No announcement yet.

vB licenses - I too must ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually we do work with our customers. We have tens of thousands of customers and have to work to create a solution that is feature-rich, functional and expandable enough to fill of their needs. This includes customers who have family forums with 20-30 users and multi-national corporations with dozens of installations on multiple continents.

As you can consider, this creates a lot of demands. There are over 1,000 feature requests already for the next version of the software and our developers review each and everyone of them for possible inclusion. Some features will not make it into the software because we feel the demand isn't strong enough for them. Each inclusion is a compromise between what the customers want, resource usage and feasibility.

If you went to a car dealership and told them that you wanted a rocket engine installed, they would tell you that they couldn't install it and if you did so yourself then it would void the warranty. The concept is the same here. We have developed the community at vBulletin.org to try and reach a middle ground. It is a place where you can get aftermarket modifications in order to fit your specific needs. It does however void support because we cannot spend the time or money supporting third-party developments. If we did then we would easily have to triple our staff and our prices. Instead we have tried to reach a happy medium between distributing a solid, stable product and allowing people to modify it for their needs. Each third-party modification also provides our developers with future development ideas as well so it improves the project.

As a customer, we will listen to your ideas and suggestions to make the next vBulletin. That is how it works here. Unfortunately the software doesn't meet your demans at this time. This doesn't mean you can hold things ransom until they do. We would rather work together with our customers to improve the software to meet their needs.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
      Like Zachery mentioned....
      Yes I see your point. Do you by any chance see mine? If you do at all then well...

Lets use the car thingie. I can right now goto a Dupont Reg. And buy a car have it painted weels, tv's anything I want for a price. Resources or not.

Maybe it was in my error to ask.

Comment

Hello Wayne Luke. I could care less about next years features. I am talking about my company. What we want done. If you follow what "I" am asking. You will see what your saying is out of context.

You see your mixing service with warranties. I am asking for a service for this product to be customized to my specific liking. I dont care about future add on suggestions or hack sites.

What company would? I can see if I am getting a update yes. But we have not even goten the software yet and we dont see eye to eye.

Comment

OK, I might have missed your point

It sounds like you'd like an official customisation service. While I'm sure that would be a good idea, I'd like to mention one point:

Price

vBulletin is available at a cheap US$ 160 because so many people use it. The actual price of development/support is split up by all of them.
          A custom modification for one person, depending on the complexity, could easily cost 10 times the price of the software itself, simply because only one person has to pay for all the costs. I'm sure that would make a bad impression on a lot of people.

Additionally, that would be an entirely different sales branch, seeing as that would be a service, opposed to selling a product (vBulletin). That's an entirely differnet market and, in my opinion, a lot more complex.

fast moving thread here... can't wait to finish reading it tomorrow, but I'm off to bed now. good night everyone
          Best Regards
          Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Yes, you can get the features you wanted added to vBulletin by visiting vBulletin.org. There is a "Services Requested" Forum where you can pay the people who make modifications to vBulletin to do the work for you. There are over 500 add-ons to vBulletin already coded there with simple step by step installation instructions and some are simply drop-in plugins. In fact, I believe that every feature you requested is already available at vBulletin.org except #3 which is already a stock vBulletin feature and has been since its first release 4 years ago.

All you have to do is go to vBulletin.org and name your price.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by John Campbell
              Hello Wayne Luke. I could care less about next years features. I am talking about my company. What we want done. If you follow what "I" am asking. You will see what your saying is out of context.

You see your mixing service with warranties. I am asking for a service for this product to be customized to my specific liking. I dont care about future add on suggestions or hack sites.

What company would? I can see if I am getting a update yes. But we have not even goten the software yet and we dont see eye to eye.
              We don't customize the software. It is not a service we have ever offered. Instead we have opted to go the route we have which has worked well for the majority of our customers. Even if our developers did offer customization, those customizations would not be supported by the technical staff because we wouldn't have the resources to train them on custom products.

The services you want are available at vBulletin.org.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Ok. Thank you for the info I will pass this on.
                Again thank you and I am glad no one took my questions or responses personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                  A custom modification for one person, depending on the complexity, could easily cost 10 times the price of the software itself, simply because only one person has to pay for all the costs. I'm sure that would make a bad impression on a lot of people.
                  Actually to provide a customization service and make it worthwhile to the customer, we would have to charge close to $150.00/hour for each modification.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by John Campbell
                    Ok. Thank you for the info I will pass this on.
                    Again thank you and I am glad no one took my questions or responses personal.

they always give good support here. i have asked many questions and got prompt replies.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X