vB licenses - I too must ask.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB licenses - I too must ask.

I read a topic here and to be honest the question was not answered. I tried to contact the user but he seems to be banned. 99% of the responses were from vB staff it seems.

I am very interested in buying this software but this king user made some valid points.

I have purchased items from programmers that can make your work custom built.
    Almost all freelance programmers make everything from a module and work from there.

My question is. I would like to buy this software with these options built in.
    1. Bulk PM (for announcements) I would like THIS option thank you not a work around.
    2. The ability to auto removes a user who has not been online over 6 months.
    3. The ability to have a "member" become a member only after his email has been verified.
    4. Now that this "kinglifer" has mentioned it I would like a close account link.
    I would like this as stated not considered a hack and all this to be done automatically.
    I would like a proper answer. I am the customer. I am not asking for a grammar lesson or anything else.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to your vb.org site. And it seems it’s just a bunch of guys practicing on your software to make it better.

Mind you there seem to be some really talented people there. I do not wish this to be an option. I am not doing this for a hobby or fun. So then, there are my questions.

I would like a response promptly and I will make my purchase.
    I would love other NON vB staff to input on my questions with out them being ridiculed or flamed.

P.S. My name is John Campbell and I am not kinglifer so please do not ask me this in PM or here. Thank you.

Last edited by John Campbell; Thu 18th Nov '04, 6:25am.

Bulk Pm's and close account abilits are not builtin features at this time, and to add that functionality you would either need to hire a custom coder or do it yourself for either you could inquire over at vBulletin.org

In the future both options may or may not be added, most features and options are added on a demand to funcitionality base.

At this time you cannot buy vBulletin with bulk pm and close account funcitionality built in.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
      Bulk Pm's and close account abilits are not builtin features at this time, and to add that functionality you would either need to hire a custom coder or do it yourself for either you could inquire over at vBulletin.org

In the future both options may or may not be added, most features and options are added on a demand to funcitionality base.

At this time you cannot buy vBulletin with bulk pm and close account funcitionality built in.
      Thank you for your speedy response.

Ok. Can you have this installed for me and simple charge me for it. Thank you.
      I read that vBulletin.org is also owned by your company. So simply add what is needed and that should do it.

How much will this cost? Thank you.

Comment

We only provide vBulletin.org as a resource to users who wish to add or change the funcitionality of vBulletin software. We do not support hacking, once you modify the stock files you void support from us.

You could hire a third party person to add these hacks if they are avaible or code them for you by posting a service request at vBulletin.org.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          We only provide vBulletin.org as a resource to users who wish to add or change the funcitionality of vBulletin software. We do not support hacking, once you modify the stock files you void support from us.

You could hire a third party person to add these hacks if they are avaible or code them for you by posting a service request at vBulletin.org.
          I see.
          Thank you. I am at this time not intrested. Every customer is differnt.
          These options are not outragous.
          However if you do decide to offer services for your customers please contact me.

Comment

Thank you for your intrest in vBulletin, if there is anything else I can assit you with please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by John Campbell
              I see.
              Thank you. I am at this time not intrested. Every customer is differnt.
              These options are not outragous.
              However if you do decide to offer services for your customers please contact me.
              As an end user, I figured I would respond.
              I think as Zachary mentioned that most features are added based on user feedback, so the more people that feel a feature would be useful, the more likely it would be included. Personally, I wouldn't have the need for the Bulk PM, because if I had something that important that I would need to reach a broad range of people, I would probably just post an announcement on my site. However, I can see where you might just want to send something out to users of a particular usergroup, such as paid supporters, and not want to have to enter each name manually. Something like this would probably be VERY easy to do. There is something similar where you can email the users of a group, so I am sure some minor changes would be all it takes for the PMs. vBulletin.org is a good resources since it allow users to add only the mods that they want. To be honest if I had every feature that has been requested by the other owners, then it would be so bulky that it would probably be impossible to use! So it is good to be able to selectively enter information.

As far as the auto remove a user/close account link, I don't think this is a good idea. If a user were removed, then there would be a need to removed their posts, which in a forum, would basically create chaos. Many topics of discussion would not make sense because part of the topics would be missing. Basically what I do, is if a user wishes to no longer be a part of my forums, then I just have a usergroup set up which gives the user no permissions to do anything, and they are removed from getting any emails. This way if they ever decide to come back, then all I have to do is change their primary usergroup.

You can set permissions so that users can only have access once they have been approved through an email link.

Really, you will never find any forums software customized exactly to your needs unless you pay someone to write a program just for you. vBulletin is one of the best forum softwares that I have used, but I have had to make some mods to it do do what I want. I really see you doing this as well would be your best and cheapest option

Comment

while i understand most of your requests the one for users to remove their accounts would be asking for trouble and here are some reasons.

1) you have a user in colledge shareing a single PC. say one of 3 people shareing a doorm room wants to join your forums and for a while things go fine. one day down the road his or her posts start to change from on topic to spam then suddenley the account is closed. now imagine finding out it was one of the roomates who deleated a custamer account on your forums.

2) a hacker gets a unsers or few users login info deleating lots of accounts and you again think its them till they email asking for money back.

the features you want dont exist on IPB i know because i ran that software for a week before it got hacked and with vB running live for months i have had a few hack attempts but nothing sucessfull.

vB 3.x.x has a feature i just love. you can set up in the config file the ability to set yourself up as undeleatable user.

Comment

Ok "dynamite" some of your responses do not make sense to me so I will state what I am confused about.

• This is not an out of the box software. (Or there wouldn’t be a vb.org) You can modify it. So if this is common place and I as a representative for my company want a turn key solution why wouldn’t vbulletin do this for me? If what I am saying is not clear. There is no such thing as an out of the box software that has a hack site (co-owned) and promoted to use. Of course at the cost of your warranty.
                  • If a user wants his/her account closed they should. This is a very interesting issue. This software was intended to have thousands of users. So we want it automated. Also in some countries you have to have the option for a member to leave if they so choose too. (Noted by kinglifer) You are definitely making a good point for neatness. But I am talking about a legit company site forum.
                  • Your last point makes sense. However I will void my copy of the software. So what is the difference (I must ask) between a voided copy of vbulletin from hacks and a completely illegal version besides the loss of money and access to a hack site? No really. I have to show you where I am coming from.

Mike Anime:

Your points are nice and I thank you. But I am not going to baby-sit users. The same ideas you’re stating can happen using Yahoo. I love Yahoo launch so does my roommate… ect. No. That is not a valid reason to prohibit a user to auto remove themselves. You can auto join can you not? You have the option to moderate it. But in reverse there is no option.

Undeletable user I can see for Admin. No idea why a user would need this since this is a topic about users not admins.

Comment

So confused.

I just want a turn key solution since this is not a "out of the box" program. Like word or Photoshop. Even the plug in's for the software I just mentioned are that... Plug ins. "OEM"? I have to wonder.

vB does not have plug ins, more hacks that put a void on itself. I do get the impression this is a few guys that got together and made a cool product that has become very popular. But if you want real business you have to work with your customers.

Do you really belive I will (trust me I wont) sit down and search your hack site for parts and then place them in your software after I buy it. Void my software, and continue on with my day "tinkering" with it? No.

I am a customer armmed with a credit card. I want to buy something. And I am now told to do a whole mess of stuff to get it done. On my own time.

If your car, TV/Sat, Cell provider told you this you would demand to see a manager.

Who is the manager here?

Comment

All I'm going to answer to is this:
                      Originally posted by John Campbell
                      So what is the difference (I must ask) between a voided copy of vbulletin from hacks and a completely illegal version besides the loss of money and access to a hack site? No really. I have to show you where I am coming from.

There is a huge difference between the two. Modifying the code is permitted, but due to the fact that it's modified by you, support can't be given anymore. I hope that makes sense for everyone - otherwise Jelsoft staff would end up supporting the modifications.
                      Also one has got to mention that the majority of vBulletin users don't modify their software at all.
                      Running a software illegally is something completely different. You would be in fact breaking the law and could be prosecuted for that. Allthough not in the same league, it's just as much a crime as murder.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

My point was not the fact its illegal. I think you missed my point. Also the permited part is confusing. Once I buy anything I am permited to do anything I want.

I am talking about doing something for the customer.
                        Look. Look at this random site I picked. You can ask to have it customized.

I think you guys honestly have no idea what I am talking about.
                        Last edited by John Campbell; Thu 18th Nov '04, 1:42pm.

Comment

To be honest John, Jelsoft claims it voids warranty support, however I haven't noticed that when I've submitted troubleshoot tickets. My site is loaded with several hacks, and Jelsoft provided support for its own platform (stock wise only).

They don't provide support for custom third-party hacks though I installed.
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Like Zachery mentioned, features are added based on the functionality they add, as well as the impact they have on the speed and flexibility of the software.

If you bought a car 5 years ago, you usually wouldn't have had a cd player built in. Nowadays, due to the demand for it, a lot of cars have cd players by default. This is because there's a higher demand for that now. If Jelsoft sees that everyone wants a special feature, they'll do their best to implement it into the product.
                            Then again, if a cd player used as much space as say a large box, cars wouldn't have them built in either, simply because the space used wouldn't make it worth it.
                            Once again it's the same with Jelsoft. If a feature uses much too much resources, it won't be built in, or there'll be a workaround for it.
                            Best Regards
                            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

I get what you mean Josh and I understand that. My point well not even a point anymore my position is I am not a programmer. I am simply a person asked to buy software.

I did my research. I felt this was the best choice. (The company Jelsoft) But its a struggle to get service. What I am asking really is a service to be done.

How much money should I offer?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X