Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing a license to host a temporary test forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a license to host a temporary test forum?

I want to do the right thing.
    I have one license.
    I would like to install my copy of vBulletin on another website in order to configure it in such a way to convince members of our organization of its possibilities. I do not want to run a test board on my present server because I am fearful that I will make a mistake and trash my board. I don't think I will have enough room anyway. Once vB is approved I would purchase another license. It would not be made public until a license is purchase. Is that possible?
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required.
    From: http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

... however... you are allowed to install one development copy per license for you to amend, work with and run tests on - provided that this is not publicly accessible and that it has password protection on its location. It also cannot be used as a working solution or 'demo'.

If you want to show your users what can be achieved, then you can set up hidden forums/categories on your purchased/publicly available installation and have them access to those areas.

Incidentally, what 'additional features' do you wish to show other users...?
      John

Comment

So simply put, the answer is no.
        The forum would be under a different domain.
        I guess I'll do a leased license then upgrade as necessary.
        I didn't say additional features.
        What I wanted to demonstrate is the ability to hide forums, additional profile fields and maybe a couple hacks.

I sure wish there was a demo version.
        ...steven

Comment

Well, if you want a demo then go here: http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php.

Not sure if that's what you wanted or not.

Comment

I went ahead and purchased another license.
            Thanks.
            ...steven

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti
              I went ahead and purchased another license.
              Thanks.
              That is really kind, thank you for your purchase - and for letting us know. Though I must say we have a admin demo you can show to them, and we allow 1 test setup aside your live forum. (as long as it is temporary and private).

If you purchased a leased license please note that you can upgrade to a owned license for $85 within the first 30 days after purchase. After the first 30 days the upgrade to owned costs $160.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan
                ... however... you are allowed to install one development copy per license for you to amend, work with and run tests on - provided that this is not publicly accessible and that it has password protection on its location. It also cannot be used as a working solution or 'demo'.

So this means I can install a second instance of my software on a second domain (I have plenty and my own server) for development purposes? I just need to test some custom script integration.
                Tony
                http://www.allBowling.com
                If bowling websites were a bowl a mixed nuts, this site is the cashews!

Comment

As long as you pass protect the forum, then its fine for you to use it for development

Comment

I dont think thats correct though, IIRC, the development forum must reside on the same server as the one currently running vBulletin & must be labelled testboard or something, read the License Agreement info and you will see..again thats IIRC

Comment

vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased.

Means i cant run 2 forum on my websites
                      if not is there any way 2 use 2 or more languages 4 my websites
                      & whats the solution?

Comment

If you want to run two separate boards, this will require two licenses.

Each license is good for one installation of vBulletin, i.e., one set of vB files on one domain with one set of vB database tables. As an example, our support forums are all under one license:
                        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

As per the license agreement:

"vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited."

You can view the license agreement here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanx Steve Machol

but is there any way 2 use 2 or more languages 4 my forum in the same time

regards

Comment

Yes you can install multiple language packs on your forums. Please note, the Language Management System only covers the board text and not individual posts. The posts themselves will be displayed in the original language they were written in.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanx again Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X