No announcement yet.

IPB charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, please. This is a friendly and helpfull board, yet they are eager to assist you, not remove your posts when you mention "the other guys". As I said, anyone can feel free to pm me rather than complain in open forum here.

Comment

they're poor eh? Heh

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
        the 'lite' releases were not 'free vbulletins', they were 'test vbulletins'. Incomplete, buggy, insecury - test versions of outdated source code.
        'Insecury' - ah yes, quite a good word to use
        'outdated source code' - I guess you could use 'source code' to make it sound more raw then it actually was, but that's beside the point. 'outdated' because it was created then, not now. Everything is outdated if you give it a while.

Wow, you really sound like you've just joined the company.

Comment

That doesn't change the fact that vB Lite totally blew in every way and wasn't even meant to be used as a real board though.

Comment

vB Lite was a striped down version of vB1.X vB Lite is NOT ment to be run as active board, there is no upgrade path at all. It would have ALOT of flaws, and bugs, its not advised to be run.

Comment

That is if you can even find a copy of it. :P

Comment

All you need to know is here. vB Lite was a product for testing your server for several functions used by vBulletin. It was released after vBulletin, its maintenance was neglected, and finally it was replaced by the test script that Scott released.

I'm not seeing the parallel that is being insinuated.

Comment

wow, thanks Freddie! That was very informational read!
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

Question

Ok i would like to know this....

The invision convertor, would for one it run with v2 final of there software. Also would there be a way to test the convertions without the need to buy VB to make sure the port is 100%. Alot to lose if we went ahead ourselfs.

Comment

It works, Jerry (importer developer) tests most importers to an obscene ammount (generaly sites in the 100K plus post range). It runs with PF4 and the Trial as far as I am aware.

Comment

As far as I know, yes, it will work. I will try to do that later today on a test installation for you just to be sure (if no vB team people reply before I get back from breakfest). Unfortunetly, you will not be able to test it in advance without purchase as the import script and import system can only be obtained in the members area.
                        Best Regards,
                        Andy Huang

Comment

I'll be doing the change this week-end probably so you will have plenty of feddback by the end of the week to choose

Comment

ipb?

Out of curiosity how did they lie to "us" you have to take into account that they are a company and every company needs money to run, i bought a license just before they started there sale which followed with them deleting the free trial however i have a vb license too, i wouldn't say ipb lied to you, you just need to remember they have a company to run ! and its not a local freebie site.
                            bbdimension.com

Comment

I'd say it's a pretty nasty trick to pull on people to let it be 'free' during the developpement cycle and let people convert their boards to the newest version and then suddently make it pay only, forcing even free-trialers to pay if they want any type of upgrade/patching (which I'm sure will be required very shortly)

I kinda knew this was gonna happen and thats why I made the 'big switch' a couple months back, before any of this fiasco started.. I just had the feeling that things would change (and they did) and that if i was planning to stick with IPB, i'd have to pay.. so i opted for the best paying board out there instead, and it has been the best decision I've ever made.

For those who are worried about the converter.. it worked fine with my boards (but don't expect it to do miracles, it does what its supposed to do, import data, but you will have to verify options and settings) but you'll be pleased with the end result. I had IPB 1.1.2, about 120 mb database, which in the end, resulted in about a 211 mb vB database (since I put all attachments in the database).

And the vB team was always very helpful during that time
                              http://www.avrilstar.com hosted by micfo.com
                              http://www.sandyleah.com

Comment

actually your timing is a touch out, they made the final version and for like a week people where downloading that for free and i know that because i was going to uni at that time and downloaded the free trial myself, but then i purchased one as i needed the support, also it had been on the cards for sometime and its not like they had just finished PF4 and then started charging, they did actually finish the final version and shortly after started charging, anyway its there company they can do whatever they want with it.
                                bbdimension.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X