a plugin supported Yahoo Groups type functionality, our organization would buy immediately. vB would have a clear differentiating feature which would blow away the competition. Look at all the Yahoo Groups organizations and figure a 10% conversion rate - big market!

Come on, vB, make us happy AND cash in on a unmet need!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      No sorry. That is not a feature in vB.
      Sorry to be a bit late in this thread, but it appears to be a feature in vB in that if I email [email protected] then my email shows up as a post in a forum/thread. It really isn't possible for others to have this functionality?

-k.

Comment

You may check www.vbulletin.org for a mod/hack to do post by email, but the security risks and server load (from what I understand) are generally too high to make this feature worthwhile. As to why this occurs, it's part of vBulletin.com's support system.

Comment

Originally posted by mankoff
          Sorry to be a bit late in this thread, but it appears to be a feature in vB in that if I email [email protected] then my email shows up as a post in a forum/thread. It really isn't possible for others to have this functionality?

-k.
          That is our support system which is not part of vBulletin.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Any activity in this area? I would buy this product immediately if it could integrate with a mailing list. As others mentioned, many users are totally immovable from the mailing list format. At present, I pay significant money to Listserv to keep a mailing list going. On top of that, I use phpBB with a somewhat hacky mailtoforum mod installed. Right now, all that happens is that the forum is subscribed to the mailing list and all the mails at least get archived that way. The mod uses some basic logic to make it's best guess as to which thread incoming messages go with, but they all go to the same forum/board. Outgoing mail (from posts) is sent to the Listserv address and listserv does the distribution.

I'd be happier to even have a built-in, fully supported feature to do what this phpBB mod does. Ideally, I could stop using Listserv altogether.

Comment

There is no plan to add this anytime in the near future. Sorry.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I would buy this product immediately if it could integrate with a mailing list. As others mentioned, many users are totally immovable from the mailing list format.
                Last stumbling block for a sale via me as it goes.

( worthless post indeed, but at least I will get updated via email should there be developments to this thread )

Comment

Hi

Use groupserver.org it is a free replacement of yahoogroups

Comment

Yup, this is probably the longest running request in all of vBulletin. I check in every few months hoping for an enhancement, an add-on, or something. I want to move off of Yahoogroups in the worst way but after running a pilot, my users still want email delivery and posting of messages.

I imagine this is a difficult thing to get working properly or else somebody (even a 3rd party) would have done it by now and made lots of $$$. Yahoogroups seems to have a lock on this feature.

I keep hoping that persistence wears down resistance and will continue checking in every few months myself. Maybe someday!!

Comment

It's a nice suggestion but there are numerous mail servers on various amounts of architectures that lead the problem.

Some people have root so they can pipe an email to a script as its received, some do not so whould have to rely on a cron task to run every minute to check emails and parse them.

Neither of these are pretty efficient in the ways of memory or CPU so that leads to the final stage which is some sort of daemon based setup that checks periodically for new emails.

So if you need to write a daemon that works on all systems to fetch email, that narrows you down to a few languages and a big bunch of headaches and thats just to receive email data.

The next huge task is the numerous amounts of email clients that parse data in different ways and translating that to something vBulletin could understand.

Hope thats clarified it a little, it is possible it would just be a huge undertaking that could take many months of development to get working and integrated.
                      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Any news on this feature ?

Hi All,

Any news on this feature : post via email ?

Cheers
                        Guy

Comment

Uh, read the post above yours.

Comment

Posts by email

Originally posted by Reaktor7
                            I cant see the need (not reasons) for posting via email. However, it might be justified i guess.
                            The main need would be that it's a feature of good forum systems that vBulletin doesn't support, which makes it a less attractive system for serious forums. It adds functionality that many users appreciate, some consider essential, and there's no reason for it not to be included.

It's simple to do, can be done in a way that poses no security threats whatsoever, and dramatically increases the popularity for forums that have it.

A good example is DiscusWare's forum system, Discus, which enables posts to go out by email is the user wants to receive them, and enables users to reply by email if they wish (administrators can also administrate by email).

Why vBulletin doesn't support this I just don't understand.

Comment

I also don't see why it's so difficult.

Each e-mail that goes out would have some special tags that identify the threadid, postid, date, time, original poster, etc. so that when the user replies, their post will go in the right place and in response to the correct post.

If a user replies and their e-mail client mangles this tagging or they quote in such a way that there are two conflicting tags, they'll get a response that they need to use a better client and instructions on how not to mangle the tags.

Yes, vBulletin would need to be able to read a POP account.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X