X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Vbulletin Email features

Hello,

I am interested in possibly purchasing Vbulletin but Im looking for a certain feature or capability and would like to know for sure if Vbulletin has this before I buy.

I did not see this question asked yet, so I am sorry if its been asked before.

I am looking to replace a yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/) for something much better.

The individual emails / mailing list feature I one feature they have that I have found that every other message board out there does not have so far.

For those of you who have never used yahoo groups, when a member posts a message on the message board, any member who has selected to receive their posts via email will have the message emailed to them along with any file attachments and html coding in the message body.

Then after the member reads the received email from the yahoo group, if they decide that they would like to reply to the post they can hit reply on the email client and then type up a reply and attach a file if they like and then click the send button and the email will get posted to the message that the original came from.

My questions to all is will Vbulletin send out emails when a message is posted to the forum?

The closest i have come to yahoos email feature is phpbb and the m2f program. (www.mail2forum.com ) Mail 2 Forum.

Thanks

Doug
    Removed-1078464
    Last edited by Removed-1078464; Tue 8 Mar '05, 9:49am.

vB does not function like YahooGroups and does not provide those mailing list functions. Adding that capability requires modifying the code. We don't provide official support for code modifications, but once you are a customer you can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Steve,

Im actually quite surprised that Vbulletin has not adopted this feature already to their board as it is getting very popular among the members of yahoo groups and PHPBB users who have used this feature.

Im sorry to say that i am not going to pay $160.00 just to "test" the message board and "see" if it can be done or not.

If Vbulletin ever comes up with thise feature let me know.

In the mean time I'll keep looking around to see if any other message boards offer this feature.

Doug

Comment

You don't have to pay 160.00 to test the board. You can check it out the free trial at:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

There you have 24 hours to play with it and see if it suits your needs.

Originally posted by dcpaq2
        Steve,

Im actually quite surprised that Vbulletin has not adopted this feature already to their board as it is getting very popular among the members of yahoo groups and PHPBB users who have used this feature.

Im sorry to say that i am not going to pay $160.00 just to "test" the message board and "see" if it can be done or not.

If Vbulletin ever comes up with thise feature let me know.

In the mean time I'll keep looking around to see if any other message boards offer this feature.

Doug
        Kim

Comment

A 24 hour demo is not going to allow me to find out if someone can come up with the feature that I am looking for. Especially when i cannot even ask this question on either of the forums unless i have already bought a copy.

Steve's reply.

"We don't provide official support for code modifications, but once you are a customer you can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org."
          Removed-1078464
          Last edited by Removed-1078464; Tue 8 Mar '05, 9:54am.

Comment

dcpaq2, no other group gives you support like vbulletin. They gave me top notch service. I have a few boards. (ezbord,php) Both cant stand up too vbulletin and the closes one support sucks

Just for the great support its worth the 160 and they move fast. Play around with them other boards you will be back soon
            damian dunlap
            Last edited by damian dunlap; Thu 10 Feb '05, 6:37am. Reason: add info

Comment

Of course every product is what it is. However, this would clearly be a VERY desirable feature to incorporate.

I have a fairly good sized yahoo board in operation. I have recently set up my vBulletin and asked a select number of users to test and provide me feedback. The #1 issue that comes up is, "So can I easily set it so that ALL of the messages are sent to me via email (not just a link to a message) AND can I reply to messages via email.

So yes, even though I have already paid my monies, I am still not sure if I will be able to migrate the group over unless I find a hack that handles this (no luck thus far).

VB is a GREAT product, but I do concur that this is a big miss in the feature set.

Comment

vBulletin is a web forum, not a mailing list manager....
                vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Yea ok thats fine, But who says that Vbulletin can't be a so called "mailing list manager" as you call it???

Just because you dont agree with the idea doesn't mean you have to give us a hard time over it.

This is what we want, why are we being given such a hard time over this.

If you don't like our ideas then please don't comment on it. If you do like the idea then please support us on this and let's try and see if we can find a way to make this happen.

It doesn't have to be a standard feature built into Vbulletin, but if anything it would be nice to have it as an add on mod. Heck I would even pay for the mod if it was available to purchase, such as the photo gallery for example on vbadvanced.

Doug

Comment

Give you a hard time? I just made one comment.

The simple anwer is, vBulletin doesn't do what you want. If you purchase it, then you can seek assistance on vbulletin.org to see if there is a hack, or if there is enough interest for someone to create a hack. Otherwise, you can post it in the Feedback and Suggestions forum here and see if they add the functionality in the future.

If the majority of your users want all the messages to come and go via e-mail, then a web forum isn't what you want. There are LOTs of mailing list managers out there that are cheap (read: free), and will do exactly what you want, using a lot less system resources.
                    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by conqsoft
                      Yes, and yahoogroups is a web forum also. This does not mean that customers can not provide feedback in hopes that a feature might be added. It is certainly an often requested feature here AND on sites like vbulletin.org, unfortunately it is one that nobody has yet to solve.

I am sure that they would make this feature configurable by the admin just for you. So why are you so hung up about not letting anyone else have it?

Comment

Give you a hard time? I just made one comment.
                        Yes give me a hard time. Who cares if Vbulletin is not a mailing list manager, what does that have to do with anyway. I'm asking for a feature that "Could" be added to Vbulletin if there was someone out there willing to take the time to research this. Just because Vbulletin is a webforum does not mean it can't be done.
                        The simple anwer is, vBulletin doesn't do what you want.
                        Ok fine, Vbulletin does not currently do this. How about we all look into this and see about creating this feature? I am willing to pay for it (at a reasonable cost). How about the rest of you out there reading this?
                        If you purchase it, then you can seek assistance on vbulletin.org to see if there is a hack, or if there is enough interest for someone to create a hack.
                        I have already purchased Vbulletin and have posted on both sites and am awaiting a response from anyone who can write the code. I have offered to pay for it as well.
                        Otherwise, you can post it in the Feedback and Suggestions forum here and see if they add the functionality in the future.
                        Ill see about doing that.
                        If the majority of your users want all the messages to come and go via e-mail, then a web forum isn't what you want.
                        But your wrong this is what we want. Some people like the web based forums and some dont want to mess with having to log in and want to do everything via email. this is why this feature is so popular, and especially popular among the older generation.
                        There are LOTs of mailing list managers out there that are cheap (read: free), and will do exactly what you want, using a lot less system resources.
                        Please show us some of these mailing list managers that you are talking about.

Thanks

Doug

Comment

The most popular: http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/

Comment

I'm sure vBulletin could be made to do my taxes for me too. That doesn't mean it's the best choice for the job...

There are lots of issues related to allowing people to post on your site via e-mail. Security is the number one issue. It's so easy for e-mails to be spoofed, which also affects mailing lists... You never really know if that message came from who it says it's from, since they aren't logging in to post.

Comment

Yes, and yahoogroups is a web forum also. This does not mean that customers can not provide feedback in hopes that a feature might be added.
                              I would have to agree with this amphicar770. You log into the group just like you would Vbulletin (web based) Yep thats all we are asking is could we possibly have someone at Vbulletin look into this for us and see about having it created?
                              It is certainly an often requested feature here AND on sites like vbulletin.org, unfortunately it is one that nobody has yet to solve.
                              Yes definately true, about 75 percent of my members on phpbb have expressed that this feature is a must have. 25 percent of my potential members are still over on yahoo groups and wont come over to my phpbb site because I dont have an email feature like yahoo. And whats weird about this whole thing is that nobody else has figured out how to accomplish this task other than Yahoo.

Doug

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X