Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer

Ok I am trying to find this out. If I buy vB do I have to keep my computer on all the time? Please help me! Im on a computer using Windows XP if that matters. Also I want to know if I put it on to my PC does the machine become a web server?
    Last edited by scm; Thu 9 Dec '04, 5:16pm.

You will likely want to find a host (see the hosting forum here for suggestions) for your site/forums.

Its possible to run a server from home (alot of us do it for testing stuff out) but
    1. you will in this case need to leave your pc on 24/7
    2. need broadband with a really high upload bandwidth which usually only comes on business packages.
    3. Alot of ISP's will not let you run a server from home.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
      You will likely want to find a host (see the hosting forum here for suggestions) for your site/forums.

Its possible to run a server from home (alot of us do it for testing stuff out) but

3. Alot of ISP's will not let you run a server from home.
      this is true but if it dont look like a server they really cant tell.

but you will need PHP and Mysql on your pc if you have a second hard drive it would be best to use that just for your forums

but really useing a webhost is better as it will be more secure than your home pc and less trouble in the long (and short) run.

Comment

Originally posted by scm
        Ok I am trying to find this out. If I buy vB do I have to keep my computer on all the time? Please help me! Im on a computer using Windows XP if that matters. Also I want to know if I put it on to my PC does the machine become a web server?
        Save yourself a LOT of time and effort by signing up with a good php/mysql host. It will save you *endless* worries. Believe me, I have tried it.
        Tormod Guldvog
        Hypography - Science for everyone // Science Forums

Comment

For a webhost, may i suggest LiquidExploit.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X