Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What HW/SW Configuration Are You Using to Host vBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What HW/SW Configuration Are You Using to Host vBulletin?

I am a software engineer who has moved into teaching, and I am thinking about starting up a bulletin board for my school as a community chat area.

But before I get into this, I'd like to hear what others are using to host the software.

Are most of you using windows or Linux?

What other packages are you running on the server? I understand that you need something like:

Red Hat Linux
    MySQL
    PHP script
    Apache web server

... before you install vBulletin.

Very interested to hear what people are running and your experience with the hardware and the vBulletin package. I am concerned about time for administration (but am willing to do it of course).

Thanks.
    Last edited by AZ_Astro; Mon 22 Nov '04, 12:45pm.

You need a webserver that can run php, and mysql

Just about anything runs apache and mysql.

I've got an inhouse windows 2003 machine that runs Apache 2.0.50 php 5.0.2 and mysql 4.1.7, i could also run IIS if i happened to like the software

Alot of customers are on linux hosts however, My webserver runs on red hat linux enterprise 3 with apache 1.3.x mysql 4.0.20 and php 4.3.9

You need a webhost that meets the mininum requirments or a server that will run the basics

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      You need a webserver that can run php, and mysql

Just about anything runs apache and mysql.

I've got an inhouse windows 2003 machine that runs Apache 2.0.50 php 5.0.2 and mysql 4.1.7, i could also run IIS if i happened to like the software

Alot of customers are on linux hosts however, My webserver runs on red hat linux enterprise 3 with apache 1.3.x mysql 4.0.20 and php 4.3.9

You need a webhost that meets the mininum requirments or a server that will run the basics
      I've used IIS and that's one reason why I'm leaning towards Linux. How does the performance match up between Windows and Linux/Unix?

I am a registered user of RCGroups, which is a very active community (50,000 pretty active users) of Radio Control enthusiasts. I want to build a community that may rival that in size, and I'd like to start off with hw/sw that would allow me scale all the way up to that if possible.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X