Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Q's before buying.

Hi,

I currently run a phpBB forum. I'd like to go with vBulletin, but I have some mods that I absolutely need on vBulletin before I can commit.

1. I know that vBulletin can add additional registration fields. However, I have a field currently added in phpBB that is an absolute necessity for me. I have a "real name" field that is required during registration and subsequently displayed on all threads and etc., instead of the user name. User name is still used for logging in. Can I have a version of vBulletin like this? (this can be implemented with an option to enable this, with near future releases?)

2. While I know that it isn't possible to convert phpBB over to vBulletin completely without custom coding, how is the current scripts for conversion working? Is it going to be a lot of pain to do this?

I am not well-versed in PHP coding. I have applied hacks to phpBB and changed a few sql statements here and there to make things work. So, I know a bit, but not much.

Thank you.

Real name field can be added very easily through the admin panel without any third party mod. Simply follow instruction found here in the manual and you can add them.

You can convert most majority of phpBB to vBulletin without needing to have vast knowledge about PHP. You just need to know how to change a vew variables and use the impex as per described here and you can covert your phpBB to vBulletin no problem.

Cheers
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Alfarin
      Real name field can be added very easily through the admin panel without any third party mod. Simply follow instruction found here in the manual and you can add them.

You can convert most majority of phpBB to vBulletin without needing to have vast knowledge about PHP. You just need to know how to change a vew variables and use the impex as per described here and you can covert your phpBB to vBulletin no problem.

Cheers
      Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't explain clearly.

For the custom profile fields, yes, I know you can do what you said. However, I need to have it shown EVERYWHERE in place of the username that is usually shown EVERYWHERE on the board. I believe the feature that you currently are referring to is only shown in the user profile pages, not everywhere else. (Correct me if I am wrong)

So the question still remains, can this be done or incorporated as a future release?

As for the second question, I don't know enough about impex to comment back. I'll take your word for it. It seems that the "usergroup" import is still in development.

Thanks again. Please comment on my replies.

Comment

Hi there;
        Do you want the user to login using their full name or their username? If you only want their full name to appear everywhere in place of the username, but login using their username, I think you can achieve it using mostly only template modifications. As to how to achieve it exactly, I'd have to look into the custom profile fields and templating information in the members support forums to see if anyone have posted anything on those.

As for the ImpEx, I have never imported from phpBB, so I can't honestly answer any more than what the manual have outlined.

Perhaps a vb team member can answer the above better than me

Cheers.
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I want the users to log in with their username, but have their real name displayed everywhere where username used to be displayed.

Yes, modifying the templates of phpBB was part of the things that I did to achieve that in phpBB. However, I had to also modify SQL statements since the query for real name on the table wasn't specified in each query statement. I had to either add or modify the SQL statements to get the real name for the scripts to process and display them on the modified templates. I was just thinking that if this process can be written as part of the vBulletin scripts since variables are used for the displays anyway. Just have the user pick which profile items (the custom ones) that they want displayed. This can be a lot easier than applying a hack by an end user since the programmers knows where to look for and handle the variables.

You see, this will make vBulletin even more versatile! Being a commercial product, this should make vBulletin an even more desirable product for closed forums (that is what I am running) where members do want to see each other's names without going to the user profile everytime.

Yes, a vb team member's comment will be much appreciated.

Comment

Any comments from the higher tier support guys?

Thanks.

Comment

If you want real names to appear, you will need to modify the templates to show the real name. It is indeed possible
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Be aware that using the profile field instead of the username everywhere is mostly template edits, but will also need code modification, for example for private messages.
                Best Regards
                Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Why not just ask your users to use their real name as a username?

Comment

Using real names to register has been done before, and the users hated it.

Thanks for the reply on the other subjects.

Will someone be able to help me to do the modification after I purchase?

This software is indeed quite complete for my needs, just this one thing.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108785
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ah, I understand now.

So basically I can apply this to every template that I need to change, right?

During an upgrade, this would be wiped out, and I have have redo it, correct?

Thank you.

Comment

Not quite. You would just create a custom profile field for the user's real name, then add that filed to the postbit and postbit_lgacy templates. Customized templates are not overwritten when you upgrade.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I guess I'll have to play with it more after I get it.

My intention is to show real name in pretty much all pages (only a few exceptions).

I hope that you will give me a hand when I have questions.

Comment

We'll all try to lend a hand when we can That includes Jelsoft staff, and vBulletin owners
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X