Conversion to VB from YaaB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion to VB from YaaB

I have an on-going discussion forum using YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.2. It has replaced a much older forum that was running Matt's WWW board (how's that for a old chestnut?)

The YaBB board is not as well crafted nor as search friendly as VB appears to be.
    • Can I convert my postings and member registrations from the YaBB setup? This only has a few score of posts and members at this point.
    • Probably no chance that the old HTML messages from the WWW board could be converted is there? (over 7k messages there).
    • Can the layout and management of VB be done by a non-programer. I can do the basic HTML work that laid out my site and the backgrounds for the YaBB board. Is a larger skill set needed with VB?
    • Google access for linkage is of first concern. Is there any issues there I should understand?
    Thanks for your help,

John Raabe
    www.countryplans.com

Yes you can import your data from YaBB Gold. There is an importer made available for you to download. As for the designs and layouts, it is relatively intuitive once you figure out what's going inside. All designs will need to be ported over.

As for google access, I might be wrong but I am assuming that you are infering to the ability for google to spider. Yes it does a much better job spidering. Perhaps after you import you can submit it to the google database so it will send bots during its next run.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Yes, thanks for your reply. I do want to know that Google can spider and log the messages on the forum (my main reason to switch). I did a search on a few message titles from some other VB boards and Google found and linked them.

Do you have any idea if the straight HTML messages of the earlier wwwboard forum (click here for my archive of these messages) have a converter? I can of course copy and paste individual messages into the new forum.

Comment

These are the status of the latest importers that you might need.

YaBB - Gold (1.3.1)
        wBB (2) (i think this is wwwboard)
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
          wBB (2) (i think this is wwwboard)
          No that is Woltlab Burning Board 2.

there is currently no wwwthreads => vb3 importer. BUT, there is a wwwthreads => vb2 converter.

As quoted from the sales FAQ:

Infopop UBBThreads 5.4 (formerly WWWThreads)
          You could first import the wwwthreads forum into vb2 and then upgrade the vb2 board to vb3.

but to be sure you need to get in contact with Jerry, since he creates the importers. you can send him a private message: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/membe...astposter&f=92
          Last edited by _| () R | Z; Fri 10 Dec '04, 3:18pm.
          Originally Posted by Zachery
          John originally presented vBulletin to Infopop, they didn't take it, so he took it and sold it

Originally Posted by Martin
          We had to do a lot of arm twisting to get him to do it, though. I would imagine he still hates us.

Comment

There is no import script for Matt Wright's ancient WWWBoard script at this time. Jerry may be able to put one together though.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X