No announcement yet.

vB features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the suggestion Reeve though we don't want to read either emails or PMs. Around 600 PMs alone are sent from our board each day and a very high number of emails - so it wouldn't be physically possible to do that anyway. We just want some way of monitoring unusual patterns.

The board is primarily used by several charities but we like to know, from past experience, when an individual not a charity starts sending out large numbers of emails. I'd guess that could be an important feature for any company not wanting their board misused by a competitor too. If we could turn off emails for all but the known charities that might be a workround though it wouldn't be first choice.

On vB I assume that PMs can be read in their entirety directly from the DB by anyone with the time and inclination so I don't see there being any new privacy issue involved. Or are PMs encrypted on vB?

I assume the frequency of emails sent be controlled in vB?

Comment

PM's are not encrypted. However if you do plan to read them (for any reasons) you should include some sort of disclaimer in the TOS when a user signs up.

Emails sent to members via the secure form can only be done every X ammount of seconds by a member (the X setting is controled in the admincp).

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        PM's are not encrypted. However if you do plan to read them (for any reasons) you should include some sort of disclaimer in the TOS when a user signs up.
        No Zachery we don't want or intend to read PMs or emails. We would, as said, like the ability to see unusual usage as we can with our current software. I was just pointing out as you've confirmed that on vB so-called Private Messages can be read by anyone with access to the database.

Originally posted by Zachery
        Emails for the most part are considered privte.
        I think that the content of Private Messages should also be considered private to no less an extent. The ability to monitor the extent of email usage I'd have thought less of an issue than the ability for PMs to be read in their entirity - as on all boards.

As you've probably guessed I'm trying to convince myself that the added features I very much like in vB won't be offset by the few that are missing. Thanks for your help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X