Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hours to WOW! me

Hi all

Seeing as how IPB and Invision are now both pay services, I've decided that I'm going to buy one of them. Since I'm already familiar with IPB, but have only had the occasion of being on the user side of vB-based boards, I thought I'd come here to get the other side of the coin.

I'm gonna list some things that I require in board software, and if people could somehow go through each one and assume me that they exist, then it would be appreciated. (ideally link me to each one as well, or provide a name)

Things high on my list.....
    1. Integrated Gallery - a fully-featured gallery software that integrates easily with the member database (in essence, something like Invision Gallery ideally)
    2. Portal software/CMS - something once again that links to the forum database, and can do basic things such as extract posts from certain forums, show last posts boardwide, board statistics, whatever. Ideally this would be free, but if it's only ~$20 extra then I can manage.
    3. Mods - the more mods, the better, since it's kinda fun to play around with them
    4. Paypal-esque payment acceptance system built-in (which I'm fairly sure vB has, but just checking).
    5. Easily skinnable, but then again I'm fairly sure vB is that too
    6. Strong moderation features - the board I'll be using the forum on will likely need strong moderation features
    7. "Shoutbox mod" - I've noticed this gets used quite frequently in my experience
    8. A bonus would be an integrated chat room that once again uses the member database
    9. Spell checker - If there's an add-on spell checker for vB that would be a plus
    Lastly, I have a question about licensing. First off, for whatever board I buy, I'll be getting a lifetime license, so I want to know what that entitles me to.

Mainly, how does it work? With the license am I restricted to having the board hosted on only 1 url for its lifetime, or is it only 1 url at any given time? (ie. uninstall on wednesday, move to another home page and reinstall on thursday).

Also, it's only 1 board running at any given time per license, right?

Finally, there's the issue of updates. If I buy a lifetime license, how long do I get updates for? If the updates expire, how much is it to purchase future versions?

Also, I've noticed while surfing the net that a lot of sites require you to enter a "vB customer number" (or something) before they allow you access. With a lifetime license am I allowed access to those sites "for life", or is it when the update period runs out I'm cut off?

Thanks for your patience in reading all this. Hopefully I get enough answers to "WOW" me into buying vB. Thanks again.

read my sig

Comment

1. Integrated Gallery - a fully-featured gallery software that integrates easily with the member database (in essence, something like Invision Gallery ideally)

Jelsoft dose not offer a gallery of their own, but there are many out there that will intergrate with vBulletin (photopost, 4images to name a few). You can try looking over at vBulletin.org as there are many gallery users over there.

2. Portal software/CMS - something once again that links to the forum database, and can do basic things such as extract posts from certain forums, show last posts boardwide, board statistics, whatever. Ideally this would be free, but if it's only ~$20 extra then I can manage.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82 there are a bunch of scripts released freely by licensed holders that will do that. There are also CMS systems like subdreamer which intergrate with vBulletin
      3. Mods - the more mods, the better, since it's kinda fun to play around with them

vBulletin.org is the home of vBulletin hacking, there are thousands of mods on that site.

4. Paypal-esque payment acceptance system built-in (which I'm fairly sure vB has, but just checking).

vBulletin allows you to set up subscriptions with paypal, and other online processers.

5. Easily skinnable, but then again I'm fairly sure vB is that too

vBulletin is easy to skin, if you know some basic xhtml/css. All editing is done from the admin cp, and you can download/upload backups of your styles. There are many free style/template mods released at vBulletintemplates.com

6. Strong moderation features - the board I'll be using the forum on will likely need strong moderation features

vBulletin comes with moderation fetures, you can move/delete/close any thread or post. Split threads, merge threads. The only thing it lacks is inline moderation, there is a hack released for that at vBulletin.org tho, and I think it is going to be included in a future release.

You can also put users in a moderated group, when they are in this group their posts do not apper til you aprove them.

7. "Shoutbox mod" - I've noticed this gets used quite frequently in my experience

There are a few hacks for this released on vBulletin.org

8. A bonus would be an integrated chat room that once again uses the member database

Again lots of hacks at vBulletin.org for this, using a many softwares (sigamachat/irc for example)

9. Spell checker - If there's an add-on spell checker for vB that would be a plus

Spell checking was avaiable in the early vB2 versions, but relied on a third party site which no longer exists. There are hacks on vBulletin.org, and these hacks allow you to run spell checking via your own server, rather then someone elses

Lastly, I have a question about licensing. First off, for whatever board I buy, I'll be getting a lifetime license, so I want to know what that entitles me to.

If you purchase an owned license you can run the board forever, and always have access to support, the members area, and the resource sites (vBulletin.org/vBulletintemplates.com/this board). You get a free year of download access with your owned license, a year after your purchase you will be unable to download new versions from the members area, but you can renew for $30 USD to get anthor year of access. You are not required to re-new, and can do so at any time.

Mainly, how does it work? With the license am I restricted to having the board hosted on only 1 url for its lifetime, or is it only 1 url at any given time? (ie. uninstall on wednesday, move to another home page and reinstall on thursday).

You can use your board on any domain you want, but you can only have it open to the public on one domain at a time. If you want to switch your domain name all you have to do is change the link to your board in the vBulletin members area.

Also, it's only 1 board running at any given time per license, right?

Correct.

Finally, there's the issue of updates. If I buy a lifetime license, how long do I get updates for? If the updates expire, how much is it to purchase future versions?

As I mentioned before you can download for a year, and re-new for $30 at any time you want. Also most of the time patches will be posted on this board when new versions come out for bug fixes, you have unlimited access to the attachments posted on this forum for life.

Also, I've noticed while surfing the net that a lot of sites require you to enter a "vB customer number" (or something) before they allow you access. With a lifetime license am I allowed access to those sites "for life", or is it when the update period runs out I'm cut off?

You have access to the resource sites for life. We do not require you enter your customer number on these sites. You gain access by registering with an email address that is listed in your acount here at vBulletin.com. Via your members area you are allowed to enter 3 email addresses, users registered on vBulletin.com/vBulletin.org/vBulletintemplates.com with a vaild email are listed as licensed members and allowed to download attachments/post in restricted areas.

Comment

I forgot to mention, if you would like to play with vBulletin yourself before you purchase it you can open an admin demo here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

Comment

also keep in mind here vs IBP support is great and fast you need not use the phone or trouble tickets you can get support right here after you get your licence. in addition not one forum here is moderiated like at IPB. i take support over features that i wont use any time

Comment

Thank you Brad.Ioo, since that was exactly the response I was looking for. I'll take a look over at vbulletin.org, and look into the things you posted, then I'll reply back here.

So far so good though

Comment

Jelsoft created an innovative product. IN MY OPINION, IPB seem to copy.
              Also in my opinion, vBulletin's code is much better than IPB's.

I don't know why people support companies who are dishonest to their customers. IPB claimed that IPB would always be free, and sworn by that. Then they changed their minds and removed all of their posts that stated it would always remain free.
              Don't get me wrong, IPB is good compared to many others out there, despite the messy code. However, vBulletin comes with the icing on the cake.

I'd also like to add that vBulletin's support team are very good and helpful. Their ticket response times are the fastest I've ever seen from a company.

I do not mean to make a bashing post against IPB. All I have done is list some of the reasons as to why I use vBulletin and not InvisionBoard.

Comment

About that....

Support is talked about as a big plus for vB, and I have no doubt about that, but if I purchase a lifetime license, how much support am I entitled to? (lifetime, or is it any year that I have upgrades for).

Also, what exactly does the branding-free option let me do? For example, on a standard board I know that there is the