Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow forum

Hi,
    I am running a forum at the moment that is quite popular but has been running into huge problems in terms of speed: pages load very slowly, if at all, and even small images take forever to load sometimes.
    I want to know whether things will be better if I switch to VBulletin. How can I find out?
    The forum is:
    www.superiorpics.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

Also, does VBulletin do a professional conversion from Infopop's messageboards?

Thanks!

vb is great on lowering server load. as for the converter i am not sure but i bet there is.

do you know your server specs IE php, mysql versions HD size, processor kind and speed ?

Comment

UBB Threads Importer Details here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=12

vB has a repuitation of being able to withstand high user usage without brining a server to its knees. though it is based on configuration of a server, it is highly efficent. I've seen 1000+ users on a vBulletin board at the same time before and the server was running fine..
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

How about an importer for UBB.Classic? I ask this because I think I might be better off importing all of the files from the UBB.Classic forum I just upgraded *from* rather than the very buggy and incredibly slow UBB.Threads forum I just upgraded *to*.

My server is a dedicated Pentium III dual processor 850MHz with 1GB RAM, and I run 3 sites off it, the busiest being superiorpics.com. It is running Linux. I will add more to this post when I find out the other specifications that I was asked to give.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...25&postcount=6
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Can I ask what other people are running their forums on? What about forums with 15 million+ monthly page views? What computer is this forum being run on?

Comment

VB will run on any server OS which can run PHP and MYSQL (which is virtualy every one) For specifics you can look at this article.http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php
              I use the Red Hat Linux OS and VB works great on it

Comment

Originally posted by chuckee
                How about an importer for UBB.Classic? I ask this because I think I might be better off importing all of the files from the UBB.Classic forum I just upgraded *from* rather than the very buggy and incredibly slow UBB.Threads forum I just upgraded *to*.

My server is a dedicated Pentium III dual processor 850MHz with 1GB RAM, and I run 3 sites off it, the busiest being superiorpics.com. It is running Linux. I will add more to this post when I find out the other specifications that I was asked to give.

whats the bandwith you go through most months? also duel Xenon</SP> would be better.

Comment

Oh dear god..it was running slow like crazy...And when I finally got through, there was:

There are 15 registered and 253 anonymous users online.
                  Max users online was 405 @ Thu Oct 14 2004 05:16 PM

Seriously there's some problems somewhere.

I managed to get this though
                  Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) PHP/4.3.4

Try bumping your PHP to 4.3.9 if you can

Comment

Thanks Mike and ManagerJosh - the server itself is going through about an average of 6Mbit/second because it has 3 celebrity picture websites on it. It has a fully burstable line. I guess the server has hundreds of simultaneous users online what with everyone downloading celebrity pictures. Could it be a problem with my apache settings? or my mysql settings?

Sorry but I have another question: where is a good online place to buy servers such as Xenon ones? I haven't bought a computer in a few years.

Comment

You might want to rent a server instead of colo'ing but if you need to buy a server you might want to look at new egg

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X