Free forums before vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free forums before vBulletin

I am looking to setup a free forums script before purchasing vBulletin as atm there is simply no budget for the site.

I have seen plenty of posts around documenting problems with importing so would like to know what forums script I'm best going with before vBulletin that will cause least problems when the time comes to change also if anyone knows any particular versions of free forums scripts that cause as little pain as possible would be greatly appreciated

importing form phpBB is going very well..
    StylWolny.pl - Polskie Forum Dyskusyjne | guziki wieszaki producent - Bonetti.pl
    Join Tattoo Group Now

Comment

Yes, I would go with phpBB, only because the convertor (from what I've heard) works well.
      Forums

Comment

Installed phpBB and I can't use it, well I can 'use it' but I simply cannot put up with the lack of functions and how badly its running on my server! 500 errors everywhere. What's the import process from ipb like?

Comment

I know someone who did the IPB -> vB import, and they said it took a while, but worked well.
          Forums

Comment

cool i hope so i dont suppose there is a free say 'test license' for vBulletin that allows you to install it to test out?

Comment

No, but there is a full online demo available. It lets you try out the entire software for free. Go to http://www.vbulletin.com, and browse around for the online demo.
              Forums

Comment

500 errors indicate possibly a malconfigured .htaccess or .htpasswd file.

Comment

I aint got a .htaccess or .htpasswd file though

Comment

those are apache server files that resides on the vBulletin server that grants you access to the admindemo
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Edit: phpBB & Invision have 500 errors

The 500 errors have been occuring on my server. I'm thinking there must be a problem with apache.

It has only come up when trying to post www.xenon101.co.uk/test.txt at first I thought it was because it's a long post but that dont appear to be the case, so im guessing one of the characters is messing with apache/php.

Comment

If both ipb & phpbb give the same errors it a hosting issue and not a software issue. Please contact support on the web site of ipb/phpbb for those softwares.

And no, there is no test version of vBulletin - there is a test.php script you could run to see if your server meets requirements. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103980

Comment

Cheers will give them a try and may as well recompile apache see if that fixes anything

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X