Big issues with phpBB thinking of vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big issues with phpBB thinking of vBulletin

I am currently suffering from major issues with phpBB and want to get an idea of whether things will be fixed by coming over to vbulletin.

First some info

Database size: 480 MB
    Posts per day:

This is a high traffic site and average 70 people on line at any one time. At about 3:30 to 5:00 PM the sites traffic increases as the kids come home from school, we guess. At this point the site crashes with phpBB errrors where by the system can not connect to the database.

I have tried in vain to get a response on this from phpBB and have tried everything within my php and SQL skills to resolve this. I have tweaked a lot of code and still the same result.

I am now starting to believe that phpBB may in fact not be the right solution for us anymore.

So vBulleting seems like the obvious and logical choice. Although I dont want to find out that it comes with its own set of problems and that the amount of traffic the site receives coupled with the database size, is going to result in the same issue.

So my questions are

- Will vBulletin be able to handle the database size and the traffic?
    - Will the transition of the data be possible given the size of the database?
    - Will i be able to write my own pages out side of the forum and have them ties in with the forum, in the layout and the authentication code?

warmest regards
    AE

vBulletin has been proven to be the most scalable forum solution for many forum sites, many with 5,000,000+ posts and 1,000 simutaneous users.

You can import your current phpBB data in. Details of the phpBB (2.0.8 - 2.0.10) importer can be found here

As for writing pages on the side, I'm not sure what do you mean. Would you elaborate a little more?

Good luck with your purchase
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Well if you ahve a look at another of my sites http://alternateeagles.com The whole site is tied in with my phpBB through a custom CMS that I have written which uses the phpBB theme and the phpBB auth code.

I was hoping to do the same with vBulletin but the code i found said you need to prove your license before seeing it. I need to be able to test the code first and have a site running before I go live and I cant purchase until im sure its going to work.

As for the large forum posts etc, how does it handle large loads, and has the SQL been written for maximum optimization?
      I imagine serve rlaod would be part of the problem that we are facing at the moment.

Comment

vBulletin was writtin for mid-large sized sites, you should have no problems getting vBulletin to run on the amount of data you currently have. The SQL (as with all other code) is well coded, altho if a better way is found to do something it will ussally make it into release.

As for writting pages that work along side vB, this is not a hard task to do as long as you know some php coding.

Comment

excellent im looking at some server stats at the moment there is 1GB of ram on the server and with 70 people online only 88MB is being used.

ill have to write some code to try to get more specs if they are needed.

Some sample PHP code.. well here is some code i wrote for phpBB for the content pages of my site (there are some internal functions but they dont really matter.

Code:

<?PHP 
            define('IN_PHPBB', true);  
            /*http://www.alternateeagles.com | Alternate Eagles Content Section page: Content Section interpreter*/ 

//Insert the PHPBB includes for integration | Required 

$phpbb_root_path = 'forum/';  
            include($phpbb_root_path . 'extension.inc');  
            include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.'.$phpEx);  

//  
            // Start session management  
            //  
            $userdata = session_pagestart($user_ip, PAGE_INDEX);  
            init_userprefs($userdata);  
            //  
            // End session management  
            // 
            $page_title = "Alternate Eagles";  
            include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/page_header.'.$phpEx);  

//end require additions 

require("api/api2.php"); 
            require("api/functions.php"); 
            //$user = $userdata['username']; 

//Display the content - This should theoretically work no matter whether you are displaying a child or parent. 

// Grab the ID from the variable 
            	  $csID = $_GET["cID"]; 

//Grab the Section Title 
            $csTitle = csgettitle($csID); 

//Determine whether there are children pages of this content section and if so display them 
               if (cshaschild($csID) == '1'){ 
            	  $title = "<center>".$csTitle. " sub-sections";	   
            		 $content = csgetchild($csID); 

$nbox -> Boxrender($title, $content); 
               } 

//Build the main content section 
            $title = "<center>".csgettitle($csID); 
            $content = "<center>".csgetdesc($csID); 

$nbox -> Boxrender($title, $content); 

//If the we are posting into the database, we need to format the insert and parse it to the csinserts() function 

//add this to show the phpBB footer 
            include($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/page_tail.'.$phpEx);  
            ?>

Comment

Very similar, and I am willing to bet could be duplicated to work with vB with less code. In vB there is a file named global.php that takes care of the stuff required on all pages (templates, functions, vaildation, sessions etc.), just by requiring it you get access to everything vBulletin uses to run.

Here is an example of a seperate php file using vBulletin data. Once you are licensed you can find a welth of information about coding with vBulletin avaiable at vBulletin.org

PHP Code:
            <?php

error_reporting
            (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE);

// Some important defines
            define('NO_REGISTER_GLOBALS'1);
            define('THIS_SCRIPT''index');

// Define phrase groups
            $phrasegroups = array('index'); // gets phrases (lang)

// Datastore
            $specialtemplates = array();  // gets cache

// HTML templates
            $globaltemplates = array(
            'index' 
            ); // get templates

// # get vBulletin backend
            require_once('./global.php');

// get users avatar
            $show_useravatar false;
            if (
            $bbuserinfo['userid'])
            {
                require_once(
            './includes/functions_user.php');

$avatarurl fetch_avatar_url($bbuserinfo['userid']);
                if (!
            $avatarurl)
                {

$user_ava '';
                }
                else
                {

$show_useravatar true;

$user_ava "$avatarurl";
                }

// New posts

$sql_newposts $DB_site->query_first("SELECT COUNT(*) AS count FROM " TABLE_PREFIX "post WHERE dateline >= '$bbuserinfo[lastvisit]'");

$newposts number_format($sql_newposts['count']);
            }

eval(
            'print_output("' fetch_template('index') . '");'); // prints html

?>

Comment

Hello, I have a similar issue. My phpbb forum has ~500 members and about 100 unique users per day (i.e. not a lot compared to this one), however it's about history and people tend to post very long replies and articles, so my DB is currently ~400MB, and phpbb seems to die on it every now and then. I am planning at some point to convert to vb (when I raise funds), however my major issue is that I have installed some hacks that have made the DB non-phpbb standard (as in a couple more fields added to some tables). My question is, whether the convertor takes only what information it needs (so I presume it should not be concerned with extra fields) or would it actually have a problem with extra fields in the phpbb tables. Thanks.

Comment

I believe it will only take the default information, assuming you have not altered those tables in a way that prohibits this.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

These seem to be the changes

Code:
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_categories ADD cat_main_type CHAR(1);
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_categories ADD cat_main MEDIUMINT(8) UNSIGNED DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL;
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_categories ADD cat_desc TEXT NOT NULL;
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_categories ADD icon VARCHAR(255);
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums ADD forum_link VARCHAR(255);
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums ADD forum_link_internal TINYINT(1) NOT NULL;
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums ADD forum_link_hit_count TINYINT(1) NOT NULL;
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums ADD forum_link_hit BIGINT(20) UNSIGNED NOT NULL;
                  ALTER TABLE phpbb_forums ADD icon VARCHAR(255);

Comment

Hi Imperial:

All those changes don't seem enough to affect the phpBB import. You can see what the importer imports by viewing this page. However those changes you made to the database/phpBB installation will not be imported.

Hope that helps
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Alternate Eagle
                      I am currently suffering from major issues with phpBB and want to get an idea of whether things will be fixed by coming over to vbulletin.

First some info

Database size: 480 MB
                      Posts per day: 1661.67

This is a high traffic site and average 70 people on line at any one time. At about 3:30 to 5:00 PM the sites traffic increases as the kids come home from school, we guess. At this point the site crashes with phpBB errrors where by the system can not connect to the database.

I have tried in vain to get a response on this from phpBB and have tried everything within my php and SQL skills to resolve this. I have tweaked a lot of code and still the same result.

I am now starting to believe that phpBB may in fact not be the right solution for us anymore.

AE
                      I'm not here to promote phpbb, I'm here because we too are moving to Vbulletin. But I have to defend phpbb here, that is not why you are having problems.

We run phpbb on a forum that usually has 1000+ users at peak times and 3 to 4 thousand posts per day. phpbb handles it fine.
                      We HAD the same problems you had in the past, ALL were HARDWARE issues. At peak times we'd lose database connections etc. ALL were fixed by
                      Upgrading the CPU
                      Upping the MEMORY
                      Tweaks to APACHE especially persistant thread settings.

We are moving because of the features & look of Vbulletin beats phpbb. Not because phpbb won't work for us

Hank;

Comment

Hi Hank:

There is no doubt phpBB can support that many users and we haven't implied in anyway that phpBB can't handle that type of load. We emphasize that vBulletin can handle higher loads with current hardware settings that normally phpBB can not without upgrading hardware.

Comment

Oh no problem we know that, thats one reason we are moving over too. I just wanted to let him know it's often the problems we had came from non software related issues. Good to know since any software needs properly sized hardware to preform at it's best.

This message editor is so much better than the one we have...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X