Go easy on me!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go easy on me!!

Hi guys, I'm kinda hoping you can help me get started on my road to setting up a forum.

I would like to set one up but I'm really not sure what exactly is needed to get it up and running....from reading about on the forum I need to know PHP and MySQL but from the same posts people seem to be using various additional apps......I'm not sure if these are things needed by vBulletin or just needed because different people need the forum to do different things.

I know everything is in this forum somewhere along the lines, but I'm getting to the point where I'm just not sure what is needed to know and what is not needed!!

I haven't purchased anything (yet) because of this but it would really be appreciated if someone could advise what is needed and I can then check up on it from there.

Many Thanks

Hello,
    Having read your post a couple of times in a row, I still can't quite figure your question... But anyway I'll try to help.

1) You definitely do not need to know either PHP or MySQL, or any other programming language. All that is required from you is just a basic knowledge of uploading/setting the 'permissions via a simple FTP client (like the free FileZilla - look it up on Google). With this you will have no problems installing vBulletin. And if you do, the greatest support ever is always there to help, or you can ask your friend to help. So don't you worry

2) Your server, however, is bound to have PHP 4.0.6 and
    MySQL 3.23.33 installed as a minumum (but that will actually be enough).
    Just consult your hosting provider. But I am sure if it's a decent company, they'll have it.

This is what is required from you (basically nothing) and your server (PHP and MySQL). Not much, huh?

As for maintaining vBulletin, the interface is pretty straightforward, but you can always ask here, or read the manual http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/

To sum it up, you shouldn't have ANY problems either installing or maintaining vBulletin. That's how great software is made.

Comment

If you haven't check out the admindemo

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

Also note that php 4.1.0 will be the new mininum very soon

Comment

I think that you (Jelsoft) should not worry about the PHP version, and use the one that will be most helpful, because ALL the hosts either don't have PHP at all, or have the latest (version 4, I mean). If not, then it's an awful host...

Comment

Most hosts should have updated to PHP 4.3.10 with the recent PHP flaws discovered.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X