Multi-Account Trolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Account Trolls

What security is there in VB to handle trolls who open multiple accounts (e.g. using freebie email addresses)?

I'm guessing there's IP tracking (and hopefully browser, as well), but are there features to manually and/or automatically collate accounts to find the multinamers?

If this stuff is not discussed publicly (and, really, it shouldn't be) feel free to PM me.

thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software.

vBulletin offers various options and features to try and fight abuse. The only 'slip through' is that users can use a proxy and cycle through them, making it harder to block them.

You can turn on email validation, so the email they use has to be working and valid. You can turn on registration moderation, so you can accept, decline registrations before they are moved into the usergroup with permission to post.

Each post stores their ip address, so you can block that IP, eventually .. he will run out of ISP hosts and proxys.

You can also ban email addresses, if majority of abuse comes from free @hotmail.com, you can add hotmail.com to the email ban list.

The who's online.php page shows the IP and resolved host, and the user agent. That might help track abusers.

Registration can also use image verification, so spam bots can't register, a human has to read and type over a combination of letter/numbers.

Optionally registration has a few more 'tweak' options like 'allow multiple registrations: Yes/No' to avoid users with a stored cookie to try again.

All that makes it harder for abusers, and more time consuming.

Comment

Each post stores their ip address, so you can block that IP, eventually .. he will run out of ISP hosts and proxys.
      How does it store the IP address, and how much of a chore is it to go through and do the labor of matching up this info? Also, you didn't answer, but I take it only IP is logged, and not browser. Why is that? More info is better, no?

Comment

I don't know why it doesn't store the agent string. I once wrote a small modification to do just that for my own site.

You can turn on 'log ip, but not publicly, don't log, or show publicly'.
        Admins can click on the IP button in each post and it shows the IP/host for that post.

In the admin control panel you can search which IPs are stored for that user, or if there are more users with that IP.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
          You can turn on 'log ip, but not publicly, don't log, or show publicly'.
          Admins can click on the IP button in each post and it shows the IP/host for that post.
          that's great (though I'd want mods to see it too...easily hacked). Can admins also search for that info? e.g. parts of IP strings, etc? sort by poster name, etc?

Originally posted by Floris
          In the admin control panel you can search which IPs are stored for that user, or if there are more users with that IP.
          I'll have to take a look (am about to sign up for the back room demo). Obviously, there are rarely 100% matches, as most IP's aren't fully static. I hope we can hack it to also do browser info.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X