X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Martog

That's quite a big change from IPB 2.0 admin CP, in terms of features that I did not see by just looking at these forums. There's a lot in there that I've never seen in IPB, looking better all the time. I have to discuss it over with the site owner, who has wanted vB, but I was the final say as I am the primary admin for the forums, and at the time, Invision was free, and better than the other free forums. Now that it is time to step up to licensed or be faced with less featured filled free alternatives, vB 3 is looking the way to go more and more.
    Well whatever decision you choose, I'm confident it is the one you feel you'll be most happy with.

Leave a comment:

• Martog
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    If you haven't already, request a demo.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

That's quite a big change from IPB 2.0 admin CP, in terms of features that I did not see by just looking at these forums. There's a lot in there that I've never seen in IPB, looking better all the time. I have to discuss it over with the site owner, who has wanted vB, but I was the final say as I am the primary admin for the forums, and at the time, Invision was free, and better than the other free forums. Now that it is time to step up to licensed or be faced with less featured filled free alternatives, vB 3 is looking the way to go more and more.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by Martog
    Don't worry, I will. I just dislike the changes going on with IPS now, and it seems like vB hasn't changed much policy wise, so I can see moving over to vB would be a good thing in the long wrong.

The main thing is getting the posts and users and such converted over, that's my main concern. I can change the settings to what I want after the conversion, that's no problem for me. Would give me a chance to really get into the vB Admin CP by having to poke around at everything.
    If you haven't already, request a demo.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

Leave a comment:

• Martog
    replied
    Don't worry, I will. I just dislike the changes going on with IPS now, and it seems like vB hasn't changed much policy wise, so I can see moving over to vB would be a good thing in the long wrong.

The main thing is getting the posts and users and such converted over, that's my main concern. I can change the settings to what I want after the conversion, that's no problem for me. Would give me a chance to really get into the vB Admin CP by having to poke around at everything.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    If there are any other questions please feel free to ask

Leave a comment:

• Martog
    replied
    Well, at least there is a hack for one of the things I want, and a possibility for the other to make it into a future build of the board. The quick reply is not bad, I see that when it is hidden, it stays hidden for the user, so if they don't want to see it all the time, they can just hide it.

This helps quite a bit, time to do some more thinking and looking into before the decision is made.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    The Quick Reply box is not hidden by default, as if a user does not have javascript, they would not be able to unhide it.

There currently is no multi quote feature in vBulletin at this time.

There are a few warning systems at vBulletin.org but not by default at this time.

Leave a comment:

• maggie
    replied
    There is a hack (I believe at vbulletin.org) that will allow you to make the quick reply box a user option (whether it shows up or not)... some of our dial-up users don't care for it, but some of us like it... is that what you're looking for?

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    For that quote feature, it isn't in vB yet however no doubt it will probably be on the to-add list in the near future for vB 3.1

It might be available as a hack at vBulletin.org but I couldn't find it.

Quick Reply - Not sure what are you trying to do..

Warning System - Needs a Codehack. I did some digging for you at vBulletin.org for ya.
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65336

Hopefully that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Martog
    started a topic Questions about features of vB vs IBP

Questions about features of vB vs IBP

First off, I am surprised my account that I made here so many years ago is still active

The forums that I currently administer is IBP 2.0 trial, before IPS pulled the trial off their site. In light of this, I wish not to incur any issues with IPS by running the trial now, and I am looking to purchase either the license for IBP 2.0 or vBulletin 3.0.

I've looked over the importer thread, and it seems acceptable what it imports, so I could just recustomize everything again.

Alright, first concern. In IPB 2.0, I noticed that one can click on the quote button for more than one post, then hit reply, and all those posts on which the button was clicked will be quoted automatically, I haven't seen anything for this on vB, is there perhaps an option in the Admin CP or a hack to add it? I think it is a very nice feature to have.

Second, the Quick Reply box on vB I noticed is set to be open by default, and in IPB, it is activated by clicking on a button and then it will appear. I did notice vB 3 gives the user the option to collapse or expand it at will, and it saves it. Now, would I be able to set it as a button either through the ACP or a hack?

Warn system, is there something like this in vB? I noticed there was a user reputation system, but that is not the same thing as the warn system in IBP. We don't use it much, but I would like something in there like if possible, importation isn't a concern.

That's all I can really think off the top of my head. I suppose I might want to sign up for the demo of vB to try it out and see how it works and is Admin'ed.

I've always liked the more professional forums such as vB and IBP, than phpBB and others, and right now I am deciding which one to choose between, as ther are features in vB that are nice, and some that IBP has that I mentioned above that I would like find out of vB has them or a hack can be placed in.

We do not run any hacks, I might have edited a forum template or two, but I think it was lost in the upgrade to IPB 2, but that was no matter, as IBP 2 added what I did elsewhere in a better location.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X