IPB v. VB - dare to compare system specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPB v. VB - dare to compare system specs

At this point, it's no longer question on who has the better user setting or even how much it will cost to own a copy of either. I'm not as worried as support, as the basic end user would be and I can install either myself. Load time is about the same between the two and the look & feel is also about the same.

It finally comes down to, who uses less system resources without tweaking or optimizing the server, database, or the forum? If your average end user, just simply slapped on a copy onto his/her site, which one would use less ram, cpu, and bandwidth?

I don't want a debate, I want numbers! Myself & others, want facts only & no punch line or smooth talking. Either you can supply or you cant.

(I'm posting this on both company forums)

Well, there have been no official numbers tested before. Well, actually, its wrong to say that... There WAS one biased test conducted, where IPB gave an agency a free dedicated server as well as license to both softwares, and requested them to give review on the two products... Other than that, there have been no tests been done about this before. However, if you want stats, you can try looking at the big forums out there, them heavy traffic forums with hundreds and hundreds of concurrent visitors, all posting away like crazy... You'll notice that the choice for forum software is vbulletin, not IPB; perhaps that tells you which one will preform better on large forums with lower load averages

Cheers.

PS: don't expect that one on IPB's board to last too long... If they find any smallest little bit of offending tone from any post, or comparison of other products, its generally removed pretty quickly...
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

On my old server, which my friend was on, I had vBulletin, and he had IPB, I found IPB to be less server intensive when around 5 users were online, other than that, I found vBulletin to be superior.

I think that vBulletin uses so much CPU load from 1-10 users online to 50-100 users online, IPB increases a small amount with every new user coming online.

Comment

Check out http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=10

It was from an IPB owner giving his feedback
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Alfarin
          Well, there have been no official numbers tested before. Well, actually, its wrong to say that... There WAS one biased test conducted, where IPB gave an agency a free dedicated server as well as license to both softwares, and requested them to give review on the two products... Other than that, there have been no tests been done about this before. However, if you want stats, you can try looking at the big forums out there, them heavy traffic forums with hundreds and hundreds of concurrent visitors, all posting away like crazy... You'll notice that the choice for forum software is vbulletin, not IPB; perhaps that tells you which one will preform better on large forums with lower load averages

Cheers.

PS: don't expect that one on IPB's board to last too long... If they find any smallest little bit of offending tone from any post, or comparison of other products, its generally removed pretty quickly...
          First, my point here isn't meant to be offending. If it came off that way, please believe it wasn't meant as such.

No, it does not tell me VB is better. Only that is has been around longer. IPB is still very new in the world of online forums.

At this point, I'm just looking for VB & IPB to tell me & it's users the truth, wh much ram, cpu, and bandwidth does their forum use?

Comment

Originally posted by bfoot045
            On my old server, which my friend was on, I had vBulletin, and he had IPB, I found IPB to be less server intensive when around 5 users were online, other than that, I found vBulletin to be superior.

I think that vBulletin uses so much CPU load from 1-10 users online to 50-100 users online, IPB increases a small amount with every new user coming online.
            Your post doesn't add up. You said that you found vb more superior, but you also said it used more cpu.

Comment

No, it does not tell me VB is better. Only that is has been around longer. IPB is still very new in the world of online forums.
              Not exactly...
              They are really on version 5.

1.0 = v1
              1.1 = v2
              1.2 = v3
              1.3 = v3
              2.0 = v5

Comment

Originally posted by Bunny
                Not exactly...
                They are really on version 5.

1.0 = v1
                1.1 = v2
                1.2 = v3
                1.3 = v3
                2.0 = v5
                Then god knows what vB's real version is.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlanitsService
                  First, my point here isn't meant to be offending. If it came off that way, please believe it wasn't meant as such.

At this point, I'm just looking for VB & IPB to tell me & it's users the truth, wh much ram, cpu, and bandwidth does their forum use?
                  To be honest, if your server is not properly configured, any script that does the same opperations as vB and IPB will run a server into the ground.

There are a TON of Large vBulletin boards in comparison to then number of Large IPB boards.

According to big-boards.com the first Invision board is number 52, above that is 19 vBulletin forums.

Now of course I am sure they have code modifications at some point.

I would like to think that vBulletin handles load better on a properly configured server.

http://www.big-boards.com/statistics/

Considering that 584 vBulletin message boards makeup some of the largest in the world, when compared to 77 invision, it must be better in some aspect.

Comment

I don't think the ibforums being younger adds up either. Matt has been developing forum software as long as vbulletin existed, he started at boardpower then ikonboard and now ibforums, and a majority of users jumped along with him at each step. The jumps from one product to another follow a similair sort of timeline to the major release dates for vBulletin.

I think the big boards listing is about as independant as you can get - individual "profiling" is always going to be somewhat subjective (although an indepenant company with interest could do a thorough comparision which would be good) - but that list of forums is the best statistic out there at the moment that I can see.
                    Christopher Padfield
                    Web Based Helpdesk
                    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

This is also pretty useful:

http://www.big-boards.com/servers.php to let you know the sort of hardware you need to run these large forums.
                      Christopher Padfield
                      Web Based Helpdesk
                      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Off-topic, sorry... Wow, I didn't know chrispadfield a DP dev is also part of VB team. Congrats on the new release. I must say, I've been eye'ing your software since forever but doubt I'll ever get enough money to purchase it. Congratulations on the new release, I am sure it's got even better features than 2.0.0

Back to topic. I don't think IPB is any younger than VB. In fact, I remember using IPB 1.0 Beta 1 back sometime during May 2002. As well as Matt's IkonBoard prior to his jump backdating all the way to 1999/2000. As you can see from whois stats, vbulletin only registered their domain during 2000 as well, thus, this may very well also mean that IPB is in fact, older than VB. The fact remains, bigger boards chooses VB because of its stability and preformance. I don't see too much activities on the IPB board for your thread, but I am surprised that it lasted thus long...
                        Best Regards,
                        Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Alfarin
                          Off-topic, sorry... Wow, I didn't know chrispadfield a DP dev is also part of VB team. Congrats on the new release. I must say, I've been eye'ing your software since forever but doubt I'll ever get enough money to purchase it. Congratulations on the new release, I am sure it's got even better features than 2.0.0

Back to topic. I don't think IPB is any younger than VB. In fact, I remember using IPB 1.0 Beta 1 back sometime during May 2002. As well as Matt's IkonBoard prior to his jump backdating all the way to 1999/2000. As you can see from whois stats, vbulletin only registered their domain during 2000 as well, thus, this may very well also mean that IPB is in fact, older than VB. The fact remains, bigger boards chooses VB because of its stability and preformance. I don't see too much activities on the IPB board for your thread, but I am surprised that it lasted thus long...
                          The lack of their reply in IPB, speaks louder then you know

Comment

In my opinion, after a couple years of watching forum software:

vb is steadfast in all that they do.
                            Invision seems to be like a fart in a whirlwind.

Bad technical response, but nevertheless true. At IPB, they do not know if they are coming or going.

Free one week & who the heck knows the next.

Other things I have heard makes me tuck tail & run.

There ya go, I just gave ya 2cents for free.

Comment

I actually looked for this thread on IPB's mboard since you mentioned you posted it there, they must've binned it.

Originally posted by AtlanitsService
                              At this point, it's no longer question on who has the better user setting or even how much it will cost to own a copy of either....

[snipped]

(I'm posting this on both company forums)
                              Kim

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X