Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Authentication for login?

Hello,

I'm currently looking for a forum solution and am wondering if there is an option to allow users to be authenticated with the domain username/password. We're planning to use the forum on an Intranet, and users don't seem to like to login or having to remember multiple usernames/passwords, etc.

I have viewed the demo but didn't see the option to allow for domain authentication instead of the usual username/password setup.

Thank you

What do you mean by 'an option to allow users to be authenticated with the domain username/password'. That's exactly what every vB forum is like. People register with a username and password.

As for domain authentication, I'm not even sure what that is to tell you the truth. However I'm pretty sure it's not a feature in vB. How exactly would that function?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hello,

What I mean is that instead of requiring users to authenticate by requesting an account and using that username/password, they would come to a screen which pickups their NT(windows) authentication (their locally logged in account) and uses that to authenticate them to the forum?

The process would be that if they were new to the forum, they would come to a request account page, then when prompted, the code would pickup the nt_auth and place it in the registration page, then ask for details...First name, etc.

Then when they submit it would be approved for access to the forum, but tying their forum access to their logged in computer account.

That way if it were on an Intranet, there would be no need for them to login, or be prompted for a login, as the default on most browsers is that intranet sites use local username/password to attempt accessing password restricted intranet sites.

We currently are testing a forum which does do that, although there are many features which aren't implemented which vB has.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Comment

i have been on the internet for a long time and you have even lost me.

vB does have cookie support allowing users to login only once..

what i mean is they register like you did for here and as long as they dont clear out their password cookies they dont have to log in on each following visit. unless they hit the logout button on the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime
          i have been on the internet for a long time and you have even lost me.

vB does have cookie support allowing users to login only once..

what i mean is they register like you did for here and as long as they dont clear out their password cookies they dont have to log in on each following visit. unless they hit the logout button on the forums.
          He is talking about Windows Domain Authentication which works with the activie directory.

I am no coder, but I am not sure how it would be possible. Scott might be able to provide a better anwser but this is not in the software by default. Most users running vBulletin are on linux hosts.

Comment

Not only Windows authentication, but "standard" web authentication (via .htaccess). I can see the merit in this. If there is a solution, I would like to see it as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X