Question about translation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about translation.

I am thinking of going to vB and leave phpBB because the translation on it is giving me some problems.

The problem is that I am using an external source to do the translation, and when usiers are navigating the forum this way, they have problems logging in and posting. They can still log in and post, but it's rather random, they either get an error or they can post normaly after they have refreshed several times.

I did a few searches on this site and I understand that the reason that vB doesn't let users register, log in or post at all while using the translator is because the server where the translator program is at does not have a cookie nor it can get a cookie from my server.

So, all this background leads to the following question;

If I put vB and a translation program on my server, will vB be able to get cookies from it? Would it allow users to navigate the site while in translation mode? What type of translator is it that I need and where do I get one?

I know that, from searching in this site, issues about translators get little is any attention and even less resolution, but I hope someone can at least point me in the right direction. Thank you for your time

-Luis

From your post I understand that you are already using vBulletin as forum software. But you still require to buy the license?

Comment

With vBulletin 3.0 you can translate into many different languages using our Language Manager in the admin control panel. This allows you to translate the vBulletin language into your own language or several languages, as well as being able to import language packs created others. Your users can then select the language they prefer to view the board in.

We do have a Languages & Phrases forum where you can find packs donated by our customers and also receive help for creating your own:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87

Also, here's the forum containing downloads of the current Language Packs made available by our customers:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Please note, the Language Management System only covers the board text and not individual posts. The posts themselves will be displayed in the original language they were written in.

Comment

Thank you Floris. I do not as of yet have a liscense because I need a bb that will work with a translation program. Although I think it's great that the vB text can now be translated, it is not the content I need translated. I need the user content to be translated, their thread titles and posts. I understand that there are some translators that will do this, but the fact that they have to get a cookie from the server from the outside will prevent users from registering, logging in and posting with vB since it is more secure than phpBB. I only asume that the language packs are not translation but rather ways for vB to print non-English characters, please correct me if I'm wrong on this. In the end, I want to make sure that vB will be able to use a translator program without keeping the translator hosted from my server from registering, logging in or posting for anyone using it before I buy it. Can vB get cookies from a translator program hosted in the same server? What translation program does it have to be? Does it work better with some and not well with others?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Luis

Comment

I do not know the third party software, and we don't support it either. There is no official API or other integration tool from Jelsoft for third party software to make integration easier. Sorry.

Comment

Sorry, but I just can't stop myself...
            For a slayer of egos, you sure have a lot of egos under your belt to post here on the official forums for something you obtained through a pirated source...

In all cases, I'd urge you get a licnese and ask for such hack on vb.org, the official hacking community for vb. I've seen many wonderful hacks on there and I'm sure them vb hackers will be more than glad to help you make one for your needs

Cheers.
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Alfarin
              Sorry, but I just can't stop myself...
              For a slayer of egos, you sure have a lot of egos under your belt to post here on the official forums for something you obtained through a pirated source...

In all cases, I'd urge you get a licnese and ask for such hack on vb.org, the official hacking community for vb. I've seen many wonderful hacks on there and I'm sure them vb hackers will be more than glad to help you make one for your needs

Cheers.
              I don't understand what you mean as he asked this in a pre-sales forum and doesn't give the impression he actually has a vBulletin running?

Comment

I do not have any vB forums, only a phpbb forum. All I wanted to know is if vB can get cookies from a translator hosted in the same server and it seems that no one really knows, so I am not going to spend money on a non-refundable experiment. Thank you for your time.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your decisision, good luck with your community and you works.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X