i like everything i see but one thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i like everything i see but one thing

can the annoying box be turned off, the one that pops up as i scroll the mouse pointer over the post titles

looked in the admin demo and could not see it

to me is is just plain annoying , i see no need for it

thanks

tony

Do you mean the mouse over description for the thread your mouse is hovering over? I'm sure that can be done quite easily by modifying the templates through acp
    Best Regards,
    Andy Huang

Comment

Yes, this can be shut off with a setting in the Admin CP.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanks steve, can you point me to the setting, have looked in the admin demo and cannot see it

tony

Comment

ACP => vBulletin Options => Forum Display Options (forumdisplay)

Length of Thread Preview Text
          This setting allows you to specify how many characters of the first post in a thread to display in the 'title' tag of the thread title on the forumdisplay page.

Set this value to 0 to disable thread previews.
          Set value to 0; save.

Cheers.
          Best Regards,
          Andy Huang

Comment

thanks, easy when you know how, looks much better with that off

tony

Comment

As a personal prefrence, it saves me from having to click on new threads to read them at times (as i get a preview). I know my members love it, but i tend to miss it while i browse other forum software.

Comment

No prob tony.

It's just one of those personal prefrence things... I don't mind it being there, nor do I mind not having it I keep it there on my forums though... Suggestion to vB Team; perhaps make it an user option instead of admin option in the future builds?
                Best Regards,
                Andy Huang

Comment

some degree what you are used to i think, visit quite a few boards, only a couple of which are vb and it just annoys me to hell, can see your point of view and may well run with it, just wanted to know the option was there

would be nice if it was user configurable rather than admin, then we could all be happy

a feature request perhaps!

Comment

If you leave it enabled you could hide it with a condition (or should be able to) and a user profile field ,

Comment

well maybe Zachery, but you are getting way past me! i am still playing on the demo board

Comment

Here's what Zach was talking about:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...e_conditionals

Template conditionals give you a lot of control over what is and is not displayed on the forums.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

A preview of the first message? Not all that useful for me. And I am sure it is a resource hog both for the server and the 56k browser.

Comment

server wise I'm not sure how its coded, so I cannot comment, but it actually uses very few resource bandwidth wise... The admin can control how much of first thread to display; I have mine set at 300 bytes. On a page that displays 40 posts, that's only 40 * (300 + 6 (alt="")) = 12240; a bit shy of 12Kb (11.95). Should take no more than an extra second or two for a 56K'er to load it.
                            Best Regards,
                            Andy Huang

Comment

Running vbulletin on an old server and 350 character cut off, it isn't a big of a stress, the pages load just fine without making the load go up that much. My browser pulls it fine too.

It is just personal preference. I'd keep it on, but I can imagine someone would like to turn it off. The admin on a site can turn it off globally.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X