Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I bought a license and made a negative comment on the forum would you ban me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to thank everyone for responding to my question and concerns. I definitely plan to buy a vBulletin license soon. Actually, I was just amazed to realize that right now as a non-customer of vBulletin I can browse and read all of the forums, yet at IPB's forums where I am paying customer with a lifetime license I can not have access to even read important anouncements posted in the customer forums. It boggles the mind. As far as all the circumstances that led to IPB banning me, that one post that I made, where I even qualified it at the end with a built in apology and expression that this is just my opinion..."Sorry, IPB, that's just the way I see it." That one comment was the reason for them banning me by their own justification in describing it as..."That wasn't negative feedback it was a rude, abusive statement designed to damage the company." Also, the reason I don't think that the President of IPB was sincere in apologizing for falsely accusing me of running illegal boards was because of this response he made to me, where "point 3" is the issue of him having said to me, "Not to mention you have multiple 2.0 series boards running without a license."

As to point 3 I apologize as it seems I mistook you for another customer.

The other points stand. A lifetime license is not refundable. Technical support is available in the client area. We have never provided support via the forums a fact which is made clear all over the site. We also make the fact clear we reserve the right to restrict access to the forums if we so choose.

Besides, if you truly do not use the license, as you mentioned you would not need support.

--------------------

Charles Warner
    Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
    [email protected] - 1-800-901-5491 (434-352-4334)
    Purchase Invision Power Board - IPS Hosting
    Notice, the last sentence... "Besides, if you truly do not use the license, as you mentioned you would not need support." In the same response as the apology, or more accurately, the excuse for what he said, he goes ahead and basically makes the same accusation again. I guess he figures there's no way to know for sure if I'm using illegal boards (which I am absolutely not, and never would). I can only speculate that he feels he might as well as make the accusation and if I am using illegal boards I'll get frightened and go away. And, on the other hand, if I'm an honest customer not using any illegal boards, no harm done in accusing a paying customer of being a theif.

What makes the whole thing even worse is that I responded to that message, that I appreciated and accepted his apology, even though I knew he wasn't sincere, in hopes of simply resolving the matter...

I appreciate and accept your apology regarding point 3. Thank you. I still feel that this matter can be resolved amicably on both sides. I am still baffled that I was not given any warning before being banned. Can you honestly say that I was a demon customer that was causing havoc on your forums, attacking people, spewing profanity, and attacking your company left and right? I still think you have me confused with another customer if you think this is the case. If I was simply notified that "You are not allowed to make any negative comments about the company or products on the forums" then I would have refrained from doing so and still would. Your company should have given me a warning as reflected in your own policy. As to your comment:

"Besides, if you truly do not use the license, as you mentioned you would not need support."

While its true that I am not using the license yet, I plan on using it soon (hopefuly) to build my first forum and website. I have found that browsing and participating in the forums is an invaluable tool for gaining knowledge and insight about IPB, and the developments of other products like the Blog, and I would not want to undertake building and administering a forum where that forum access was denied to me. If I am not to be allowed access to the forums then I would prefer to receive a refund and move on to another product where I can be fully involved and informed in the community.

Sincerely,
    Gregg Heifetz
    After that, I received a communication from each member of IPS's Management team telling me that I will not be unbanned, with each message concluded with a sarcastic little smiley

This whole experience has been very upsetting and I can definitely see myself using to much of my energies getting steamed up about this, so now I'm going to try to put this whole bad experience behind me. I appreciate all the input, and hope to soon be a customer. Thanks

Comment

Hey Gregg:

I'm sorry you've had an unpleasant experience with IPB. I hope your vBulletin experience will be much better.

From a consumer standpoint, my best advice is this: If you feel you aren't satisifed with IPB and/or with their services, and wish to get a refund back, go to your credit card company and dispute the charge and get your money back.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        Hey Gregg:

I'm sorry you've had an unpleasant experience with IPB. I hope your vBulletin experience will be much better.

From a consumer standpoint, my best advice is this: If you feel you aren't satisifed with IPB and/or with their services, and wish to get a refund back, go to your credit card company and dispute the charge and get your money back.
        I appreciate the advice, but unfortunately I paid for the license with PayPal and PayPal has a policy of only allowing refund submission within 45 days of the purchase. I made the the purchase several months ago, so if IPS does not voluntarily agree to do the right and decent thing and refund my money (which all indications from the entire management team's behavior in this incident, it looks like they wont) it looks like I am stuck with the license.

Comment

I suppose you are not allowed to resell the license and transfer it to someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            I suppose you are not allowed to resell the license and transfer it to someone else?
            I'm not sure. I'll have to find out about that.

Comment

You could always offer it as the booby prize in a new 'I'm launching my vB forum' contest... hehehehe
              John

Comment

You can resell it to someone else; all you have to do is arrange it to be sold, then tell them you're transfering your license to so and so on whatever email address etc. I don't know who'd want to buy a license from such unprofessional group though...
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

The best way to make a better product is to listen to consumer comments even if its a negative comments that how better products are made with out a consumer their be no sale which means no money for their company ..from what I read from your statement and the way their people and product is I wouldnt buy it... There other boards products to look at but I tell you one thing if you look at alot of site's out there you see VB and UBB working on their site I have ubb and VB board's and frankly VB is alittle hard to get it going but once you do it alot better than Ubb and the rest of them out there taken from a newbe as myself thats my 2 cents I hope you enjoy it and the cost is really not that bad either
                  Originally posted by Alfarin
                  You can resell it to someone else; all you have to do is arrange it to be sold, then tell them you're transfering your license to so and so on whatever email address etc. I don't know who'd want to buy a license from such unprofessional group though...

Comment

Isnt that kind of a threat? "I highly suggest you fade away quietly."
                    Anyways.. IPS is very touchy. They got really defensive on IPB 2 when PF 4 was released with the skinning changes.

Comment

Another very good reason why I love my decision to buy two vB licenses over that IPG! (Yeah, that G is NOT a typo!) And oh, I am buying two more!
                      =)

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                        Tech support is not a "privilege", it's included in the product. Unless the Terms and Conditions say "We may revoke your right to use our tech support forum if we don't like what you have to say".
                        Well, as the quote he posted was from a support ticket, it appears that he still had access to technical support.
                        The IPS Company Forums are an unofficial/informal place for technical support. Official support is offered via ticket system, live chat, and phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Abusiveelusive
                          Well, as the quote he posted was from a support ticket, it appears that he still had access to technical support.
                          The IPS Company Forums are an unofficial/informal place for technical support. Official support is offered via ticket system, live chat, and phone.
                          I think the issue here isn't the support but the moronic reason for the ban and the behaviour of IPB staff...
                          A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

I'm pretty sure your vBulletin experience will be much better, as it was with me. IPB, I've tried IPB 1.3 and their PF releases, aswell as their trial (2.0.3). I like to play around with these things. Well, all I can say is, I really like IPB 2's blue look, but I really do not like their forum manager. Their forum manager is probably one of the most annoying things I've experienced, since you have to set each permissions for each usergroup. If it can be automated, I didn't see it clearly and if I had an IPB license, I would definately have already asked if they have a system that automates the forum permissions. I also noticed that images bigger than the postbit can really screw up the looks and the template as seen here. On the other hand, the features I like more in IPB is the looks of the quote and the way you can 'tick' multiple quotes, looks of the quotes, the 'Show detailed by:' feature in the who's online box (forumhome), 'Today's top 10 posters', and it comes with a set of avatars.
                            Let the flames begin.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
                              You could always offer it as the booby prize in a new 'I'm launching my vB forum' contest... hehehehe

Don't know why I'm laughing cos I'm stuck with one as well!
                              Homes-Spain

Comment

Since posting about this here I have receieved one last PM from the President of IPS...

As is our policy access to the forums is not part of the paid services.

You may review our terms here:

http://invisionpower.com/?standards

--------------------

Charles Warner
                                Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
                                [email protected] - 1-800-901-5491 (434-352-4334)
                                Purchase Invision Power Board - IPS Hosting
                                I responded...

As I already said, your company made representations to me before and after I purchased my license, that as a result of having a license I would be granted access to special customer forums, regardless of what is in the fine print. I honestly don't have the energy or desire to discuss this with your company anymore, given the rude and abusive way the management of your company (Charles in particular) have treated me and spoken to me... Telling me in my first question, as to why I was banned... "I highly suggest you quietly fade away." Also, acussing me of being a theif and running multiple illegal boards. And purposely mischaracterizing my feedback post as something that it was not. As well as concluding each message to me telling me that I will not be unbanned with a little smiley...nice sarcastic touch in dealing with an upset customer. As to my request for a refund, I've contacted PayPal and was advised that since its past 45 days since I made the purchase there is nothing they can do, so if you decide not to refund the money and deny me services you represented I would receive in purchasing a license, I realize there is really nothing I can do about it. By the way, there are announcements and important information posted in the customer forums which now I can not even read, let alone post to. For Instance...

http://forums.invisionpower.com/inde...owtopic=163574

I'm getting sick just talking about all this again. I would just rather not discuss it anymore.

Sincerely,
                                Gregg Heifetz
                                At least they respected my wishes not to discuss it anymore, since its been 2 days since I have heard from anyone at IPS. Silly me, I still thought there was a slight chance they would apologize for the way they treated me, and what they said to me. I think (or at least I hope) they realize that they all have behaved so badly and wrongly, that there is just no way they could apologize for what they have done. I think its better this way. Even if every member of IPS' management apologized, I could not in all honesty accept it now. They have done too much, and said too many abusive and nasty things to me, for me to be able to accept any apology now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X