Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible move to VB, like to ask some questions first.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible move to VB, like to ask some questions first.

First of all i like to say hello to the VB Community, i have heard many good things about VB and the kind of people you are. And thats important to us, you mean what you say.

We have been a IPB community for a long time, but like many dislike the way things have been doing with all the "Changing" of agreements that also come with them.

To be very honest with you, we feel since the change in IPB alot will be leaving the community and heading into other field, some in phpbb where its still free, others into VB as they wish for a honest way to head, not that i am saying others are not honest ......

I have a few questions i would like to ask after reading and spend many days on VB site, trying to understand the changes in planned for people that wish to move accross to VB from IPB.

So i shall now cut to the point and ask my questions.

The current converstion script seams to be not 100% complete, if we did go ahead and moved over how easy would it be to move a site like ours to VB.

How much work would it take to in personal view to get running, like setting all permission again, and opening posts after the update.

What kind of problems would i likely come accross.

What support could i get for the move itself ?, if also the costs of this.

What time frame if any would be best to wait until the convertor script is stable and can perform the needed changes. (more for jerry i think there)

Anyways i guess you know the kind of question that would effect a site, so any feedback would be greatful.

There are currently conversion scripts that are 100% complete that allows you to import IPB 1.3 and 2.0 with no problems at all. They should import majority of everything, forums, posts, pms, threads, and status (positions)

You might have to redo permissions.

A complete list of what each IPB importer can do:
    IPB (1.1 - 1.3)
    IPB 2
    How much work? I don't honestly know, but from what I've read, it is as simple as breathing. There's a manual online to brief you what's going to happen.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex

IF you have problems with the import, the vB team can assist you with no problems, and with no additional charge. I however am doubtful you will need them since it is simple enough.

Hopefully this helps!
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I've imported a IPB 2.0.0 to vB 3.0.3 and had no problems at all apart from one which was me getting the table prefix wrong for the IPB data. Once I fixed that it was a walk in the park.

Basically you just get a row of buttons and you work your way down them and by the time you get to the end the whole thing is done. It took me about 10 mins once I twigged my error for a 40 member, 5000 post, 15 forum site. The last thing to do is move the users into the right user groups and delete the old IPB ones froim the vBulletin ACP.

If I can do it anyone can do.
      Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Thank you for your comments back, i would like to find out also is there any way to test a update to check how well this all runs, not that i distrust what has been said, but the worry of losing our site would be a huge cost to us.

I am sure you understand every site means alot to there owners.

Also could i throw in a few more questions.

If we went ahead, i understand that the way the domain name situation goes, i could only install one copy per licence on only one domain, but i not sure about test sites, could i say purchase VB, and then run a test site on another domain, as we do our work on our home server and not on a live server, but would want to use the VB licence for our main server.

If you can understand that, if not does that mean i would need to purchase 2 licences.

Thank you again.

Comment

Well, if you create a brand new database, and install vBulletin on that, essentially keeping IPB and vB on two seperate databases, you're pretty much guarenteed not to destroy your data from IPB.

As for test sites, the license agreement allows you to run a test copy, but it must be password protected and be only accessible by you and maybe devs. It can not be accessible by the public.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thanks for the reply, its was great to get what i was after, i think you just got yourself a new customer from that reply

I have one further question to ask now.

I know i keep coming with them.

Right....

I plan to go for the lifetime licence with the unbranding options, just to shock people :P and try to get a swift change over and see who will tell

I would like to know, i understand that there would be a further $30 a year to continue to allow access to the customer area, this is not a problem, but would this mean thou, if for example....

I did the above, then the year down the line you brought out a new version, and we upgraded to that, would that version still be unbranded, or would each version we upgrade to need a new unbranding fee ?

Comment

Once you purchase the branding free option, it stays with that license for as long as you own this license. It does not need to be renewed with new versions of the software.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The branding fee is a one time option, which gives you the ability to remove the copyright (but not relable the software) on that license. So vBX in X years from now still would not require the copyright info on it.

Comment

Thank you once again for such a great responce, this has just made us now a customer, payment made, and looking forward to many years of great service.

Mathew

Comment

I am happy to hear that nbsdesignz may move over to vb. I hope this means some of your great work will become available to vb users. When I used invision, I was often at your site and have never found another quite like it. Just wanted to add my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by dcarr
                      I am happy to hear that nbsdesignz may move over to vb. I hope this means some of your great work will become available to vb users. When I used invision, I was often at your site and have never found another quite like it. Just wanted to add my thoughts
                      lol i was just thinking exactly the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by dcarr
                        Hi thanks for such kind words Its great to hear so feedback, and Yes we will be spending our time bring our work now to VB, as there seams more people using VB now, we will not stop our IPB side, but as a company we shall now spend more time now on VB and making free skins for VB, to bring you all a huge skin resource listing site, like we had done with IPB.

I would like to use this sneaky time to ask if any VB skinners would like to help us start our VB database collect we would be so very greatful for any submittions to us to host your works, we will be hopefully adding our own ranges within the following few weeks, be great to have a few more to add to get us started on the way. I can say also we have many staff looking forward to Dev work on skins to help bring a wide range of skills and our talent (:P) to VB.

Thank you all so much for this great support and comments.

Comment

Hahahah shameless plug

But you might try your luck over at www.vbulletintemplates.com

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                            Hahahah shameless plug

But you might try your luck over at www.vbulletintemplates.com
                            :P yer sorry, just had to.
                            Thanks for everyones help, all seams to be ok so far, feel free to close down topic now if needed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X