Pre-Sales Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Sales Questions

I'm working on a list of questions for a handful of hosting providers. But I have a few questions first.

Do I need a unique IP address? Any advantages to having one? Is this possible if I'm on a shared server?
    Do I need a cpanel? Is that the same thing as shell access?
    What about SSH? Is that the same thing as cpanel?
    vBulletin hooks to e-mail. Do I need unlimited e-mail accounts from the host? Is it a problem if I only get 50 POP
    accts?
    Do I need PERL? SSL?

Thanks very much.

AZ_Astro

Nope, there might be but nothing comes to my mind, yes if the host allows it.
    No, all "cpanel" is, is a user level control panel software program that lets you manage your website from the web. there are other programs like ensim and plesk and hsphere, personaly I like cpanel from both a user and adminstrator standpoint. Shell access, is basicly direct access to the servers console. It would be like logging into someones pc on windows and accessing the dos prompt, it is not the same as cpanel. You should get SSH if at all possible.
    vBulletin just sends email though php, you dont need to give it an account.
    Perl, no but most hosts havee this anyway, SSL, only if you ever play to have any https p[ages.

Are there any other questions I can help with?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Nope, there might be but nothing comes to my mind, yes if the host allows it.
      No, all "cpanel" is, is a user level control panel software program that lets you manage your website from the web. there are other programs like ensim and plesk and hsphere, personaly I like cpanel from both a user and adminstrator standpoint. Shell access, is basicly direct access to the servers console. It would be like logging into someones pc on windows and accessing the dos prompt, it is not the same as cpanel. You should get SSH if at all possible.
      vBulletin just sends email though php, you dont need to give it an account.
      Perl, no but most hosts havee this anyway, SSL, only if you ever play to have any https p[ages.

Are there any other questions I can help with?
      Thanks for the answers, sir. I'm getting close to figuring this out and if everything works out perhaps I'll be up and running in a few weeks! I'm putting a list of questions together for hosting services which I'm going to post for comments in a bit.

I think I've got the idea of cpanel vs shell access. I've used a cpanel interface before (didn't get in too deep) but I don't know unix commands so I think I'll shy away from shell access/command line interface.

Comment

The only thing that needs ssh is the mysqldump tool, and it is very simple to run the command, we have documentation on it, And when I get home I can post a very detailed guide on how to use the SSH tool

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          The only thing that needs ssh is the mysqldump tool, and it is very simple to run the command, we have documentation on it, And when I get home I can post a very detailed guide on how to use the SSH tool
          No need to post the guide at this point, thanks. I'm looking into SSH right now but thanks for the guidance on what it is used for (mysqldump).

Definition: SSH (Secure SHell) is a protocol for remotely logging into a machine via a shell. It is very similar in functionality to telnet, however unlike telnet, all data between the client and server is encrypted.

Ah - I see.

Is Telnet considered "shell" access, then?

Comment

Yes but very very rarely will you see telnet access, SSH provides Secureity, where telnet does not

Comment

Telnet is shell access as well, but like you posted, SSH is encrypted.

Even if you never use SSH, it's something you'll want to look for, because without it backing up large mysql databases can be horrible.
              You'll want to regularily backup your database anyway, in case something happens, and if you ever need to switch your host, you'll want to backup with SSH as well.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Great info. Thanks Colin.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ_Astro
                  I'm working on a list of questions for a handful of hosting providers. But I have a few questions first.

Do I need a unique IP address? Any advantages to having one? Is this possible if I'm on a shared server?
                  not needed mosh shared hosting allows this the one advantage is you visitors wont know what host your are on.

Do I need a cpanel? Is that the same thing as shell access?
                  it halps to have a controll panel and no its not the same as SSH some FTP programs like flash FXP have SSH options built in otherwise you need a ftp program like wsftp and ssh programs like putty

vBulletin hooks to e-mail. Do I need unlimited e-mail accounts from the host? Is it a problem if I only get 50 POP
                  accts?
                  you only need 1 email account for your forums and if you make the forums a subdomain IE: YourBoard.YourDomain.com .net or .org ETC.... your host might have a default email address set up for that subdomain.

Do I need PERL? SSL?
                  i dont think so.

[QUOTE=AZ_Astro]Thanks very much.

AZ_Astro[QUOTE]

your welcome

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X