Switching from IPB 2.0.3 to vB 3.0.3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching from IPB 2.0.3 to vB 3.0.3?

Hi there. Let me say before I go any further that I am not interested in starting a software vs. software debate. I am interested solely in figuring out whether it would make sense to switch from Invision Power Board 2.0.3 to vBulletin. Most of the forum communities I frequent use vBulletin and I have always been impressed with the software. I have recently soured on IPB because of its nightmarishly complex skinning -- it is virtually impossible to customize the skin without spending hours or days doing code-level edits to the templates so that they do not affect the board wrappers.

I have two questions. First of all, is there a converter available to convert the latest IPB 2.0.3 database to vBulletin? And second, does vBulletin make it easy on us poor Sysops who don't like wasting valuable time wading through reams of template bits trying to customize the boards to our satisfaction?

I look forward to your replies.

In this thread:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102412
    you will find the status of the impex system.
    It has an IPB 2.x import script.

vBulletin style manager is quite easy to use and handles xhtml and css perfectly fine. But yes, due to the way dynamic content is made it does require you to take into account some variables or use of phrases.

An example. In the template you might find this code:

<div class="normalfont">Hello $username</div>

which will be using a CSS class for a global normal font, you can always change this to your own wishes, make your own custom class or replace the <div> with whatever you require. It will display on the screen : Hello John : if the user john is logged in. Obviously, if you want to keep the page saying john to john and steve to steve, you should keep using $username.

I invite you to request an admin demo and try out a full vb installation as admin for 24 hours: http://www.vBulletin.com/admindemo

Comment

I liked it so much, I bought the product!

Color me impressed. I bought vB 3.0.3 yesterday and in two hours not only had my old forums imported into the new database but had the look-and-feel (the wrappers, anyway) of the old forums put in place!

Now I have to figure out how to recoup that money I wasted on IPB 2...

Comment

Originally posted by Zyllyx
        Now I have to figure out how to recoup that money I wasted on IPB 2...
        Adsense and vBulletin's Subscription system.

Use the ideas in the Quick Tips and Customizations forum to place adsense in your forums. Then offer your users a paid yearly subscription to remove the ads from the screen at a reasonable price.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X