Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Large PHPBB to a VB3?

Hello,
    My forums have continued to grow and grow, and i am considering changing to VB.
    There is over 9,000 members, and over 260,000 posts. The SQL file is over 400mb.

How easy is it to convert from my PHPBB to a new version of VB? What exactly does converting entail?
    Also, has anyone converted themes? How easy is that.

I have little experience of using PHPMyAdmin/SSH etc. but i am comfortable at doing things like installations, code changing etc.

I would say fairly easy, as long as you are confortable with editing some files and doing abit of dirty work. You should be able to import vBulletin with little trouble.

Just so you know the phpBB importer is only designed to work with stock data, It will not import any data by default from other tables / rows / fields in the database.

Comment

There's no way you'll be able to convert a PHPBB theme to vB. The two are entirely different. vB makes extensive use of CSS which would not match up with PHPBB at all. That said, it is very easy to customize how vB looks and there are several websites with free and/or inexpensive plug-and-play vBulletin styles.

If you want to change the color scheme and fonts around, it is VERY easy to do this through vBulletin's style control panel and you shouldn't have to buy or import anything to do what you want. Just make sure you take a snapshot of what your PHPBB forum looks like if you are wanting to make a reasonable recreation of its color scheme.

Comment

Feldon, don't say no way.

Just a very long hard way if you want 100% the same

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          I would say fairly easy, as long as you are confortable with editing some files and doing abit of dirty work. You should be able to import vBulletin with little trouble.

Just so you know the phpBB importer is only designed to work with stock data, It will not import any data by default from other tables / rows / fields in the database.
          What exactly would i have to do? I am definatly no good at backing up and restoring databases which is 1 of the thnigs holding me back from upgrading. Is it a script or something which "transforms" the DB to a VB one, or is it a case of restoring my DB into VB/the importer and it doing whatever it does?

Comment

vBulletin's ImpEx (Import / Export) system does not touch any of the old data aside from reading it.

The install & import process is.

Installing vBulletin, Install Impex, Configure Impex, Press buttons.

That is an overly simplified version. but it holds true for the most part.

I did a rather large import recently and it took me about 25~ min

Comment

I have just had a quick look at a VB ~ PHPBB converter, it just seems like it is a script which is run from the browser.
              Is Impex the same type of thing?

Comment

How did you look at it?

Only licensed members can download it,

and yes, it is a script that is run in the browser...

Comment

I Know, i said VB to PHPBB not vice versa :P (Its on the PHPBB site)

I will consider upgrading, are there any other reasons to tempt me (like lower server load than phpbb, etc.)

Comment

Overall, depending, it could be very much less.

I've been working with some people over at theadminzone.com who have larger phpbb boards, and from what I have seen the phpBB script updates tables alot more often when it is not nessary. (as a general observance)

If you are a designer you should really enjoy working with vBulletin's style system, and even if you are not ease of use should be very handy.

Comment

one last thing; If i purchase the software now, is it instant? i.e. will i be able to download it, use it etc. more or less straight away? Or do i have to wait for whatever reason?

Comment

This depends on your payment method. If with your PayPal funds (and not an eCheck), just a few minutes. With a credit card this can take up to 24 hours, but normally no more than 2 hours.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X