Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think to buy Vbulletin, have a questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edogs
    Answers were good and quick. You really do all you can! No problem with it:-)
    It's just current vbulletin policy, there even you, support manager doesn't know if vbulletin fast or not and etc:-)
    Hmmm...I didn't say anything about vB not being fast. My response was:

2. Sorry, I don't have information regarding competitive software performance. I'll let customers who have used these systems provide a comparison for you.
    Frankly I think most people would be more likely to want to hear from people who have run these different BB systems for their first-hand knowledge and experience.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

But the official allowence for honest peoples to test and see possible advantages of vbulletin would allow good guys to buy vbulletin if they have doubts.
      That's not a bad idea, if we had a way of pre-determining who was honest and who wasn't. One option the developers are looking at is providing a limited-time compiled version of vB for testing. This would require certain software to be installed on the customer servers though, so the solution is far from ideal at this point. Nonetheless it is being considered for the future.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        That's not a bad idea, if we had a way of pre-determining who was honest and who wasn't.
        It's easy.
        Honest peoples ask you for trial with restrictions version to test.
        Unhonest peoples will not bother you and will find hacked version without any restriction in google in 15 seconds instead asking you about trial version with restrictions:-)

Also, we think you heard about Zend coder. We are programmers and recently bought it just for 300$, specially for purposes to let peoples to test our software before buy without any risk for us. We don't think that this is very expensive for bringing our customers more comfort.

Hmmm...I didn't say anything about vB not being fast. My response was:
        Frankly I think most people would be more likely to want to hear from people who have run these different BB systems for their first-hand knowledge and experience.
        Hmmm... We didn't say that you told that vB is not being fast.
        We told that you don't know if vbulletin fast or not .
        Which sounds for us exactly as I don't have information regarding competitive software performance.
        Most peoples probably want to hear opinion of users, but we would prefer facts from official support.

Comment

Yes, I believe vB is very fast. Sorry but I didn't notice that question as part of #2 in your original post.

2) We had experienced very high server load using phpbb. Too much mysql queries, too many code and etc. As far as your company doesn't allow to test you forum. Please, reply in very direct way - are vbulletin creates less load to mysql and to server itself in comprassion to phpbb, phorum, ikonboard, invision powerboard ? We don't need comprassion with other forums, since now we are near the choice between these forums board.
          Also for Zend Coder to work, it needs to be installed on the customer's machine. Thats what I meant when I said it is less than ideal. Nonetheless it is an option the Developers are considering. Personally I think it's a good idea and hope we do it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

We have a fairly large board about 5000 users and 150k posts, this is from teh admin cp:
            Server Load Averages 0.23 0.33 0.31 | 259 Users Online
            so i don't know how that compares to what you have now, but i'd say it runs quite smoothly.
            Some of my Mods:
            Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
            Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
            Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
            Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

Yes, I believe vB is very fast.
              Believe but don't know:-)
              Ok, no matters, we'll test it ourselves soon and will see that happend.
              At least here is good support in spite of phpbb and phorum:-)

The couple of question more
              1) Then we got notification to e-mail in this topic we always go to first page of this topic, can this be tuned to redirect to latest posts?
              2) How realized mail function about notification abount new e-mails. Regular mail() from php? Or it's possible to use sendmail as option? And the same question about mailing big number of users.

Comment

I am absolutely positive that vB is faster and better overall than any BB system with equal features. Obvously it's possible to increase speed by removing features.

1) Then we got notification to e-mail in this topic we always go to first page of this topic, can this be tuned to redirect to latest posts?
                Really? My email notifications go to the newest post since my last login. What's one of the URLs you got?
                2) How realized mail function about notification abount new e-mails. Regular mail() from php? Or it's possible to use sendmail as option? And the same question about mailing big number of users.
                At this time vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.

The Developers are working on adding direct SMTP support to the next major version release.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

My email notifications go to the newest post since my last login. What's one of the URLs you got?
                  Standart URL for newposts. Last two notification leads us to 2nd page, hm, probably just cashing from our side.

At this time vB uses PHP's mail() function for all its email and uses the SMTP server specified in php.ini. If PHP and the mail server are configured correctly then email will work.
                  Is this function moved to standalone function or each time directly inside the code?
                  We mean, if we'll want to change the way of sending e-mails, will we have to change each and every place, or just one function?

Comment

I'm not one of the programmers but I believe this function can be changed in functions.php alone.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

mail() is a php function, not a vb one: http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php

however it should be possible to change the message text somewhere... never tried this though
                      Some of my Mods:
                      Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                      Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
                      Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
                      Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

vBulletin uses a separate function to send mail which includes the mail() function inside of it, so there's only one place to hack, in includes/functions.php.
                        MTG Salvation.com | Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Cow
                          vBulletin uses a separate function to send mail which includes the mail() function inside of it, so there's only one place to hack, in includes/functions.php.
                          Thank you! It's great.

Sorry, but more questions.
                          1) Is there any sense from point of view of security to pay for removing visible copyright note? We mean hackers often search software by copyright notes.
                          2) Can we pay _later_ for removing copyright note? We mean for example buy forum now, and buy right to remove copyright month after?
                          3) Again questions related with security and updates. As we understand for 160$ we will get 1 year of support with updates and patches. So here is two questions
                          a) Let's guess that 1 year are gone and major security bug were found in vbulletin. We will have to pay another money to get it fixed?
                          b) We can get any updates within with year, or we can get any updates which released within this year?

Comment

1 - The choice to pay to remove the footer copyright is yours. You can remove the version number from the copyright though.

2 - Yes, you can purchase this whenever.

3 - Yes, you get 12 months download access to the latest version
                            a - If a security is patched the file will be downloadable from the announcement made.
                            b - No, when you login to the members area > download area > you will only see the latest stable release listed.

Comment

Actually, it requires two file modifications to enable SMTP; but after enabling it myself, it wasn't really that hard at all. Follow a set of instructions and viola... it does all the rest of the work for you

1) copyright notice can be reduced to the bare minimum of " vBulletin; Copyright ©2000 - {2}, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd." from the original string. This will allow you to not expose your current version and thus divert any potential script kiddies to attack your server. True hackers will never be bothered with a forum. Additionally, virii and script kiddies usually use another method of searching (do a little bit of research for the sanity worm's code and you'll see )

2) You can pay at anytime to remove the copyright notice; however, you cannot remove the copyright without paying. This means, yes, you can pay the forum today, run the forum with the copyright notice for a few years, and pay for the copyright removal to remove it then. You cannot, however, pay for the forum today, run the forum without the copyright notice, and pay for the removal a few months down the road.

3a) If it is still within the same major version, then you will not have to pay to get a 'temporary solution' placed in. I will further explain on this....
                              3b) If your license is qualified for updates for the year of (for randomness sake) March 8th 2004, to March 8th 2005, you will qualify for ALL updates released during that time. However, after March 8th 2005, you will no longer be able to download anything from Jelsoft's member area.

Further on updates; as we've seen on the recent 3.0.3 to 3.0.5 transisition which occured in a matter of week or two... If I do not currently have a license with upgrade / support option available (IE: if my license expired on December 8th, 2004), I will not be able to download to 3.0.5 with my 3.0.3 installation. HOWEVER, I can download the init.php provided in the announcement thread which simply requires me to have a valid license to download. I can apply that to patch up my 3.0.3 and continue running 3.0.3 without any major concern. If I want to upgrade to 3.0.5, I will have to pay $30 to get an additional year worth of download.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers.
                              Best Regards,
                              Andy Huang

Comment

Hey, comrade, here's a question for you.

Yourself, being so eager and angry about Steve not knowing if vB is fast or not, what do you want to hear from him?

"Sure, vB is the coolest, mega-supha forums script with lightning-fast speed, so that everything works within a blink of an eye!" ?

Believe me, it is the easiest option here, and Steve could have told you that right away. But he is an honest person trying to give you HONEST support. Hence he gave you an honest answer about not knowing if it will outrun the competetors, because he had never used another forum software (maybe he did, but let's assume the contrary).

I am sure that the developers did their very best to ensure that vB is the fastest and the best software in the entire world, but nobody can be sure.

Being a PHP programmer, I can tell you that your hypothetic (cool word ) 'speed' is something very subtle, and it depends on a hell lot of factors, i.e. the hosting, the server, the usage etc.

So NOBODY in the world can tell you if 'vB is fast or not', because there is no answer.

But I can assure you that it is fast (speaking your language), and it's just the best

Regards,
                                Zodiak

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X