Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do I need to download and open vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do I need to download and open vBulletin?

I havent bought Vbulletin yet. I need to know what software I will need on my PC so that I can dowload it, open the file, and run the software. I have XP home. In the past I have downloaded files and when I try to open the file I get a window that says "Windows cannot open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it". ----I'm not a computer expert, so i'll get stumped if this happens.

What will I need?

THANKS !!!

Just a ZIP program like Winzip, and a good PHP editor....notepad will suffice, but there's other programs like crimson editor.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by soimcrazy
      I havent bought Vbulletin yet. I need to know what software I will need on my PC so that I can dowload it, open the file, and run the software. I have XP home. In the past I have downloaded files and when I try to open the file I get a window that says "Windows cannot open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it". ----I'm not a computer expert, so i'll get stumped if this happens.

What will I need?

THANKS !!!
      vBulletin is not a program that normally runs on your pc, to run vBulletin you will need a web host who supports php 4.1.0 or higher and mysql 3.23.33 or higher as well.

php files are just text files. So you can open and edit them with any text editor. But to make them run like they do here you need a webserver capable of using php

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        vBulletin is not a program that normally runs on your pc, to run vBulletin you will need a web host who supports php 4.1.0 or higher and mysql 3.23.33 or higher as well.

php files are just text files. So you can open and edit them with any text editor. But to make them run like they do here you need a webserver capable of using php

I know I hire a web host to host my website, and that host will need the proper software on their servers, but I will have to download the Vbulletin to my home PC so that I can create my website/forum, then upload it to the host.
        Will I need any PHP software on my home PC so that I can download the Vbulletin and open/run it?

Comment

You need to install a web server, PHP and MySQL on your PC to do this.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Unzipping,

With WindowsXp you DO NOT need extra software to decompress a file.
            XP has it built in. Unless for some reason you like it (WinZip), I am just saying it is NOT required.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
              You need to install a web server, PHP and MySQL on your PC to do this.
              I have to install a web server on my PC ?? I wont be hosting it from my PC, I'll just be maintaining the forum from my PC.....and I'll need server software on my PC ?
              I'll hire a webhost to host my forum/website.

Where do I get the web server , php, and mysql software?

Comment

I read the documentation. You just download the software to your home PC, edit the config.php file as needed, and then upload the files to the server and install/configure right from your web browser.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/

Comment

Originally posted by soimcrazy
                  I have to install a web server on my PC ?? I wont be hosting it from my PC, I'll just be maintaining the forum from my PC.....and I'll need server software on my PC ?
                  I'll hire a webhost to host my forum/website.
                  I thought you were asking what you need to do to run it on your PC.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X