Starting to brush up on vB. Couple Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to brush up on vB. Couple Questions

Does vB have anything similar to the ssi.php call that IPB uses to allow admin to specify a particular forum to be pulled to an shtml page.

For example... I run Andrax.Net. And anytime a new post is put in the "News" forum, it is displayed on the main index of the site. I would like to keep this ability if I were to change software.

Also, are there any plans or is there a feature similar to a fast reply which opens a small reply box on the existing page without doing the page load of the normal reply? (Just trying to maximize bandwidth etc)

I am sure that I will have a few more. And I appologize if these are not the best pre-sales questions. I'm not very familiar with vB. I'm just an old school former UBB admin who moved over to IPB a few years ago (death to cgi/flat file forums!!! ), trying to keep his options open and his wallet from being empty

We have external.php which ouputs RSS, RSS 2.0, XML and JavaScript of any specific forum. It basically outputs data and you have to use your own methods to get it into something you'd want to present on your main page.

There is a modification on vbulletin.org which allows you to output HTML using a template.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Can you post scripts within a post in vB?

I also post affiliate promotions in my "Affiliates" area and some of those banners are javascript. This is disabled in IPB.

Thanks for pointing me to vbulletin.org, I will go take a look.

Comment

all HTML is disabled in posts do it wont execute the HTML unless you turn on the setting for the forum to do so.

But you can put it within the html tags

HTML Code:
        <script type="text/javascript">var somevariable;</script>
        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Errr, i'm an idiot. LOL. Just noticed the quick reply down here (see first post).

Anyway... As far as the HTML being disabled and being able to be turned on for a particular forum. If this is done, does it mean that anyone can post HTML in that forum, or can you assign that to particular groups that would have access to post html in that forum?

Comment

Anyone who has new thread or new post access could post html in that forum.

Comment

ack!

Comment

No you can specify per group whether to allow them to be able to use HTML in a particular forum.

Comment

No, not by default.

Comment

Is there a hack to do that? To specify which forum and which member group could do it?

Comment

There may be try asking at vBulletin.org or searching

Comment

This is my primary concern as well. I'm basically about to buy a vBulletin lifetime license, but I'm worried about the news import system, since I use that for my website's main page.

Comment

News import system?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrax
                            For example... I run Andrax.Net. And anytime a new post is put in the "News" forum, it is displayed on the main index of the site. I would like to keep this ability if I were to change software.
                            <------- That. I just had the same concern as him, because I currently have the same system installed (with IPB).

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                            There is a modification on vbulletin.org which allows you to output HTML using a template.
                            I'd surely like to test it.

Comment

You can try vBadvacned(vbadvanced.com) or vBindex (coreforums.net)

Comment