Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed from IPB about a year ago, vB all the way. It is so much easier to skin and modify.

Comment

i am in the process of moving my forums from IPB to vB. I wanted to update them and had the option of paying for IPB or paying for vB.

vB is more reliable, more robust and far better from an admin stand point. At the moment i'm just prepping the "new" site and sorting out theskins. impex worked a charm fro importing, though reordeing ~100 forums was a real pain at least you only have to do it once.

Comment

Be sure to install a PHP accelerator. After a wide research, I find that the reason why vB is a little slower is that functions.php is too big. PHP costs lots of resourse to parse it. If you install a accelerator, the byte codes are cached and functions.php has no need to parse again.
        Recommended accelerator is eAccelerator. Zend Optimizer has no use.

Also you'd better to move attachments/avatars to filesystem to reduce database size. It'll make the less DB load.

Comment

007pig, thanks for the info, I'll definetly look into it. How are preparation coming along for May 1st?
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by KimmiKat
            And phpBB is even ahead of IPB!

vB is the standard in forum software as we all know!
            Now that's not correct as you well know. Invision would rival vBulletin for feature richness or bloat depending on viewpoint.

Given the current ... er ... developments over at IPS we are looking at moving our sites to vBulletin. Service alone is probably enough to indicate which product is a better choice. Four weeks and counting on a ticket at IPS.

Does vBulletin have a multi quote option btw, am sure it does but cannot locate the option?

Forgot to add, we used vBulletin back in the 2.4.x days and Steve Mac was a top support person.

Dear god in heaven the smilies are dreadful.

Comment

hmm..
              it looks like it does...
              ^--- Is that what you are looking for?
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalled
                Does vBulletin have a multi quote option btw, am sure it does but cannot locate the option?
                If you mean quote multiple posts at once, you must do it manually with vBulletin right now. Though, I do think it shouldn't be too hard to code a custom hack for it...

Forgot to add, we used vBulletin back in the 2.4.x days and Steve Mac was a top support person.
                And he still is. He's always around answering my strangest questions and helping me with my installations. (THANKS STEVE )

well, each to their own... You can easily use other smilies that your crew make anyways
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

Four weeks and counting on a ticket at IPS.
                  Four weeks and the ticket is being actively worked on? Because I doubt it is four weeks with no response.

I still would find it odd to be open that long, and you word it to seem like they take 4 weeks to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Abusiveelusive
                    Four weeks and the ticket is being actively worked on? Because I doubt it is four weeks with no response.

I still would find it odd to be open that long, and you word it to seem like they take 4 weeks to respond.
                    IPB is the suck board i ever see in my life I use it ..and i hate it so bad.

First of all Their MODS and Staff they do nto give a dume **** about They Members after they have pay for Full V.. their Support is sooo bad.

u must go to the Client Area And wait 2 day to get support .. or maybe more..

VB is the best support i ever see in my life best then phpBB that is a free software the poeple and user here. is helpign each other..

but trust me .. that after u pay for ipb u will get alot of problems and u will get sick from their support..

This is really badthink dont go to any board and they have slow support..

VB Rulez

Comment

Given the current ... er ... developments over at IPS we are looking at moving our sites to vBulletin. Service alone is probably enough to indicate which product is a better choice. Four weeks and counting on a ticket at IPS.
                      I converted last week after 3 years using IPB....most of the time as a paying customer including Hosting.
                      And I'm glad I did. I wish I'd done it a lot sooner too.
                      Homes-Spain

Comment

Most anything have bloat nowadays.

There is multi-quote mod available at vbulletin.org, maybe it will be included in a future release.

2.4.X days? The current series 2 version is 2.3.6, and that series will not be supported forever.

I agree about the smilies, but at least you can use any smilies out there. I kept the IPB smilies when I migrated to vB since I liked those better. I've seen a couple vB boards use phpBB smilies. So you can move your existing smilies to vB.

Now that's not correct as you well know. Invision would rival vBulletin for feature richness or bloat depending on viewpoint.

Kim

Comment

For a non-programmer, which is easier to add add-ons such as a blog, or ad sponsor ad section?

Comment

Originally posted by Abusiveelusive

Well if you spent some time at the IPS forums you would note this isn't an isolated case, of course you have to read the threads before they get deleted. Not going to say too much more on the subject, as no doubt one of the mods here will can the thread or something.

Thanks for the word on multi quote. Is a nice feature standard with Invision, will include the modification when we cross-grade/upgrade/whatever.

Comment

Well if you spent some time at the IPS forums you would note this isn't an isolated case, of course you have to read the threads before they get deleted. Not going to say too much more on the subject, as no doubt one of the mods here will can the thread or something.

Thanks for the word on multi quote. Is a nice feature standard with Invision, will include the modification when we cross-grade/upgrade/whatever.
                              I still find it hard to believe that you have had a ticket open for 4 weeks without a response. Is this the case?

Comment

Here's a tip

DONT BUY IPB!!!!
                                If you want to try it to see how good/bad it is then go on torrents, get a copy off there and try it.
                                If you then like it, change the version and copyright to match that of the last developed free version.

However DO BUY vBulletin!!!
                                The support is excellent, they don't get mad at you for saying things could be improved and offering constructive criticism, the dev. team are experienced and skilled, all the "posh" forums have it :P

P.S I'm sure the vBulletin team delete posts too, just not as many as IPS do!
                                Last edited by NthDegree; Thu 13 Apr '06, 2:33pm. Reason: Didn't post WYSIWYG!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X