Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on public & private forums

I have rather simple needs.

I would like to set up a board that has access from the public. At the same time, I would like to set up forums within the board for work groups, (by invitations only) to work privately.

I understand I would be able to do this.

My question: Would the public users "see", or know that there are private forums they cannot access?

It all depends on how you set the Permissions for the Usergroups in that forum, you can can hide the Private Forums alltogether (they won't even know they exist) or you can show them but they won't be able to see the Threads or post in the Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 4|205
      It all depends on how you set the Permissions for the Usergroups in that forum, you can can hide the Private Forums alltogether (they won't even know they exist) or you can show them but they won't be able to see the Threads or post in the Forum.
      Thankyou - You have answered that question. I like the hidden option.

If I may???? I am by no means a maajor tech guy. In checking the sales demo area, it looks like this is a pretty easy setup and run type system. Is that, in your opinion, a fair assesment?

Comment

It most definitely is, although you may want to give yourself a little bit of time to get used to the entire system. The amount of options can be overwhelming at first, but luckily there are great Support Forums over here.

Comment

Originally posted by 4|205
          It most definitely is, although you may want to give yourself a little bit of time to get used to the entire system. The amount of options can be overwhelming at first, but luckily there are great Support Forums over here.
          TY 4

I will not keep you but do have one more question. I will then begin using the search function to answer my basic questions.

Yes, this site appears to be very active and has a long history.

I am assuming that my friend can place the board on his server, then, he can act as an administrator as I can from my own PC. The same would be true of moderators as well. I did read that I could have an unlimited set of mods, is that true of Admins as well?

Comment

Yes, you may add as many Administrators as you would like.

Comment

TY Aros - I appreciate your service and advice. I am a member of a couple of boards that use VBulletin and I believe it will meet my needs.

Comment

Well, I do try not to lie. But at times I must make acceptions. I did say that I would not need to continue this thread, as I would perform searches. I do have another question, did search and still need an answer. Rather than starting another topic, I shall continue here.

Once I purchase, I will more than likely have a couple of other people working with me. Will more than one person be able to access your support system using my one license? Would they simply sign in using my access codes?

Comment

You can add up to 3 additional email addresses for people to get support on these forums through your license.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    You can add up to 3 additional email addresses for people to get support on these forums through your license.
                    TY Steve

I will have a rather small forum. I doubt it would gro beyond 300 users. Would I be able to back it up to my local PC with oh....80GB of hard drive space or something like that?

Comment

There are very few huge databased forums when compared to the small ones. The last one i delt with was 2.5GB, but it also had over a million posts.

Primarly most databases range from 3-50MB So yes, you should be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                        There are very few huge databased forums when compared to the small ones. The last one i delt with was 2.5GB, but it also had over a million posts.

Primarly most databases range from 3-50MB So yes, you should be able to.
                        TY for the response Zach - Yes, I did find in reading some info that I would be able to backup to my own PC. I would only hope to have a million posts some day. Also, I do not think there will be a huge amount of graphics invelved either.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X