Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    This requires modifying the code. Once you are a customer you can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org. It would also require multiple licenses as discussed earlier.

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    I want to use one install of VB on my server. I want to use it on multiple sites, but have their header at the top, and side bars and footer and their stylesheet, but I want to mask the domains so that it appears to be on their server, but is really on mine.

Licensing wouldn't be an issue. If I can do this, I'll buy one license for each site I put it on.

So if you are on my site, you'd go to www.ultimatenurse.com/vb/forums and there is the forum with my header/footer/style
    if you are on www.nurses-forum.com and you click "forums" it takes you to http://forums.nurses-forum.com and the forum shows up with their style, header, footer, but it really resides on MY server. Their subdomain points to an IP on my site where their forum resides, but their visitors don't know it's on my server.

This would allow me to use reviewpost and photopost with their sites as well, since the images are hosted locally, but will now be on my server so they'll show up.

It also allows me to have total control over the forums, and not have an outside server connecting to my mysql db.

Can this be done?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Sorry but I don't know how to do what you are asking.

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    bump

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    Let me ask this here. I posted this in the vb org forums but no response so may as well ask it here:

I have jobs software on my site which is powered by www.jobtarget.com.

It is hosted on their server, but doesn't appear that way because I created a subdomain http://nursejobs.ultimatenurse.com and pointed it to the IP they told me to point it to. So when somene goes to it, it directs them here:
    http://nursejobs.ultimatenurse.com/...cfm?site_id=255

It appears that visitors are still on my site in my subdomain, but it's "masked" or whatever that means, with their software in my template...somehow.

Would it be possible to do this with VB? I mean, have MY vb on other peoples sites by pointing a subdomain to my site where the script is, but using their template?

Even if I had to buy multiple licenses, that would be fine too. It would allow me to only use one set of files, or have the files all hosted on my server, so that I wouldn't have to change files on all the other domains every time I want to change something or add a mod.

Currently, I have a bunch of sites using the same database for my forums which use ubbthreads. I've bought a VB license to switch over my site and do some testing before I decide to make the BIG switch, but I want to do it in the best, most convenient way possible.

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    I hope I'm not aggrivating anyone with these questions. My knowledge of "files/tables/databases" is exactly zero.

My knowledge ends at knowing how to ask, "hey, soandso can you install this on my site for me?"

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by c0bra
    I thought the licensing was always pretty clear cut. If you run one set of PHP files then you only need one license. For every additional copy of PHP files and separate database (i.e. not a clustered environment) you require an extra license. Has this policy now changed?
    It has always been, One Set of Tables and One set of files. One Forum

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    so only four then?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You would need to purchase a license for each set of files you are running.

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    well, it would be 2 sets of files because the ultimatenurse site has other things integrated with it.

Let's say there are 10 sites. 7 of them use the exact same files, same content, same db, everything the same, then 3 that don't use the same files.

Could I just buy 4 licenses? One for each of the 3 different ones, and one for the other 7?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Essentially if you use one set of files and each domain points to the same files, database and vB content, then this should be fine. However that doesn't appear to be quite what is going on now in your 3 sites.

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    I have no idea what you mean about the member galleries thing. You lost me there. However, not all of the sites use the galleries and reviews sections because the images are stored locally. Not all sites using the db are on the same server, therefore the images stored locally won't work on them all.

They are SUPPOSSED to be the same version, however no one thing has ever been the same. That is due to me and my lack of a dedicated programmer and ALSO a reason I'm switching to VB.

I want everything to be totally uniform. All the data is the same, the only differences would be:

A) different stylesheets, header/footer
    B) sites on same server have photopost/reviewpost.

I don't want to be in voilation of any license rules, but I will do without certain features/functions if that is what it takes to save on the license costs.

Hopefully, one day, it won't matter and I could just buy a bunch of them and not care what the cost was. Unfortunately, right now that is not the case....

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    A lot of the content is the same but 5starhospitals.com is missing all the info from Member Galleries through Nurses Hobbies that is on the other two sites. Was that an oversight?

Also ultimatenurse.com is running a different version of UBB which means that it's a different set of files (6.4.2 vs 6.3.2 for the other two sites.)

Leave a comment:

• shortbus
    replied
    Ultimate Nurse

Nurse Server

5 Star Hospitals

Here are three of them, but the rest are the same.

Thank you very much for the quick response.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    Originally posted by c0bra
    I thought the licensing was always pretty clear cut. If you run one set of PHP files then you only need one license. For every additional copy of PHP files and separate database (i.e. not a clustered environment) you require an extra license. Has this policy now changed?
    the sites must show the same content.

they just want to see that this is the case on your sites.

i had to provid ethe same info not long ago.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X