Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about importing/general move to vbulletin question before I buy

Hello,

As long as my questions are answered, and I have a clear plan to make this go as smoothly as possible I will be buying a vbulletin by the end of this week.

I have an invisionboard version 1.2, and I checked the importer thread (it will import).

I just want to know a few things:

a) Can I install my vbuletin in a subfolder i.e. not my .com (just to be safe before I get rid of invisionboard), and import everything from my invisionboard? And then..and only then can I switch the directory for vbulletin to my main page (the domain index)? Any issues I should expect doing this?

b) Installing vbulletin will in no way threaten my current MySQL right? I am afraid of losing the 80,000 topics I have.

c) Does the portal for vbulletin I see on some sites come with vbulletin? If not where can I find it?

THANKS!

1). You can install it to a directory of your liking, port invision board over and then move it to the main directory of your website. You would simply need to update the URL in the Admin CP to fit that of the new location.

2). I would install vBulletin to a new MySQL database personally. While vBulletin does not have the same table structure as Invision Board, better to be safe.

3). No, there is not a bundled portal with vBulletin, though check www.vbadvanced.com and www.vbulletin.org for such portal software.

Comment

I would also suggest you install to a new mysql database. If that's not possible you can still use a table prefix, so you shouldn't have any problems at all.
      Best Regards
      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Yes I would do it in seprate db's to, impex (import/export system) will not damage your ipb data while importing. It simply reads from the ipb database, transform's the data for vB, then drops the data into the vBulletin database.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
          Yes I would do it in seprate db's to, impex (import/export system) will not damage your ipb data while importing. It simply reads from the ipb database, transform's the data for vB, then drops the data into the vBulletin database.

Hmm..how can I do this if I do not run the server? My host is not too umm...communicative heh.

Comment

The script does all the conversion for you.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

A good idea would be to back up your database so if something should go wrong you can restore it.
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X